Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
what happened to new york being number one. Isnt wall street the most important financial sector in the world and isnt the stock exchange the most powerful? Im not trying to start an argument, im just asking
I believe 911 had something to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
what happened to new york being number one. Isnt wall street the most important financial sector in the world and isnt the stock exchange the most powerful? Im not trying to start an argument, im just asking
Nope. London passed New York over the past few years.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
It's very debatable which is #1, New York or London. London has caught up to New York a lot lately and has since surpassed it in many people's eyes. A lot of that can be attributed to Europe's growing power, especially the strength of the Euro against the dollar.

I know what you're thinking "the UK uses the pound sterling as a currency, not the euro". Similarly to why major companies from Texas, California and Chicago list their companies on the NYSE or NASDAQ (as opposed to local exchanges), major companies from Spain, Italy, France, etc will often list their major companies on the LSE or NYSE Euronext (as opposed to local exchanges). So as the euro appreciated against the dollar, even the LSE reaped the benefits.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
I thought the NYSE Euronext was six times as powerful as the LSE?.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
First Reserve, SMH, TPG (main HQ in Metroplex but major satellite in Houston), Sterling, Houston Partners, HM (main HQ in Metroplex but major satellite in Houston), etc.

Of course, anything we are discussing here absolutely pales in comparison with the impressive set of firms located in and around NYC spilling over into Western CT.
Thanks for providing the list of companies. I still don't think Houston could be considered a major financial city in the United States. Even in private equity it's very minor.

Here's a list of the Top Private Equity Firms:

For the United States, New York has 17 (including Greenwich,CT), 4 in Boston, 2 in Washington DC, 2 in the Metroplex, 2 in the Bay Area, 1 in Providence, 1 in Chicago, 1 in LA, and 1 in Houston (it's ranked #46).

Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I thought the NYSE Euronext was six times as powerful as the LSE?.
I didn't think so, but maybe. Investment banking in London is gigantic too. In all honesty, I don't have an ultra in-depth knowledge of why London seems to have passed NYC as the world finance capital. I'm at work right now but if I get a couple minutes I'll try to dig up some more info. I work in financial services so I like researching that sort of stuff.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I didn't think so, but maybe. Investment banking in London is gigantic too. In all honesty, I don't have an ultra in-depth knowledge of why London seems to have passed NYC as the world finance capital. I'm at work right now but if I get a couple minutes I'll try to dig up some more info. I work in financial services so I like researching that sort of stuff.
London has, relative to the US, a "light touch" regulatory environment. This is particularly true since Sarbox and since the post 9/11 "know your customer" crackdown.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Very true...I actually remember something like that in my International Finance class. Something along the lines of the new US regulations working them out of the game.

Thanks for that.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
London has, relative to the US, a "light touch" regulatory environment. This is particularly true since Sarbox and since the post 9/11 "know your customer" crackdown.
sort of off topic,
but you might know the answer. Suppose one has money in offshore accounts-does the US govt have the right to force disclosure of acct info from foreign banks?

Ive heard people say that they can do that and it annoys me.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
sort of off topic,
but you might know the answer. Suppose one has money in offshore accounts-does the US govt have the right to force disclosure of acct info from foreign banks?

Ive heard people say that they can do that and it annoys me.
I believe if you commit a crime and they are aware of your offshore account, they can do certain things to you personally in order to force you to give them that money. For example, they will threaten more severe charges if you don't agree to bring those funds into the United States.

I'm not sure if they can get account info directly from the foreign bank though. I don't see why they'd have that sort of power, especially with certain banks in Switzerland and the Caymans which are known for their confidentiality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City