Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern California or North Jersey
Southern California 115 65.71%
North Jersey 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
I don't like either. I'll take NJ then immediately move to Manhattan. I like New York City. Santa Barbara is a very boring old-people place and Orange County is just a classless piece of ****. There are a few places on the Westside of LA I like though and wouldn't mind living in for a bit.

No broad brushed generalizations or raw ignorance in this post skippy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM

109 posts, read 446,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Architectural charm in Southern Cal? Really? Everywhere I have been in Southern Cal I see cookie cutter architecture. Meanwhile, North NJ has some of the most amazing, diverse, and historic architecture in this country - and it pans across suburban mansions, urban brownstones, and rural cottages and farmhouses.

It always shocks me how little people actually know about NJ.
It always shocks me how little people actually know about SoCal.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,473,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
I don't like either. I'll take NJ then immediately move to Manhattan. I like New York City. Santa Barbara is a very boring old-people place and Orange County is just a classless piece of ****. There are a few places on the Westside of LA I like though and wouldn't mind living in for a bit.
Uh oh 4-SV, I fear the worst! There may be something seriously wrong with you! You just said something positive about somewhere. You might wanna get that checked out.

Next thing you know you might even take a break from trolling!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
I cannot think of any signature foods that SoCal is well known for. Are there any?

NJ is know for it's pizza, Italian hot dogs, taylor ham (w/ egg and cheese), saltwater taffy...among others.

The pizza I had in San Diego gave me nightmares for 2 weeks.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
I cannot think of any signature foods that SoCal is well known for. Are there any?

NJ is know for it's pizza, Italian hot dogs, taylor ham (w/ egg and cheese), saltwater taffy...among others.

The pizza I had in San Diego gave me nightmares for 2 weeks.
Fish Tacos, Carne Asada Burritos....basically Mexican themed stuff. But it's not associated with the region as much as say pizza, bagels, hot dogs are with NYC and Chicago or Cheesestakes with Philly.

I wouldn't say NJ is known for its hot dogs or pizza though, that would be New York more so. Maybe in the NE it is but at least here out west NJ is not known for any particular food.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Fish Tacos, Carne Asada Burritos....basically Mexican themed stuff. But it's not associated with the region as much as say pizza, bagels, hot dogs are with NYC and Chicago or Cheesestakes with Philly.

I wouldn't say NJ is known for its hot dogs or pizza though, that would be New York more so. Maybe in the NE it is but at least here out west NJ is not known for any particular food.
Imagine there being a little island off the coast of California with 8 Million people living on it. To the people outside of the SoCal region, that little, populous island would be more well known for fish tacos and carne asada burritos than mainland California, because it's the city and the center of everything.

That's why you may recognize NYC as the epicenter for such things as pizza, and bagels. Although NJ is every bit as responsible for the development of both foods as we know them today, and NJ's pizza and bagels are every bit as good as NY's as a whole. My favorite pizzeria is in NJ. In both NJ and NY you can, however, find very average pizzerias ... but an average pizza in NJ/NY is an amazing pizza in california!

But it is NJ that invented Taylor Ham, and NJ invented saltwater taffy. NY cannot take credit in either of those (not that I actually eat saltwater taffy, LOL).

Oh - I didn't say "hot dogs", I said "Italian hot dogs" ... and NJ invented the Italian hot dog. It's a dog, with potatoes, peppers, and onions, in a pizza dough roll.

Don't forget in terms of produce, the world-famous Jersey tomatoes and Jersey blueberries. The cranberry bogs are something to behold.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Imagine there being a little island off the coast of California with 8 Million people living on it. To the people outside of the SoCal region, that little, populous island would be more well known for fish tacos and carne asada burritos than mainland California, because it's the city and the center of everything.

That's why you may recognize NYC as the epicenter for such things as pizza, and bagels. Although NJ is every bit as responsible for the development of both foods as we know them today, and NJ's pizza and bagels are every bit as good as NY's as a whole. My favorite pizzeria is in NJ. In both NJ and NY you can, however, find very average pizzerias ... but an average pizza in NJ/NY is an amazing pizza in california!

But it is NJ that invented Taylor Ham, and NJ invented saltwater taffy. NY cannot take credit in either of those (not that I actually eat saltwater taffy, LOL).

Oh - I didn't say "hot dogs", I said "Italian hot dogs" ... and NJ invented the Italian hot dog. It's a dog, with potatoes, peppers, and onions, in a pizza dough roll.

Don't forget in terms of produce, the world-famous Jersey tomatoes and Jersey blueberries. The cranberry bogs are something to behold.
I've never even heard of Taylor Ham and not sure of anyone who eats or has ever mentioned salt water taffy. I'm sure NJ is home to many great foods and such but it's just not well known for it outside of that region, at least from my experiance. Just as I'm sure many people outside of Southern CA do not think about the Fish tacos or carne asada that are popular here.

I just got back from NY on Sunday and I'm sorry but I did not see what the big deal was about pizza or the bagels. Granted I only ate at a few pizzerias while I was there, several in Manhattan and one in Hoboken called Hoboken Pizza right by the waterfront and train station. I'm sure there are some better pizzerias in other parts of NYC, Brooklyn I heard has good ones, and NJ but at least the few I tried did not taste any better than what I find here. But I'm not a big fan of pizza anyways, it's usually not my first choice for food.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
I just got back from NY on Sunday and I'm sorry but I did not see what the big deal was about pizza or the bagels. Granted I only ate at a few pizzerias while I was there, several in Manhattan and one in Hoboken called Hoboken Pizza right by the waterfront and train station. I'm sure there are some better pizzerias in other parts of NYC, Brooklyn I heard has good ones, and NJ but at least the few I tried did not taste any better than what I find here. But I'm not a big fan of pizza anyways, it's usually not my first choice for food.
i'm........speechless

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Like I said, there are a lot of average pizzerias, especially in Manhattan. Brooklyn and NJ is where a lot of the best, older, more authentic ones are. But even the average pizza here are better than "the best" pizza I had in san Diego (I was directed there by locals...it was sooo bad).

It's also probably something that people in the Northeast are accustomed to, so we are more critical of pizza elsewhere. We know what makes a good pizza, and how to rate a pizza ... crust crispiness, freshness of mozzerella, and the sauce/cheese ratio. Just like if I had the tacos you mentioned, I probably wouldn't be blown away by the ones from your region, because I didn't grow up eating them, and the ones we have in NJ/NY are serviceable.

You never heard of Taylor Ham because you literally cannot get it outside of NJ. Maybe on the outskirts (NY state. PA). It is a true, regional food, something that many places cannot claim. On a bagel with egg and cheese is a dynamite breakfast:

Pork roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
sav - i hope you didn't get pizza from Famous Rays....

and, its too bad you're not a pizza fan. an hour and some north on 95 is New Haven, and you couldn't find bad/avg pizza there if you tried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City