Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

I'm SxSE Asian, so I feel qualiffied to talk especially because I'm part Singaporean.

San Francisco
VANCOUVER (WHY IS THIS NOT BEING MENTIONED?)
Seattle
Los Angeles
New York
Honolulu

You're stepping on stones with everything else, including Toronto. I haven't been to Seattle of the cities I listed but I'm pretty sure its up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
San Fran
Los Angeles
Chicago
Atlanta or Houston for the south
Boston
D.C

New York
Manhattan
Brooklyn
Flushing, Queens

Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post

New York
Manhattan
Brooklyn
Flushing, Queens
Okay, so list Bay Area Chinatowns as:
San Francisco
Inner Richmond
Oakland

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC and SF are more known and larger though after these in the US Philly may actually be one the next largest in all honesty and pretty authentic actually
It's big for an East Coast city, but I'm pretty sure there are several larger Chinatowns on the West Coast. Philly, Boston, Chicago and Houston have the biggest Chinese populations east of the Rockies. It's hard to actually rank Chinatowns, but I'm betting it's similar to the population rankings (Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Boston) or the percentage rankings (Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston).

New York is obviously excluded because it's a level above all of those.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Okay, so list Bay Area Chinatowns as:
San Francisco
Inner Richmond
Oakland
When you say Inner Richmond I am assuming you are referring to the neighborhood and not some part of Richmond, yeah?

I actually really like Oakland's Chinatown, at least the 2-3 times I've been.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
When you say Inner Richmond I am assuming you are referring to the neighborhood and not some part of Richmond, yeah?
Yeah, I'm not sure what they have going on in Richmond, CA. I was referring to the neighborhood out in The Avenues.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what they have going on in Richmond, CA. I was referring to the neighborhood out in The Avenues.
I worked in Richmond for a few months (still with the company but in SoCal now) - there's not much of anything going on there other than lots of crime. There is a large Asian population in Richmond though I don't think it is Chinese.

I don't know too much about San Francisco really, but I had no idea that Inner Richmond was sort of like a 2nd Chinatown.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
I haven't been to Seattle of the cities I listed but I'm pretty sure its up there.
Seattle has the International District which used just be called Chinatown a long time ago--but was renamed to reflect the mix of Asian ethnicities in that area--there's a section with Japanese businesses and a large Japanese grocery store--along with a mix of other Southeast Asian businesses. The surrounding area to the east is mostly Asian, but tends to be more Vietnamese these days. The International District itself can seem fairly quiet--I doesn't compare the really large Chinatowns in SF or NYC or Vancouver, it's bigger than somewhere like Boston, though Philadelphia's Chinatown might actually be comparable in size to Seattle.

Quote:
I don't know too much about San Francisco really, but I had no idea that Inner Richmond was sort of like a 2nd Chinatown.
The Inner Richmond and a good portion of Inner Sunset have a large Chinese population. Clement Street(and Geary Blvd) is sort of the heart of the Richmond Chinese community--though it's not strictly Chinese businesses(lots of Korean and SE Asian restaurants and even Russian businesses and a church). But you'll find Chinese businesses all over the west side of San Francisco--and to the south in Daly City.

Which brings up another thing--with the increase in Chinese immigrants to the US, there's many more Chinese areas outside of the traditional Chinatowns these days. Some of the best Chinese restaurants I've gone to in the Bay Area have been in fairly generic strip malls in the suburbs a long way from any sort of Chinatown. Or in Vancouver, the real Chinese community is out in the suburbs--and some of the best food is at the giant Hong Kong-style malls out in the suburb of Richmond, BC. That being said, the Chinatowns in San Francisco and Oakland are still interesting places to check out.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
I worked in Richmond for a few months (still with the company but in SoCal now) - there's not much of anything going on there other than lots of crime. There is a large Asian population in Richmond though I don't think it is Chinese.

Yeah, the area along clement street (and to a lesser extent running parallel along Geary street), in the outer avenues of the Richmond district is considered to be SF's second chinatown. SF has more heavily Chinese business districts/neighborhoods in addition to that though. The following areas are almost like mini-chinatowns and could certainly be considered legit chinatowns in many less-chinese cities than SF:

San Bruno Ave. (the section in the Portola district)
Irving Street (the section in the outer sunset)

And then there are areas that have many chinese businesses and residents mixed in with an equal or larger amount of non-Chinese businesses, such as:

Taraval Street in the outer sunset
Ocean Avenue in Ingleside/Lakeview

But i guess that's to be expected, seeing as 20% of SF is Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City