Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

So if you stay in KC,K and play in KC,MO (taking in a couple of Royals games) is there any problem with either Uber or taxi cabs crossing the state line to transport you back and forth? Different states, different licensing, maybe. I would hate to find out I booked my hotel on the wrong side of the river. I didn't think it mattered but, then again, the things I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM

404 posts, read 456,894 times
Why would you want to stay in kck? I'm not even sure they have many hotels to stay at.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM

166 posts, read 157,978 times
The difference between Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas is the exact same difference between Paris, France and Paris, Texas.

Everything unique about Kansas City's history, music and culture is from the Missouri side. Every single attraction and "what makes a city a city" is all on the Missouri side.

Kansas City Missouri was an existing city when the territory of Kansas became a state. So Kansas City Missouri had the geographical name "Kansas City" before Kansas stole the name. The town of "Wyandotte" KS across the river then made matters even more confusing by changing it's name to "Kansas City, Kansas."

Yes, the state of Kansas is that lame, non-creative and pathetic. Kansas Citians loath any association with the state of Kansas but we're stuck. Too bad Colorado couldn't have been to our immediate west.

Here's 2 graphics that explain.

Kansas City Kansas is in the foreground and Kansas City Missouri skyline is in the background

Old 05-03-2016, 12:07 AM

404 posts, read 456,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Uh, Kansas City, Kansas is part of the KCMO metropolitan area too.
KC,MO has some large suburbs. KCK is not even the largest.

Overland Park KS (190,000)
Kansas City KS (150,000)
Olathe KS (135,000)
Independence MO (120,000)
Lee's Summit MO (100,000)

Old 05-03-2016, 09:53 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harrelson View Post
So if you stay in KC,K and play in KC,MO (taking in a couple of Royals games) is there any problem with either Uber or taxi cabs crossing the state line to transport you back and forth? Different states, different licensing, maybe. I would hate to find out I booked my hotel on the wrong side of the river. I didn't think it mattered but, then again, the things I don't know.
You can now get an Uber back and forth (didn't used to be that way, but KS got its regulatory problem fixed, I believe) or a taxi (though it's pretty hard to get a cab in KCK). Where in KCK are you staying? If it's by KUMed, in Rosedale, KCK is basically indistinguishable from western Midtown. If you are out by the Speedway, and Legends, it's a bit of a hike, especially to a Royals game. Definitely want to Uber it that far.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You can now get an Uber back and forth (didn't used to be that way, but KS got its regulatory problem fixed, I believe) or a taxi (though it's pretty hard to get a cab in KCK). Where in KCK are you staying? If it's by KUMed, in Rosedale, KCK is basically indistinguishable from western Midtown. If you are out by the Speedway, and Legends, it's a bit of a hike, especially to a Royals game. Definitely want to Uber it that far.
I think a lot of people not from KC will call the entire KS side of the metro KCK when locally that's not what people do. I have heard people say they are staying in Kansas City, Kansas for example, when they are actually staying in Overland Park. So maybe that's what they meant. I don't see why anybody would come to KC and and stay in KCK unless the hotels in KC were all sold out or something. I think Downtown KCK has one hotel.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,958 times
Actually, unless you have some direct ties to the Kansas City area, it is more commonly believed that Kansas City is in KANSAS. The Chiefs, nor the Royals (though known as Kansas City sports teams) are not tagged as the Missouri Chiefs or the Missouri Royals.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,958 times
Wink Kansas City? That's Kansas, right?

Marginal Critic;50318312]Actually, unless you have some direct ties to the Kansas City area, it is more commonly believed that Kansas City is in KANSAS. The Chiefs, nor the Royals (though known as Kansas City sports teams) are not tagged as the Missouri Chiefs or the Missouri Royals. The Kansas 'burbs have a lot to offer for family entertainment, as well.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 PM

127 posts, read 131,903 times
Quote:
The Kansas 'burbs have a lot to offer for family entertainment, as well.
Like what? Let's say someone from StL decides to drive to KC for a weekend getaway. What could they do in said "burb" that is unique or defines KC?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
The Kansas side of KC of kind of a joke. Soccer fields and shopping centers. BFD. Same thing you will find in any of the top 100 metros in country and in the Missouri suburbs of KC. The people that live on the KS side of KC think it's amazingly unique and special though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City