Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^Ok, so according to your logic, Houston is overrated since it's discussed a lot on this forum. You can't base it on how much it's discussed on here. Most people who have been to NYC know there's nothing overhyped about it.
Fine, that's fair.

But people from Houston don't go to threads like "Chicago vs. LA" and go like "Wooo check Houston out, it's the best, no place like it!"
That would be NYC. Once again, in no disrespect to NYC, but it's just something I've noted and many others have noted as well.

I like NYC, because it things Houston doesn't, but yes it is overrated. I'm still waiting for the day people can accept that.
I already accept that in some ways Houston is overrated, like talks about it's economy, or relocating there, or being a busy port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Fine, that's fair.

But people from Houston don't go to threads like "Chicago vs. LA" and go like "Wooo check Houston out, it's the best, no place like it!"
That would be NYC. Once again, in no disrespect to NYC, but it's just something I've noted and many others have noted as well.

I like NYC, because it things Houston doesn't, but yes it is overrated. I'm still waiting for the day people can accept that.
I already accept that in some ways Houston is overrated, like talks about it's economy, or relocating there, or being a busy port.

Tell me what exactly you saw/experienced that was over-rated.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Tell me what exactly you saw/experienced that was over-rated.
Well for starters I see hundreds of movies based in NYC, when they can be based in other cities like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Denver, Tampa.
That's an example of overrating NYC.

So for one to one, what's overrating about Houston? And I mean things other than the ones I listed myself in my previous post.

Then it'll be one for one.

Try searching "Houston overrated" online and see what you get for results, not nearly anywhere close to as much as NYC.

Here's an example, Is New York City overrated? (New York City Sucks)

Rachel, I think you should read that article, it's from the viewpoint of a local New Yorker. I know opinions can vary, but people need to accept things for what they are.
Houston- Fine it's overrated not only for a Texas city but as a city in general, it eclipses cities like Fort Worth, San Antonio, Beaumont.
But NYC- It's overrated as well.

I personally have family ties to NYC, but yeahhh I stand by my statement, it's a great city but it is plainly overrated.

Another reason I rated it the way I did was because it completely eclipses not only every city in it's state but in it's region as well.
I mean Buffalo, Rochester, Albany. I know NYC is the largest city in the country, but anything that eclipses other areas is plainly overrated.
It eclipses Philadelphia, and most cities in NJ.

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-12-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
I laugh at any list that says Cleveland is overrated. It's on the top of every **** list Forbes and all those other media outlets throw out there. It's kind of sad that I get shocked when I tell people I'm from the Cleveland area and they don't give me a smartass comment and/or tell me that it sucks. I almost fall over from disbelief when an outsider tells me they like Cleveland. Cleveland can not be named as an overrated city.

Also, Los Angeles can not be stated as underrated. All you hear about these days is either NYC or Los Angeles. I don't see how LA can be considered as an underrated city.

I understand these are all opinion-based, but I just felt the need to rant. I couldn't believe a few people listed Cleveland as an overrated city.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
lol yeah, you wish. Sorry, but it will never be on the level of LA and/or Chicago.
Houston will eventually pass Chicago as 3rd largest US city. Houston is gaining way too many residents while Chicago has been on a gradual downhill population decline since the 1960's.

Will Houston ever be on the same economical/global level as LA or Chicago? Probably not. Houston is like a younger, smaller LA though. Anyone who disagrees with that statement has never been to either city.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston will eventually pass Chicago as 3rd largest US city. Houston is gaining way too many residents while Chicago has been on a gradual downhill population decline since the 1960's.

Will Houston ever be on the same economical/global level as LA or Chicago? Probably not. Houston is like a younger, smaller LA though. Anyone who disagrees with that has never been to either city.
Definitely not in the next 4 decades.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I laugh at any list that says Cleveland is overrated. It's on the top of every **** list Forbes and all those other media outlets throw out there. It's kind of sad that I get shocked when I tell people I'm from the Cleveland area and they don't give me a smartass comment and/or tell me that it sucks. I almost fall over from disbelief when an outsider tells me they like Cleveland. Cleveland can not be named as an overrated city.

Also, Los Angeles can not be stated as underrated. All you hear about these days is either NYC or Los Angeles. I don't see how LA can be considered as an underrated city.

I understand these are all opinion-based, but I just felt the need to rant. I couldn't believe a few people listed Cleveland as an overrated city.
Hey man, I'm a pretty big Cleveland supporter -- there are a FEW of us out there! My wife is from Cleveland (Shaker Heights) and after living in OH for 5 years I have come to the conclusion that not only is Cleveland my favorite OH city but it is very UNDERRATED.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Great list, minus Austin.

Overrated:

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Tampa

Underrated:

Philadelphia, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore
How is Tampa overrated? Better yet, how is Jacksonville overrated? When do you ever here about these 2 cities in the media besides sports? If anything Jacksonville and Tampa are UNDERRATED!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Well for starters I see hundreds of movies based in NYC, when they can be based in other cities like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Denver, Tampa.
That's an example of overrating NYC.

So for one to one, what's overrating about Houston? And I mean things other than the ones I listed myself in my previous post.

Then it'll be one for one.

Try searching "Houston overrated" online and see what you get for results, not nearly anywhere close to as much as NYC.

Here's an example, Is New York City overrated? (New York City Sucks)

Rachel, I think you should read that article, it's from the viewpoint of a local New Yorker. I know opinions can vary, but people need to accept things for what they are.
Houston- Fine it's overrated not only for a Texas city but as a city in general, it eclipses cities like Fort Worth, San Antonio, Beaumont.
But NYC- It's overrated as well.

I personally have family ties to NYC, but yeahhh I stand by my statement, it's a great city but it is plainly overrated.

Another reason I rated it the way I did was because it completely eclipses not only every city in it's state but in it's region as well.
I mean Buffalo, Rochester, Albany. I know NYC is the largest city in the country, but anything that eclipses other areas is plainly overrated.
It eclipses Philadelphia, and most cities in NJ.

wow, just wow...you haven't even been here, end of story. So I'm going to ignore any opinion you have of it. Your post is pretty funny...why are so many movies based in NYC? Because it's NYC!!! They film it here because more people would watch it since it's based here. Would Ghostbusters be as popular if it were filmed in Pittsburgh? Don't think so.

And I have "ties" to other cities where I have family. Doesn't mean I know anything about it.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is like a younger, smaller LA though. Anyone who disagrees with that statement has never been to either city.
Yeah, without the cultural, geographical, or layout similariities.

What they have in common is diversity, close to water, and palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City