Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some Syracuse area pictures

The views sort of look like Austin

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The views sort of look like Austin
That's what made me put the views of Syracuse up. They do look similar.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I can't believe how ridiculous this thread became. Seriously, the last 40 pages of this thread argued about population diversity and variation of gastronomic choices. That's it. Forty pages. Ethnic neighborhoods. Restaurants. That's it.

Because, I guess, these are the only two distinguishing characteristics of greatness worth discussing.

Actually, I agree with you to a degree. What else do you think we should bring up in the thread?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, I agree with you to a degree. What else do you think we should bring up in the thread?
Frankly, nothing. I think this thread has been beaten to death, and the posters have begun resorting to my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad levels of posturing. Intelligent debate stopped somewhere near page twenty of this thread (and it was spotty even up to that point), yet it has dragged on mercilessly, and without any apparent end in sight. This thread is like a 20 year old dog, lame and without any teeth. If there's any goodness left in the world, someone will put it down.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
More talk of geographic diversity might be a good place to go with pictures showing the huge variety of landscapes. Of course, I'm just asking to drag this topic on longer.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
More talk of geographic diversity might be a good place to go with pictures showing the huge variety of landscapes. Of course, I'm just asking to drag this topic on longer.
I agree, this is probably one of the most fair state comparisons. There are other threads that are CA vs Rhode Island or something to that extent.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, this is probably one of the most fair state comparisons. There are other threads that are CA vs Rhode Island or something to that extent.
Fair if you want to compare population size or GSP. Outside of that, there's virtually nothing similar between the two states, and asking for a preference for two entities that can be appreciated equally is begging for hyperbole and unsubstantiated posturing. It's like asking for a preference between apple pies and vanilla ice cream. They're both sweet, and they're both eaten as desserts. The similarities really end there, and any claim to preference will be completely unquantifiable and solely reliant on personal biases.

And, if the posters want to proclaim their love for whichever state they like and list a few of the reasons why, then more power to them. However, instead of that level of discourse, this thread devolved into acrimonious bickering over ridiculous patently false claims like "Queens has more diversity than all of Texas combined," and instead of ignoring that little tidbit of ignoramity (and other tidbits like it), people leant it legitimacy by actually responding to it. Not only did they respond to it, they devoted forty pages to it. Forty pages!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Meh, it's for the greater good to make people, even unwillingly, learn more about other places. Besides, it's good sport.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,937 times
Quote:
Fair if you want to compare population size or GSP. Outside of that, there's virtually nothing similar between the two states, and asking for a preference for two entities that can be appreciated equally is begging for hyperbole and unsubstantiated posturing. It's like asking for a preference between apple pies and vanilla ice cream. They're both sweet, and they're both eaten as desserts. The similarities really end there, and any claim to preference will be completely unquantifiable and solely reliant on personal biases.

And, if the posters want to proclaim their love for whichever state they like and list a few of the reasons why, then more power to them. However, instead of that level of discourse, this thread devolved into acrimonious bickering over ridiculous patently false claims like "Queens has more diversity than all of Texas combined," and instead of ignoring that little tidbit of ignoramity (and other tidbits like it), people leant it legitimacy by actually responding to it. Not only did they respond to it, they devoted forty pages to it. Forty pages!
Well I see what your saying TexasTheKid but if this thread is ''Forty pages!'' of non-sense to you, just stay out of it. eh?

Last edited by ()_T; 06-10-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:

I know this might be a little hard to accomplish, but if you feel this thread is a waste of time......than maybe you could just avoid posting here???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City