Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Sounds like a subjective statement. If true, so Orlando has an awesome airport?
I personally think it's absolutely beautiful.

You will never hear this though from certain bitter, former residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Cleveland's airport has rapid train, bus, taxi, and freeways that connect it to Downtown and other neighborhoods.

Is Orlando airport really that nice? I've never been to it, so I don't know what to compare it to.
Same with Orlando, costello_musicman. There are buses, taxis and freeways that connect the entire region to the airport. Just not a straight-shot expressway to Downtown.

I do absolutely give Cleveland credit for having the first Airport to Downtown rail connection in North America. It was WAAAY ahead of it's time on this one.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So, why don't you tell us exactly how many U.S. airports have direct rail access to their respective Downtowns?

APTA: Airports with Direct Rail Public Transportation Access (http://www.apta.com/research/stats/rail/airport.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

APTA: Airports with Direct Rail Public Transportation Access (http://www.apta.com/research/stats/rail/airport.cfm - broken link)
Google Master! Thanks.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Good link, with the exception of claiming the Airtrain for JFK.

Okay, so how many of these places are larger than metro Orlando?

Answer - ALL of them with the exception of Portland, and admitted leader in transit.

Even your much vaunted Miami (that always seems to escape the bashing for some reason) is YEARS away from connecting their Airport with Downtown.

Next.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Even your much vaunted Miami (that always seems to escape the bashing for some reason) is YEARS away from connecting their Airport with Downtown.

Next.
At least Miami has rail access to its airport. I dont vaunt Miami, I just think its the best of the Florida cities.

South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) (http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/stm_wday.asp - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
At least Miami has rail access to its airport. I dont vaunt Miami, I just think its the best of the Florida cities.

South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) (http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/stm_wday.asp - broken link)
Um, no - it doesn't. Try it sometime, and then tell us how connected it is.

A shuttle van from a remote station is NOT direct rail access. Otherwise, Boston would be included on the list you linked to.

They are still several years from a direct rail connection.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Um, no - it doesn't. Try it sometime, and then tell us how connected it is.

A shuttle van from a remote station is NOT direct rail access. Otherwise, Boston would be included on the list you linked to.

They are still several years from a direct rail connection.
I agree but it is a start. I always commend sunbelt cities that at least try to offer its residents an option other than driving.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Just so everyone knows where I'm coming from, I am not here to bash Cleveland. It is my hometown. Something that I happen to be very proud of. Cleveland is one of a small handful of cities that actually built this country.

I am here to defend all the mindless crap that is constantly being spewed about Orlando. As long as the "it's not a real city, etc." nonsense keeps happening, I will defend the place.

Every place has redeeming qualities.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Quote:
Just so everyone knows where I'm coming from, I am not here to bash Cleveland. It is my hometown. Something that I happen to be very proud of. Cleveland is one of a small handful of cities that actually built this country.

I am here to defend all the mindless crap that is constantly being spewed about Orlando. As long as the "it's not a real city, etc." nonsense keeps happening, I will defend the place.

Every place has redeeming qualities.
I understand better where you are coming from now at least. Personally, I've never been to Orlando, so I had no idea. I started this thread out of fun due to the Cavs-Magic match-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City