Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times

Advertisements

I would have to go with SF.... I had the most authentic food there. I love NYCs chinatowns and Flushing even more. I just think that SF has this one on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Talking North American cities with the best/most vibrant Chinatowns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
When referring to Chinatowns, I am referring to the historical inner-city urban districts which were settled in by immigrants, not suburban "new" Chinatowns, i.e., Richmond BC, SGV in California...

Make your case and post pictures if desired. Don't come up with some BS list saying that 'X' chinatown is the best because it has so many more square blocks than 'Y' chinatown.
North American cities - well that leaves out the one here in the land of the LuLu where someone is getting kill at least once a month..

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 AM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Uh, nobody mentioned Brooklyn? Sunset Park in Brooklyn has a huge and very busy Chinatown. I would say it's larger than the Manhattan and SF Chinatowns nowadays.

Just go to 8th Avenue from about 45th-65 streets (take the N train to 8th Ave.). The sidewalks are as busy as Canal Street nowadays. Nobody believes me when I say it's as busy as Manhattan Chinatown, but when they visit, they are shocked.

Oh, and they are now building condo highrises. There are a half-dozen Chinese condo highrises u/c.
Really man? You got my interest piqued. Gotta go to Brooklyn one of these days and check Sunset Park out.

EDIT: From just getting a basic, first-cut idea from the Google Maps' street view capability, Sunset Park certainly LOOKS more impressive than SF's and may be close to Manhattan's level in terms of vibrancy. Compared to the NYC Chinatowns, however prettier, SF's doesn't look that vibrant on this, not even Stockton nor Grant streets...

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-08-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Really man? You got my interest piqued. Gotta go to Brooklyn one of these days and check Sunset Park out.

EDIT: From just getting a basic, first-cut idea from the Google Maps' street view capability, Sunset Park certainly LOOKS more impressive than SF's and may be close to Manhattan's level in terms of vibrancy. Compared to the NYC Chinatowns, however stylistic, SF's doesn't look that vibrant on this, not even Stockton nor Grant streets...

No one who has been there would say that. Google Street View can be misleading. Ive been to the Manhattan Chinatown. At least during the day, it doesnt feel as crowded or vibrant as SF Chinatown (mostly due to the super narrow streets in SF Chinatown)

SF Chinatown is often so packed there is no room to walk on the sidewalk. Here is random pics of a normal day (if anything, this is pretty slow):

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 AM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
By the way, I just checked out the Streetview pics of SF Chinatown. I have NEVER seen it that empty before and I have been there dozens of times. I'm not sure if these were very early-morning pics or what, but that is very unrepresentative of the vibrancy of that area.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM

44 posts, read 116,674 times
I have been too New York's, Boston's, Washington's, Philadelphia's, Pittsburgh's old China town section, Denver's Federal Street strip mall area, and thats about it.

I don't consider strip malls with Chinese restaurants "China Town". Sorry Charlotte, Denver, and others, You don't have a china town.

I have been to San Fran, but not it's China town, so it is hard to compare with New York. But so far, New York would obviously win, but then again, I never been to San Fran's. I liked Boston's, and it was the first China Town I was ever in. Washintons's didn't feel like a Chinatown. They had the Chinatown enterance, but no real chinatown.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I've never been to San Francisco's Chinatown but parts of Manhattan's Chinatown really looks like China. Flushing's Chinatown looks like you've been dropped off in another country, It was so crowded, I remember seeing mostly Asians, I couldn't read anything, the only thing NYC that you see is the beat up "Chugga-Boom" buses and that's about it.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
By the way, I just checked out the Streetview pics of SF Chinatown. I have NEVER seen it that empty before and I have been there dozens of times. I'm not sure if these were very early-morning pics or what, but that is very unrepresentative of the vibrancy of that area.
You need to visit Manhattan Chinatown dozens of times too.. And not just during the wintertime. :P

I understand that the google street view pics may not be representative, but knowing what I know about the relative population densities between the two places, I find it really doubtful that SF Chinatown has more foot traffic than Manhattan's Chinatown (or even Flushing's now).

The pics you just showed of SF Chinatown, although busy, look somewhat sparse by Canal Street standards.
As I mentioned in another thread, narrow streets are often misleading as they often make places feel more crowded/dense than they actually are. You want more accuracy, COUNT the people. lol (And Manhattan Chinatown sidewalks are narrow, although SF's may be more so). Look at how packed these sidewalks are and these are on WIDER streets...

And this is on a COLD DAY(same as attached thumbnail below).
http://www.nychinatown.org/photo2/canal7.html

Another good pic:

I had good pics of Manhattan Chinatown on my last visit during the summertime.. If I find them I'll be glad to post them
Attached Thumbnails
North American cities with the best/most vibrant Chinatowns?-canal7med.jpg  

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-08-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatemorons View Post
I have been too New York's, Boston's, Washington's, Philadelphia's, Pittsburgh's old China town section, Denver's Federal Street strip mall area, and thats about it.

I don't consider strip malls with Chinese restaurants "China Town". Sorry Charlotte, Denver, and others, You don't have a china town.

I have been to San Fran, but not it's China town, so it is hard to compare with New York. But so far, New York would obviously win, but then again, I never been to San Fran's. I liked Boston's, and it was the first China Town I was ever in. Washintons's didn't feel like a Chinatown. They had the Chinatown enterance, but no real chinatown.
and who are you to make that decision???

A Chinatown dosen't have to be dense and walkable, so sorry but your not of any power to make that claim.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and who are you to make that decision???

A Chinatown dosen't have to be dense and walkable, so sorry but your not of any power to make that claim.
I usually think of Chinatown as an urban neighborhood too. In my opinion Chinatowns are supposed to be dense and walkable, with street vendors and street life that is reminiscent of an Asian city...not a Wal-Mart strip mall with Chinese letters instead of English ones. There's nothing different about that. It's just another ugly suburban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City