Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,520 times

Advertisements

So, we escaped Seattle for a couple of weeks for a break from all the rain.
What did we get ??????, MORE RAIN !!!!
However we did get a few days of sunshine. The average temp. was about 65-68 degrees, -veery pleasant.

Actually, San Diago seems to be a very nice town and was very enjoyable to visit. Seattle can never equal the beauty Balboa Park, the internationally famous San Diago Zoo, Sea World, Safari Park near Escondido, and all those museums all grouped together at Balboa Park.
BUT!!!!, their international airport is practically downtown. It is like if Seattle put their international airport on Harbor Island, if not closer.
Their freeway's didn't seem quite as congested as our I-5 at peak commuter hours, -and they don't have a multi-billion dollar light-rail that nobody seems to use here.
We didn't like the San Diago area beaches, they are all impacted with continuous wall-to-wall houses that line up one side of Highway 101 with the beaches on the other side of 101, -not at all scenic like Northern, California, Oregon, and Washington's coast lines. I'm referring to Carlsbad and Oceanside as examples.
It was a great vacation experience. We stayed at the Lourence Welk Resort north of Escondido. Lourence Welk bought this 640 acre section in a quiet, secluded vally before I-15 came through. He paid $100,000 for the whole section in 1964. Today you can't even buy a small lot in Seattle's distant suburbs for that price.
So, like Seattle, San Diago has it's vertues. If you lived there I can see no reason why you would want to move to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
I'm sure they would love you there.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We went there often when we lived in CA, and my daughter went to college there in the late 90s, and it's nice, but the only thing I like better there than here is the crashing waves of the ocean. We only have the mild waves of the bay.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,709 times
San D-i-e-g-o

Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 PM

940 posts, read 2,028,275 times
L-a-w-r-e-n-c-e Welk

v-i-r-t-u-e-s

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM

also, San Diego does have a light rail system:

Old 05-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, we escaped Seattle for a couple of weeks for a break from all the rain.
What did we get ??????, MORE RAIN !!!!
However we did get a few days of sunshine. The average temp. was about 65-68 degrees, -veery pleasant.

Actually, San Diago seems to be a very nice town and was very enjoyable to visit. Seattle can never equal the beauty Balboa Park, the internationally famous San Diago Zoo, Sea World, Safari Park near Escondido, and all those museums all grouped together at Balboa Park.
BUT!!!!, their international airport is practically downtown. It is like if Seattle put their international airport on Harbor Island, if not closer.
Their freeway's didn't seem quite as congested as our I-5 at peak commuter hours, -and they don't have a multi-billion dollar light-rail that nobody seems to use here.
We didn't like the San Diago area beaches, they are all impacted with continuous wall-to-wall houses that line up one side of Highway 101 with the beaches on the other side of 101, -not at all scenic like Northern, California, Oregon, and Washington's coast lines. I'm referring to Carlsbad and Oceanside as examples.
It was a great vacation experience. We stayed at the Lourence Welk Resort north of Escondido. Lourence Welk bought this 640 acre section in a quiet, secluded vally before I-15 came through. He paid $100,000 for the whole section in 1964. Today you can't even buy a small lot in Seattle's distant suburbs for that price.
So, like Seattle, San Diago has it's vertues. If you lived there I can see no reason why you would want to move to Seattle.
I always found San Diego kind of underrated in some ways and I think it has a good future as a city. It seems like a more affordable lower crime version of Los Angeles.

I agree both Seattle and San Diego have their virtues and positive stuff.

But come on! I can see if someone lived in San Diego if they wanted to move to Seattle and have plenty of reasons to do so. It is like getting to live in a very different place that is still similar in some ways.

I do like both places but I like Seattle more for the vast majority of things.

However, San Diego does have much better weather than Seattle in a lot of ways(San Diego is a bit too dry for me and not enough seasonal variation but Seattle is quite a bit too cloudy and cold for me.).

Also that is impressive San Diego has that impressive collection of museums in Balboa Park! Why does Seattle not have an impressive collection of museums like that in a certain location? Seattle art museum and Seattle asian art museum are great museums but I would like more museums in Seattle.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
also, San Diego does have a light rail system:
San Diego would probably get more recognition for its light rail if it actually went places that I wanted to go while visiting there, like the Airport, Hillcrest, Balboa Park, La Jolla, and Mission Beach. Light Rail to El Cajon and San Ysidro doesn't do much for me.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,875 times
Seattle is OK, too far removed from the rest of the USA, but love San Diego. Seattle's weather is extremely depressing year round.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
San Diego would probably get more recognition for its light rail if it actually went places that I wanted to go while visiting there, like the Airport, Hillcrest, Balboa Park, La Jolla, and Mission Beach. Light Rail to El Cajon and San Ysidro doesn't do much for me.
Yeah it's really more of a commuter rail system. I live in LA and go to SD relatively frequently and I think I've been on the train a grand total of twice. Like LA and SF, you take buses to get around the central city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City