Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose: NY or CA
New York state 136 32.46%
California 283 67.54%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
I love that lifeshadower guy.. He brings da facts
True....You can't even try to hate on him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 34,883 times
Having lived in both states for a considerable length of time, here are my thoughts:

Anyone who states that Cali without clarification is being too vague? What is varied?

Cali is the high-tech capital of the world, particularly for venture captialists. It's climate is moderate [though somewhat monotonous], cost of living is ridiculous, and its coasts are beautiful.

New York is the banking, publishing, advertising and design capital. It's climate is truly varied -- where you can enjoy the distinct differences in all four seasons. With seasons, one can really experience fall colors in the Hudson Valley, interesting winters [though sometimes unbearable], and everyone's spirits lifts together when Spring rolls around. Cost of living is a bit more bearable -- well, outside of the city that is. The architecture, history and towns in upstate is absolutely stunning.

If you can stomach the sometimes-brutal winters, then NY is a far more interesting state. If the high-technology market is your field, well -- then have fun in Cali.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Rick View Post
Having lived in both states for a considerable length of time, here are my thoughts:

Anyone who states that Cali without clarification is being too vague? What is varied?

Cali is the high-tech capital of the world, particularly for venture captialists. It's climate is moderate [though somewhat monotonous], cost of living is ridiculous, and its coasts are beautiful.

New York is the banking, publishing, advertising and design capital. It's climate is truly varied -- where you can enjoy the distinct differences in all four seasons. With seasons, one can really experience fall colors in the Hudson Valley, interesting winters [though sometimes unbearable], and everyone's spirits lifts together when Spring rolls around. Cost of living is a bit more bearable -- well, outside of the city that is. The architecture, history and towns in upstate is absolutely stunning.

If you can stomach the sometimes-brutal winters, then NY is a far more interesting state. If the high-technology market is your field, well -- then have fun in Cali.
Talk about vague, that post was absolutely shocking.
"If you can stomach the sometimes-brutal winters, then NY is a far more interesting state. If the high-technology market is your field, well -- then have fun in Cali" <<<< and your a professor?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
California is the high-tech capital of the world? I would've figured somewhere in Asia would be.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Rick View Post

How is NY FAR more interesting?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
The state of California. It's my favorite state.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How is NY FAR more interesting?
Yeah I'm wondering about that too.

New York has one main city that really draws people from all over...NYC. California has San Francisco and Los Angeles as the main draws, with other great cities like San Diego and San Jose as the next biggest draws.

California does have a varied climate as well- we have coastal areas, mountains, deserts, etc. Each of these areas provides a unique climate. Californians are very fortunate to be able to experience multiple climates all within a couple hours drive from each other.

California also has a lot more to it's economy than just Silicon Valley. Among other things, it also has the entertainment industry and is the most productive agricultural region in the country. California's economy is the largest of any state, and is the eighth largest in the world...so hate to burst your bubble Professor Rick, but CA's economy has a lot more going on than "high technology" (as you put it).
Economy of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For anyone who actually thinks California isn't interesting:

A few of California's natural attractions

Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
And a few of California's amazing cities

Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,261 times
Default Depends on what you're looking for...

There are lots of interesting opinions here... but I suspect they are from people who haven't spent enough time in both places to do a valid comparison. I'm a native Californian, but I've lived in the Bronx for the last 5 years. The Bronx is one of the 5 boroughs in NYC, and it's not going to get much airplay, since when people talk about quality of life in "The City", they're usually referring to Manhattan. Long Island is a far removed, suburban wasteland with ZERO to do in the way of entertainment... it's a safe and relatively clean place to live... probably comparable to St Paul, MN. Queens is a hot mess... seriously boring, with the exception of the Meadowlands for tennis. Brooklyn is bearable (moderately culturally interesting), but if NYC were only Brooklyn it would rank somewhere between Boston and Baltimore... although it's culturally interesting, it's not L.A., S.F., San Diego, or any number of California coastal communities. Staten Island is a Republican enclave/bedroom community... nobody goes there for fun, but the communities there are nice... comparable to many parts of Orange county, or better yet north of SF, the wine country. Der Bx is mostly ghetto and it's is usually bears the brunt of insults in the city... they have the Yankees... that is it. Manhattan... yes, I can't say enough about it. But it's small, unaffordable, many parts are very dirty, filled with tourists... some part are still ghetto, but being gentrified as we speak; Harlem, Washington Heights (the DR section). SOHO, the Village, parts of Manhattan, etc... very cool. But housing there is a crazy unless you're in a rent controlled apt, your cost of living is extremely high. Buy an apt in Manhattan... hahahaha!!! A small fortune. People who are comparing cost of living between CA an NY would be better off comparing apple to apple. The place worth living in NY is Manhattan and most people can't afford to buy there... comparable to sections of SF. But those who live in California know that affordable housing is based on where you want to live.

California = beautiful. There are few places you can live where you can go swimming, go snow skiing, go jet skiing, go hang gliding, go mountain biking, go fine dinning, go clubbing, etc., all on the same day. If you love the outdoors, then California is for you. Yosemite: seriously, there is virtually no place in the U.S. that can compare. The California Coastline = varied and beautiful. SF (Bay Area) = dinning, theater, nite-life... culturally it has no equal... with the exception of Manhattan. Los Angeles: there is something for everyone... it's not Manhattan, but why would it want to be? LA has night life, culturally progressive alternatives, it's not old and settled in it's own history... it's a city that is always reinventing itself. To really compare LA, you have to include the greater SoCal greater metropolitan region.... ... from Pasadena, to Santa Monica, to Silverlake, to Brentwood, to West LA, to the Valley, to Thousand Oaks, to Beverly Hills... it's crazy diverse. But one thing you can say about all of SoCal, it's all with 20 min of wilderness... e.g., San Gabriel Mountains, Santa Monica Mountains, Deserts (Mojave)... the Coastline... and a short drive to Ventura or Santa Barbara. And if you're willing to go out to the Wine Country, the Central Coastal communities, like Big Sur, or other parts of Californian, like the Gold Country, Lake Tahoe, or the far north, like Eureka, Humboldt County... well, now you're talking.

And the weather in California is good virtually all year long. You can buy fresh produce at reasonable prices. Markets in NYC... hahaha! Pathmark is a place they have here, rude clerks and inconsistency in its offerings. California has Stater Bros, Ralph's, etc... yeah, there is no comparison. If you do your own cooking, NYC is way behind the curve... all they have going for it is Trader Joe's, which is really a California store... but be prepared to stand in huge lines in Manhattan... they do love Trader Joe's there.

The only bad thing I'll say about California - it's neighbor to the east; Arizona... okay, there are interesting places in AZ, e.g., Sedona, not much beyond that. Howevere, Oregon, Washington, Idaho... are you kidding me... these state are just as beautiful in terms of it's outdoor playground as California.

Now if we're talking about the people... hahahaha. If you like RUDE people, NYC is for you. If it's true that Californians are fake, give me more fake where people still know how to say "thank you" and smile at you. Strangers will still talk to you... but in fairness to NYer's if you need directions, they are helpful... but that's about the only time they'll talk to you, usually they'll be very rude... it seems like a good chunk of people in NYC have a lot of anger issues... it gets old.

I recommend living in NYC to anyone, for at least one year, if only to give you a better appreciation for California. It's truly a great experience, but raise kids here? You'd have to be crazy, unless you're rich enough to live in select parts of Manhattan... or you can live in a nearby class act suburban neighborhood like Armonk. No, raise your kids in California if you want them to be caring, loving, and tolerant, and thoughtful people.

So if you're mainly a city person, definitely Manhattan is for you - I highly recommend it. But if we're going to compare state, maybe we should compare NY to California, rather than Manhattan to California.

So if you like a population filled with hypertension and diabetes, pick der Bronx. If you are interested in a healthy lifestyle AND sunny skies, CALIFORNIA. Like I said, it depends on what you like.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Lakers_Fan_in_der_Bronx that was quite a response but a little disappointing. I am planning on a visit to NYC maybe next month. I know the Bronx isn't the most safe but I will be staying with relatives in the Tremont area near Crotona and obviously plan to visit the zoo and hopefully attend a game at Yankee stadium. What I know about New York makes me want to visit all the more and I wish I could stay more than a week.

As a Lakers_Fan_in_der_Pasadena I like your name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City