Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NYC will still be the largest city in 2050?
Yes 628 81.56%
No 142 18.44%
Voters: 770. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
About 20 years ago in the area where my sister-in-law lives, a developer bought up several old single family homes in a row. He tore them down and put three 3 family homes. Look how many more people could live in those. The same thing happened in a few other neighborhoods.

Yes, outside of Manhattan, there is room for expansion.
Exactly, theres even room in Manhattan so there is definitely alot of space in the outer boros. The Mayor is redeveloping about 100 neighbor hoods across the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
if Phoenix keeps growing at this rate can you imagine what it will look like 40 years from now, maybe it will be sprawled out to Flagstaff, j/k. but for real do you still think it will be attractive to alot of people? Will 110 degrees not be attractive anymore? Will people want to live so far out of the city that it takes forever just to drinve into it, think about how far it will sprawl out and how crowded it will be in the next couple decades to come.

I am not hating on PHX just being realistic, the same goes for Atlanta, what will these cities look like in lets say 25 years from now, more like a Chicago or a LA?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if Phoenix keeps growing at this rate can you imagine what it will look like 40 years from now, maybe it will be sprawled out to Flagstaff, j/k. but for real do you still think it will be attractive to alot of people? Will 110 degrees not be attractive anymore? Will people want to live so far out of the city that it takes forever just to drinve into it, think about how far it will sprawl out and how crowded it will be in the next couple decades to come.

I am not hating on PHX just being realistic, the same goes for Atlanta, what will these cities look like in lets say 25 years from now, more like a Chicago or a LA?

Developing cities don't look like Chicago or NYC anymore. L.A was the first big suburban styled city to hit it big. It was a model for the rest to come, but they just don't have the same draw as L.A did. I don't think L.A is as attractive to people as it once was. It's a real shock once you get to L.A. It's not really what you'd expect it to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if L.A, Houston, Pheonix, and Atlanta started seeing negative growth in around 2020. Water is going to become a HUGE problem with rising temperatures. I know someones going to say that they'll have something ready, but its going to be so expensive for just water alone so will it even be worth it anymore?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 AM

202 posts, read 1,008,263 times
I think NYC will have 10 million and Los Angeles 5 - 6 million

Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Developing cities don't look like Chicago or NYC anymore. L.A was the first big suburban styled city to hit it big. It was a model for the rest to come, but they just don't have the same draw as L.A did. I don't think L.A is as attractive to people as it once was. It's a real shock once you get to L.A. It's not really what you'd expect it to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if L.A, Houston, Pheonix, and Atlanta started seeing negative growth in around 2020. Water is going to become a HUGE problem with rising temperatures. I know someones going to say that they'll have something ready, but its going to be so expensive for just water alone so will it even be worth it anymore?

trust me, do a little research you'll find that desalination plants supply enough water to places like L.A., I'm sure if they had to they'd build more of them along the coast, which I might add is pretty big.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:23 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post

It is in the country's best interest to have a California that has plenty of water. An overwhelming amount of California's water goes towards supporting 77,000 farms in California that produce OVER HALF of the fruit, vegetables, and nuts that the USA makes. Almonds, artichokes, figs, olives, persimmons, pomegranates, prunes, raisins, and walnuts are only produced in California. 80% of US strawberries are from California. 21% of the country's milk supply comes from California. 23% of cheese in this country is from California. Do you love butter: well 30% of it is made in California. And I am sure many of you drink wine. 90% of the USA's wine production is from California and 2/3 of USA wine purchases are for a California produced wine. Let California dry up and suddenly your wine prices go from $25 to $150. People tend to undervalue the importance of California's food production for this nation. Let this state dry up and there will be a serious food shortage in this nation. These are just a sampling of the types of crops California leads in. Again, more than HALF of fruit, vegetables, and nuts are from CA.

http://www.agclassroom.org/kids/stats/california.pdf
http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawb...s/ers.htm#more
2008 ICAR (http://www.2008icar.org/about_us_milk.asp - broken link)
http://www.wineinstitute.org/files/E...yer%202008.pdf

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
It is in the country's best interest to have a California that has plenty of water. An overwhelming amount of California's water goes towards supporting 77,000 farms in California that produce OVER HALF of the fruit, vegetables, and nuts that the USA makes. Almonds, artichokes, figs, olives, persimmons, pomegranates, prunes, raisins, and walnuts are only produced in California. 80% of US strawberries are from California. 21% of the country's milk supply comes from California. 23% of cheese in this country is from California. Do you love butter: well 30% of it is made in California. And I am sure many of you drink wine. 90% of the USA's wine production is from California and 2/3 of USA wine purchases are for a California produced wine. Let California dry up and suddenly your wine prices go from $25 to $150. People tend to undervalue the importance of California's food production for this nation. Let this state dry up and there will be a serious food shortage in this nation. These are just a sampling of the types of crops California leads in. Again, more than HALF of fruit, vegetables, and nuts are from CA.

http://www.agclassroom.org/kids/stats/california.pdf
The U.S. Strawberry Industry
2008 ICAR (http://www.2008icar.org/about_us_milk.asp - broken link)
http://www.wineinstitute.org/files/E...yer%202008.pdf

The only place I see haaving a water problem are more inland like new mexico and west texas.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM

149 posts, read 411,861 times
Many people I know here in East TN grow their own grapes and make their own wine. I won't drink anything but good ole home grown TN grapes

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Many people I know here in East TN grow their own grapes and make their own wine. I won't drink anything but good ole home grown TN grapes
Lol what did that have to do with anything.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
trust me, do a little research you'll find that desalination plants supply enough water to places like L.A., I'm sure if they had to they'd build more of them along the coast, which I might add is pretty big.
Current desalination technology involves turning oil into water. In other words, the energy requirements are HUGE, which is why desalination is pretty much the last option that cities turn to. Now maybe we'll have free/cheap solar energy in 30 years so it won't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City