Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
i've never been to CA, but i've obviously seen pictures of the palms in LA. I've been all over Florida many times, and I hardly ever see them. I don't know what they're called, but I've seen them in tv/pictures in CA a lot. These are what I mean: http://i3.photoblog.com/photos7/54262-1217893903-0-l.jpg (broken link)
California Fan Palms or Mexican Fan Palms. They are closely related and hard to tell the difference between the two. They are native to desert oasis.

Floridata: Washingtonia robusta

Floridata: Washingtonia filifera

Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
All palm trees tend to look the same after you've seen like 5 different kinds. It gets to be no big deal. The palms I saw in Greece weren't that different than the ones I see in Florida. No big deal. I don't know, maybe because I spend a lot of time in Florida and I see them a lot.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
San Francisco has tons of canary palms lining main thoroughfares such as Market Street, the Embarcadero, and Dolores Street. We also have some washingtonia's, most notably lining Mission Street. Aside from that, you'll see washingtonia's here and there in people's yards and whatnot, but not nearly to the same extent as in SoCal. The east bay and south Bay have a few more washingotnia's than SF as well.

some washingtonia palms along Mission Street in SF (my pics):

one more (not my pic):

Canary island palms lining the median of Dolores Street in SF (my pic):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
And how many times do you see Palms growing without human intervention in CA like in FL?
(Outside Orlando FL)
California has quite a few naturally occurring palm trees.. Such as those in this desert oasis (my pics):

and this desert oasis (from here on down, not my pics):

and this desert oasis:

and this desert oasis:
http://perezstudios.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/pict0213.jpg (broken link)

and this desert oasis:

...you get the point.

Does Florida have anything like that? I don't think so.....both states have naturally occurring palms, just in different climates. I would guess there's gotta be some naturally occurring palms in coastal southern California as well though.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Weird, I didn't know SF had a lot of palms. I thought maybe a few, but that's it.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
San Francisco has tons of canary palms lining main thoroughfares such as Market Street, the Embarcadero, and Dolores Street. We also have some washingtonia's, most notably lining Mission Street. Aside from that, you'll see washingtonia's here and there in people's yards and whatnot, but not nearly to the same extent as in SoCal. The east bay and south Bay have a few more washingotnia's than SF as well.

one more (not my pic):

California has quite a few naturally occurring palm trees.. Such as those in this desert oasis (my pics):

and this desert oasis:

and this desert oasis:

and this desert oasis:

...you get the point.

Does Florida have anything like that? I don't think so.....both states have naturally occurring palms, just in different climates. I would guess there's gotta be some naturally occurring palms in coastal southern California as well though.
Cali is looking more and more attractive every picture I see. Especially that pick of SF and the hills behind it.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

12 posts, read 54,090 times
The Bay Area has plenty of Palm trees.
San Francisco:

San Jose:

Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 278,907 times
^ Nice!

Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

one more (not my pic):

and this desert oasis:

and this desert oasis:

and this desert oasis:

...you get the point.

I love that pic of yours from San Francisco, I like the colors on those palms, they need some of those in NYC. They have those palms with the "skirts" in Florida but the "skirts" fall off with the humidity and wind, the "skirts" make those palms unique from all the other palms.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
California. The primary reason that there are not many very tall palms in Florida is because they are quite susceptible to lightning stirkes, which Florida has no shortage of.

Most palms in California, Nevada, and Arizona can survive of an EXTREMELY small amount of water. Las Vegas receives about 4 inches of rain a year but is still littered with healthy palm trees. Southern California goes 6 months without rain, but still has very healthy palms too.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
California obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City