Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Fair if you want to compare population size or GSP. Outside of that, there's virtually nothing similar between the two states, and asking for a preference for two entities that can be appreciated equally is begging for hyperbole and unsubstantiated posturing. It's like asking for a preference between apple pies and vanilla ice cream. They're both sweet, and they're both eaten as desserts. The similarities really end there, and any claim to preference will be completely unquantifiable and solely reliant on personal biases.

And, if the posters want to proclaim their love for whichever state they like and list a few of the reasons why, then more power to them. However, instead of that level of discourse, this thread devolved into acrimonious bickering over ridiculous patently false claims like "Queens has more diversity than all of Texas combined," and instead of ignoring that little tidbit of ignoramity (and other tidbits like it), people leant it legitimacy by actually responding to it. Not only did they respond to it, they devoted forty pages to it. Forty pages!
Good point. But if you feeel that people aren't going to go with there state on some topics, why don't you join in, and change the topics, OR you can provide facts to diprove these myths. Like someone else said, it's good sport, AND on top of all that, this thread seems to be alot more calm then the other STATE vs STATE threads. Not many personal attacks on this one as of late. And yes there is ALOT of "my dad can beat up your dad" type boosterism, but I guess it comes with the territory of C-D. There's not going to be many threads without it.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ok, 3 blocks of one city, great, it can be found all over here no matter what section you're in
See its a ton of comments like this one that left me severely disappointed during my first 2 visits to NYC. I actually took you guys for your word, including the boastful claims of friends of mine, and was underwhelmed. Flushing was completely overrated (it was just like Oakland's Chinatown except less Chinese), Koreatown was a huge disappointment, 4 out of 6 pizza places I tried either sucked or were so so at best. I don't understand the need to exaggerate so much.

NYC has an unmatched combination of variety and accessibility, and I think that is awesome now that I understand what it actually has to offer. But not every neighborhood has every type of ethnic cuisine, and not all of it is even any good. And things didn't stay open anywhere near as late as what folks had claimed in "the city that never sleeps." I'm a night owl, and I expected more stuff to be open late as advertised. Some stuff was, but not a lot of what I was hoping to see open. The only thing I will say is that there are plenty more restaurants open til midnight that I am used to seeing closed by 10PM. But it was nothing like the crazy claims I had heard people make.

I had to do some research to find halfway decent Indian food in the Upper West Side, the Korean I tried in Koreatown was garbage, I had to search to find the apparently one and only Sri Lankan restaurant in the city....the point is, you should keep things in perspective. When you guys say things like this people take it literally, and NY fails to live up to all the hype. What it does offer is amazing though, and I do love it.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
If you say so... people seem to act as though Im comparing everything to NYC...I previously stated very candidly that IM SURE NYC HAS MORE OF EACH KIND OF ETHNIC CUISINE AS IT IS FAR MORE DENSE THAN ANYWHERE IN TEXAS. That SHOULD cover Queens as well. The two are not even comparable entities...No one is comparing Texas to NYC as a city..NYC will always have more urban culture than any city or state in this nation. Nowhere in the nation can compare to NYC *that includes Queens*. LA is potentially comparable depending on preference. But I thought this was a State vs. State thread not State vs. the Nation's most iconic city.

Im not disputing that NYC is unrivaled in nearly every facet of cosmopolitan culture. It maintains a monopoly on all things urban and cosmopolitan. And was a city before Texas was even a state. But that doesnt mean that Texas doesnt have most of the same things NY State and NYC has, as many seem to be implying. It is simply not true.
I fully agree and do not see why they keep forcing you to not only express your praise of NYC, but also to keep having to clarify what you are saying. I think you've made a great point and what you said was very clear to me.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wow, the people who are trying to push Syracuse as having a more diverse selection of food than Houston are out of their gourds. You need to be delusional to be convinced that's true. How do you convince yourself that a city with over two million people, over ninety languages spoken, and no majority ethnic group have less diversity than Syracuse?

Or how about Texas having less diversity than Queens alone? I can understand this on a percentage level, but on a raw numbers level (even with heavily skewed percentages, you're talking about twenty something million people versus two), this is just plain foolish. How can you guys be so willfully ignorant about other states? It's especially appalling considering the claims of having traveled far and wide are thrown into this--how is it that traveling has made someone more myopic?

I love NYC. It's an amazing city--and it's an amazing city even WITHOUT having to inflate what it is to ridiculous proportions.
Exactly! Couldn't agree with you more!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Don't forget the Germans in San Antonio, that's how you get the acordian sound in tejano music, from the intermingling of Tejano and Germans in South Texas.
That's interesting, I didn't know that!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM

I find it interesting that on this thread we're not hearing the NY fans whining about how this isn't a fair comparison size-wise like the NY State vs. CA thread. There was a ton of posts about how it should be several Eastern states vs. CA to make it a fair comparison b/c of size differences, but I didn't notice ONE like that on here. Seems like the comparison is plenty fair to these same critics when NY makes a better showing against another state, but when put up against CA and losing badly the comparison "isn't fair." Where's all the mention of it not being fair when TX is significantly larger than CA? Since NY's doing well here I guess it's suddenly okay then?

Like I said in that thread, it is nothing more than a state vs. state comparison and there is nothing about it that isn't fair. There is no prize being handed out for the winner. Thank you all for proving me right. I just wish you guys had handled the situation with more dignity when you were losing to CA.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I find it interesting that on this thread we're not hearing the NY fans whining about how this isn't a fair comparison size-wise like the NY State vs. CA thread. There was a ton of posts about how it should be several Eastern states vs. CA to make it a fair comparison b/c of size differences, but I didn't notice ONE like that on here. Seems like the comparison is plenty fair to these same critics when NY makes a better showing against another state, but when put up against CA and losing badly the comparison "isn't fair." Where's all the mention of it not being fair when TX is significantly larger than CA? Since NY's doing well here I guess it's suddenly okay then?

Like I said in that thread, it is nothing more than a state vs. state comparison and there is nothing about it that isn't fair. There is no prize being handed out for the winner. Thank you all for proving me right. I just wish you guys had handled the situation with more dignity when you were losing to CA.
Idon't know about anyone else, but i osted in that thread the NYS couldn't match CA, but NYC was greater than any city in CA. I stand by that statement. So what I'm saying is I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Idon't know about anyone else, but i osted in that thread the NYS couldn't match CA, but NYC was greater than any city in CA. I stand by that statement. So what I'm saying is I don't know what you're talking about.
I wasn't addressing you at all lamexican, just those that cried foul in the NY vs. CA thread. You weren't one of them so it doesn't apply to you. Your statement is one I agree with 100%.

I just thought it was sorry how so many posters couldn't deal with the fact the NY was getting crushed in a state vs. state comparison, so they kept trying to find ways to say that it was not fair to compare the two states head-to-head. The excuse was always that CA is so much larger so it should be CA vs. several states in that region. Yet on this thread NY is being compared to an even larger state, but since its faring well here there's suddenly none of said complaining to be found.

I'm just making an observation. There were plenty of level-headed NYers that posted on that thread w/o doing that, you being one of them. I just wanted to make the point that there is nothing unfair about comparing 2 states and that people shouldn't feel so threatened when NY doesn't win at something for once.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
We must be informed with NY have some the best schools in the country.
Not trying to pick on you here, but I just had to point out the irony of how poorly typed this sentence was. Lol.

Quote:
But theres the LA'ers that I feel will do any thing to vote against NY.
The same exact thing exists coming from your side toward LA or CA in general. Ever read any posts by Futcha or Sweetclimber?

Quote:
Anyway NY has more to offer in Small area it being the 27th largest state, 3rd largest population, and 7th most dense state. Now people say NY doesnt have any other city over population of 1miilion, well of course the second largest city in the country is 4 million and NYC is nearly 9 million thats basically 7-8 cities on its own. so when 43% of the states 20 million ppl live in 304sq mi of land other cities wont grow. And 63% of the state living in the NYC metropolitan area. The second largest city by population in NY is only 40 sq mi.
This is strange logic. That's like saying that since Houston has a larger percentage of TX's population than any other city the rest of the state's cities won't grow. That's irrelevant. Just because there is one massive city present in a state, the eventual growth of other cities in that same state will not be prevented. That's neither here nor there.

I find it strange that a state that hosts our country's only mega-city does not have even one other large city. I mean ignoring political boundaries would allow for Philly to qualify, but it is interesting that it happened that way. I don't think that really takes away at all from NY state, but I do think those other cities in NY had as fair a chance to develop into larger entities as any major city had in this country.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Not trying to pick on you here, but I just had to point out the irony of how poorly typed this sentence was. Lol.

The same exact thing exists coming from your side toward LA or CA in general. Ever read any posts by Futcha or Sweetclimber?

This is strange logic. That's like saying that since Houston has a larger percentage of TX's population than any other city the rest of the state's cities won't grow. That's irrelevant. Just because there is one massive city present in a state, the eventual growth of other cities in that same state will not be prevented. That's neither here nor there.

I find it strange that a state that hosts our country's only mega-city does not have even one other large city. I mean ignoring political boundaries would allow for Philly to qualify, but it is interesting that it happened that way. I don't think that really takes away at all from NY state, but I do think those other cities in NY had as fair a chance to develop into larger entities as any major city had in this country.
Sorry about the grammar mistakes, but I never really cared much about that when i was on the computer. I'm so use to using my iPhone most of the time. Anyway what i meant was since most people are concentrated in one are especially an when its one of the greatest cities in the world you will see that a lot of the other cities in the state are not looked upon as much. I have alot of friends who moved in or closer to the city from upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City