Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
That's because you are narrow minded.
Not necessarily. If you've been following the past few pages, we've been having a discussion on why certain people are feeling certain ways. I personally think a place is vibrant if it's an area where people live, work and play.

A strip mall is a place where people go to get food or shop. Nobody lives in a strip mall (at least I hope not haha). In the traditional neighborhoods, there are people living above or directly around all the shops. In my mind, that's what makes something vibrant.

Don't call me "narrow minded" just because we have differing opinions. If you find the strip mall-style to be vibrant, then that's totally fine with me. I don't share your opinion. What's so narrow minded about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not necessarily. If you've been following the past few pages, we've been having a discussion on why certain people are feeling certain ways. I personally think a place is vibrant if it's an area where people live, work and play.

A strip mall is a place where people go to get food or shop. Nobody lives in a strip mall (at least I hope not haha). In the traditional neighborhoods, there are people living above or directly around all the shops. In my mind, that's what makes something vibrant.

Don't call me "narrow minded" just because we have differing opinions. If you find the strip mall-style to be vibrant, then that's totally fine with me. I don't share your opinion. What's so narrow minded about that?
People live ,work, and play in Houston's chinatown. It's not filled with wal-mart sized parking lots, and only about 10 chinese stores. It's very big, and offers probably just as much as northern chinatowns. Just only difference is, it's suburban.

I'll try to find some pictures that show you what I'm saying, but it's hard to find any that show off the whole area.

It includes the Hong Kong City Mall

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/h...wn_history.htm

Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People live ,work, and play in Houston's chinatown. It's not filled with wal-mart sized parking lots, and only about 10 chinese stores. It's very big, and offers probably just as much as northern chinatowns. Just only difference is, it's suburban.

I'll try to find some pictures that show you what I'm saying, but it's hard to find any that show off the whole area.

It includes the Hong Kong City Mall

History of Houston Chinatown
I think the difference is that the Chinese population is Houston is still relatively small compared to Northern cities with established Chinese communities and neighborhoods.

For example in a city like Boston that is considerably smaller than Houston the Chinese population is almost four times the size of Houston's, so I very much doubt that Houston's suburban Chinatown would offer even near to as many options as a historic ethnic enclave like in NYC, SF, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston, etc....because the demand just is not on that level.

I personally do not agree that a Suburban Chinatown cannot exist though, as I used to live in Markham/Richmond Hill Ontario (a suburb of Toronto) and the Chinatown there can rival any major city. That is the exception though because 35% of the population of Markham and 21% of Richmond Hill is Chinese. (Total Chinese population: Markham: 98,000, Richmond Hill: 35,000) More than 5 times the population of Metro Houston!

I think the point everyone is making is that you cannot compare a newly established suburban Chinatown with a relatively small population of Chinese people with an established Ethnic neighborhood in a city with a large and vibrant Chinese population.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
I think the difference is that the Chinese population is Houston is still relatively small compared to Northern cities with established Chinese communities and neighborhoods.

For example in a city like Boston that is considerably smaller than Houston the Chinese population is almost four times the size of Houston's, so I very much doubt that Houston's suburban Chinatown would offer even near to as many options as a historic ethnic enclave like in NYC, SF, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston, etc....because the demand just is not on that level.

I personally do not agree that a Suburban Chinatown cannot exist though, as I used to live in Markham/Richmond Hill Ontario (a suburb of Toronto) and the Chinatown there can rival any major city. That is the exception though because 35% of the population of Markham and 21% of Richmond Hill is Chinese. (Total Chinese population: Markham: 98,000, Richmond Hill: 35,000) More than 5 times the population of Metro Houston!

I think the point everyone is making is that you cannot compare a newly established suburban Chinatown with a relatively small population of Chinese people with an established Ethnic neighborhood in a city with a large and vibrant Chinese population.
Your right about Boston area having a bigger asian population, but as far as food and culture go. I doubt Boston offers more. The Houston area has large asians communities scattered across the area.

Houston ranks fifth after New York, Los Angeles, Honolulu and San Francisco for most asian owned businesses. Also, some years back It was also ranked in the top 10 for Asian American Travelers by the Travel Industry Association of America.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your right about Boston area having a bigger asian population, but as far as food and culture go. I doubt Boston offers more. The Houston area has large asians communities scattered across the area.

Houston ranks fifth after New York, Los Angeles, Honolulu and San Francisco for most asian owned businesses. Also, some years back It was also ranked in the top 10 for Asian American Travelers by the Travel Industry Association of America.

Well I cannot speak from experience, I have spent absolutely no time in Houston's Chinatown. I do have friends in the area though, who used to live in Toronto, and they always complain about how mediocre the Chinese food is compared to what they used to get in Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill. So I can just base it on that.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Toronto probably has a ridiculous Chinatown though...it's tough to compare the two.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Well I cannot speak from experience, I have spent absolutely no time in Houston's Chinatown. I do have friends in the area though, who used to live in Toronto, and they always complain about how mediocre the Chinese food is compared to what they used to get in Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill. So I can just base it on that.
mediocre it may be to them (I don't know where they get their food from) but Houston still offers an amazing amount of variety when it comes to Asian food.

Just to clear something up, Houston Chinatown is a mix of all types of Asian cultures, not just Chinese.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
That's because you are narrow minded.
The irony of this post.

What's narrow-minded here is the fact that you're throwing out an insult at someone who in subsequent posts showed that they are able to think outside of their own box. He respects a differing point of view, but when you see that he's not agreeing with you, you show that you are unable to do the same. "Narrow-minded" was the perfect term to use here, now all you need to do is redirect it to yourself.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 PM

^^ Thanks man

Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post

And since we're on the subject, I think this suburban Koreatown is far superior to the itty bitty block or two they call "K-town" in NYC. That one was very disappointing IMO. So a suburban Asian business district has the potential to excel beyond a more traditional urban version. I just feel that in most cases they don't do that.
Manhattan's K-Town is NOT the main Koreatown for NYC. It's just the Manhattan business area for Koreans. There are no Koreans living there or anything.

The main Koreatowns in NYC are on Northern Boulevard in Queens (just east of downtown Flushing) and on Broad Ave, in Palisades Park, NJ (just across the river from Manhattan).

The NY area is the second largest concentrations of Koreans outside of Korea (LA is largest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City