Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 AM

199 posts, read 220,281 times

Advertisements

LOL oh ok wow there is a "gynecology" specialty hospital ranked at NUMBER 16 how impressive... and better yet a "gastrointestinal" ranked at 17.. im packing my bags as i type i have to take advantage of these specialty medical oases

i'd take my chances attending a number 1 ranked hospital like Johns Hopskins in baltimore with 17 specialties than have to attend some 11th place hospital in houston. but i ever have a urinary tract infection, i'll be sure to attend number 9 ranked "M.D Anderson" hospital in houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
LOL oh ok wow there is a "gynecology" specialty hospital ranked at NUMBER 16 how impressive... and better yet a "gastrointestinal" ranked at 17.. im packing my bags as i type i have to take advantage of these specialty medical oases

i'd take my chances attending a number 1 ranked hospital like Johns Hopskins in baltimore with 17 specialties than have to attend some 11th place hospital in houston. but i ever have a urinary tract infection, i'll be sure to attend number 9 ranked "M.D Anderson" hospital in houston.
Once you understand what TMC is; you'll understand its rankings.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 AM

stealth "i know more than you do" comment
because knowing what an acronym stands for is so hard right. the highest overall ranking ANY houston based "medical center" has is 20.
not 10 or 3 or 1

Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
because knowing what an acronym stands for is so hard right. the highest overall ranking ANY houston based "medical center" has is 20.
not 10 or 3 or 1

It has nothing to do with understanding what "TMC" stands for lol

Old 08-22-2009, 12:43 AM

gee what could it mean ummm ummm texan mounted cops
no wait texas medical..... channel.. maybe texas medicine... corporation

but yea how's that 20th ranking lookin' like though

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

...............You just missed the whole point. Also, it looks great, especially compare to the 1000 of other hospitals in the country.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM

i love you

Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:

Quote:
not 10 or 3 or 1

Quote:

^^^ Please stop feeding the troll, but I'll give it a snack.

Yes John Hopkins is a wonderful hospital but it only has 980 hospital beds to treat over 15 specialties. Yes UCLA Medical Center is a great a hospital with 15 specialties but it only has around 600 beds. MD Anderson is a great a hospital that only deals with cancer related treatment with its 510 beds. The TMC is made up of around 15 institutions that deal with specialties such cancer, pediatrics, heart, etc. and hospitals like John Hopkins that do everything. Again John Hopkins is great, but how hard do you think it is to get into a hospital that is number 1 ranked, has 15 specialties, with around 980 beds?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
GDP rankings depend on what you are measuring, when looking at MSA, SF> HOU> BOS but measuring CSA, SF>BOS> HOU. Boston has the distinct advantage of being in a very populated region, in fact the whole Boston- CD corridor is one huge megalopolis with arbitrary boundaries that define things such as a metro's GDP.
Actually if you're measuring MSA it goes Boston>San Francisco>Houston. But you're correct about the CSA.

Quote:
Boston does have some fantastic medical facilities, no doubt but I don't know if it can compare to the TMC. TMC is made up of individual institutions that you would have to know by name in order to find their rankings. MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston has been top 5 in cancer for decades, currently it is number one. I will say that Boston does get the upper hand in medical research but I would wager Houston gets the upper hand in care and treatment. TMC is truly amazing, it is poised to be the 7th largest employment center in the nation in square ft.
Texas Medical Center is amazing, there's no doubt about that. However, Boston is home to Mass General, Beth Israel, Brigham and Womens, Boston Medical Center, etc. If you look at US News' rankings, Boston usually has two hospitals in the top 10 of almost every category, and sometimes has two in the top 5. Houston also has a strong presence. However, there's a reason the NIH (National Institutes of Health) gives more money to Boston than anywhere else in the country. As I mentioned before, we also have the #1 medical school in the country. Things like that don't happen coincidentally.

Quote:
I just don't think BOS is as globally important as Houston. Houston just doesn't have energy but is a global trade powerhouse in America with it's port and manufacturing output. However, thinking about it more SF/SJ are probably more important than Houston. BUT SF/SJ do have the unfair advantage of having two prominent cities in the metro, if it was just one or the other than the discussion would be about BOS vs HOU.
You may not "think" Boston is as important globally as Houston, but I provided two reputable sources which rank Boston ahead of Houston in international importance. So apparently the professionals in the business don't agree with you.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 AM

97 posts, read 102,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was responding to a Houston fan trying to minimize another city's importance.

After all, this thread is about comparing cities to each other.

We were all speaking to the poster that felt it neccesary to bash another city and minimize its importance.

You speak well and are not putting other places down for no reason like that one poster has started

It comes down to all 3 are pretty equal... you could say 5A, 5B and 5C since all are very important in so many areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City