Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 AM

318 posts, read 951,049 times

Advertisements

When referring to Chinatowns, I am referring to the historical inner-city urban districts which were settled in by immigrants, not suburban "new" Chinatowns, i.e., Richmond BC, SGV in California...

Make your case and post pictures if desired. Don't come up with some BS list saying that 'X' chinatown is the best because it has so many more square blocks than 'Y' chinatown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,924,234 times
I've been to both NYC's and San Francisco's Chinatowns (considered the top 2). Honestly, I went to NYC at night and don't remember what it really looked like, but the food was great. San Francisco's Chinatown felt like being in another country. Nothing was in English and I couldn't believe I had been in my hotel only minutes earlier. Again, it had amazing food!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
I would say NYC's chinatown is the best. There is a chinatown in Manhattan and Queens.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Definitely SF's. It's much more picturesque (though quite gawdy in places) and has much better food than New York's Chinatown.

Let me guess, nycrican, you've never been to the SF chinatown. Hell, maybe you've never been to any chinatown outside of NYC.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 AM

315 posts, read 667,271 times
It has to be Manhattan's and SF's. I haven't been to the one in Flushing in recent years but I heard it has really been up and coming.

Manhattan's Chinatown is extremely impressive, very vibrant, and it feels, very, VERY Chinese with all those street vendors (including fake designer vendors)on those narrow, crowded, sidewalks, and streets just inundated with Chinese signs. Manhattan's Chinatown is definitely the most authentic Chinatown I know of by far...The grittiness, dirt, and smells makes it feel even more authentic. I didn't find Chicago's or even Philly's to be impressive in comparison.

I have never been to SF's.. From what I understand, SF's is physically larger (more blocks) but Manhattan's is denser, even more crowded, and more vibrant... likely dirtier too.. (so probably more like the real thing in that regard).

I'd be grateful if someone (who has been to both) were kind enough to post an informed, HONEST, AND UNBIASED comparison of Manhattan's vs SF Chinatowns... If you have some sort of agenda and are just looking for opportunities to belittle NYC/SF or are incapable of giving a balanced analysis, don't bother please. lol.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-07-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
NYC's Manhattan.....mostly all the legal chinese immigrants settled here in NYC in the early 1900's after coming through to Ellis Island? My grandparents came through here and settled in NYC for a while.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,893 times
I've been to the Chinatowns in SF, Oakland, LA, Manhattan, Flushing, and DC. For me, none of the rest touch SF's. From the food selection to the look, feel and vibe, SF's is the best hands down IMO.

After that, for me the order is Manhattan, LA, Oakland, Flushing, then DC.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
San Francisco is the best for tourists-by far.

But I would rather go to Oakland's Chinatown if I actually want to buy fresh produce, meat, etc. I also prefer the restaurants in Oakland.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
SF feels like you walked into a different country, NYC, you still know you are in NYC. I've been to Chicago and Boston as well, they are cool but in a separate league.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Growing up in Manhattan, I had been to Chinatown many times, but I had never really "been" to Chinatown until we went there with a man of Chinese ancestry who had grown up there. He took us to his neighborhood during the New Year's celebrations. We ate at a restaurant down a basement which had the best Chinese food I ever had. He took us to a bakery. We went to a temple where we lit a candle and said a prayer to our ancestors. We then watched the New Year's parade. My daughters were still young then and they both went into class the next day and gave speeches on their experiences.

It was a very, very nice day for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City