Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Texans don't usually regard themselves as Southerners, they're Texans. In most topics on CD, it is generally accepted that Texas is basically a region by itself and that is the way they like it.

Anytime something with the South comes up southerners always try to claim Texas, DC and Baltimore because they know they don't have much without them. You don't see the Midwesterner's trying to claim ND, SD, CO, MT and WY as the Midwest, do you?

Without Texas, the south has no cities that are top ten for population, the Midwest at least has one. If you look at 10-20 for population, the south has 3 and so does the Midwest. So what exactly are you talking about?

When someone says the South, it is generally understood that the Southeast is what's being talked about. I'm closer to Texas than you for pete's sake.
Sorry, but this really isn't true across the state of Texas.

Texas is very large. Generally speaking, West Texans don't self identify much as Southern. South Texans rarely do either. But East Texans nearly always DO self identify as Southerners AND Texans. East Texas (about half the state) has a very southern vibe.

Yes, that includes Houston. And Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
Between your previous one liner insults and your inability to handle other peoples honest, subjective opinions that you don't agree with you're truly the one acting like a child here. Am I "dissing" the south? No I'm giving my honest opinion on it. Sorry southern summers are definitely NOT like the rest of the country, even when they're mild they're brutally humid. Every region and city gets constructive criticism on here, grow up and deal with it.
You're the only one that had a problem with that post and I got rep from it soooo no you're wrong.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No, down south usually means down south. If he meant the southeast, he would have used that term. This is about the south and East Texas is the south. Houston, Dallas, Beaumont, Tyler, etc are the south. East Texas shares culture with Louisiana and Arkansas, are they not in the south either? Why even mention Georgia and Florida, two states that are far from Texas. What does Michigan have in common with Missouri? You have obviously never been to east Texas or Houston.
Preach it! I live in east Texas and I can assure you, we consider this the South. My gosh, my kids went to ROBERT E LEE high school in Tyler! (They used to be the REL Rebels, till that became too politically incorrect - now they're the REL Raiders - but their mascot still looks like a Confederate soldier on a horse!)

Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Preach it! I live in east Texas and I can assure you, we consider this the South. My gosh, my kids went to ROBERT E LEE high school in Tyler! (They used to be the REL Rebels, till that became too politically incorrect - now they're the REL Raiders - but their mascot still looks like a Confederate soldier on a horse!)
You don't even have to consider it the south, it IS the south! Shreveport is basically east Texas, but maybe Shreveport is in the southwest too, we all know how many cacti and dunes there are.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The city Of Atlanta has been gaining population since 2000.Why then is 2008-2011 matter?
It would matter if the market in the city was not hot before.It WAS and is!

Where I bought my investment properties it can barely be called transitional.
Yet I bought my house brand new from one of several builders that were investing in the area.This was in 2005.I paid full price of market value at that time.While my value has not gone up to what it was at its peak,it is almost back where it was when I bought it in 2005.

What you are failing to realize is that even though the growth slowed during the housing crisis,Atlanta as it was before was STILL growing!
Im referring to the city of Atlanta.If you find a 3bed room plus house in the city for $1500 a month in the city of Atlanta,then you will be in the hood with bad schools or something old and decrepit in a nice neighborhood.
According to Trulia the median house cost $250,000.

Rents in the city are SYROCKETING!Its so hard to find anything llke a 2br for anything less than $1000 in a decent area unless its old with not many ameninites.

You also are incorrectly assuming that all of the growth is housing purchases. Apartment construction in Atlanta is booming.Its all higher end or upper middle rental units.

As far as my friends,they wanted to be in the city but in a area that had good schools for their kid.All those areas were much higher than $1500 and after I told them they should easily be able to get something for $2000-$2500 that would fit their needs they also looked in that range also.It was impossible even when they upped their limit back.They moved because school had started in Portland before they could find anything.Hotels were getting expensive.
Asking Prices and Inventory for Homes in Atlanta Georgia | Department of Numbers

$189K. What did I say.....$175K? I think that was a fair guesstimate (totally blind, too).

See, in some of the Midwest cities (like Minneapolis, where I know the most about), you don't have to pay $3,500 per month to be in a good school district. The median home price in THE BEST school district in the entire state is in Minneapolis and it's less than $3,500 per month. So again, when it comes to differentiating what is truly "desirable", one thing that the Midwest does very very well is education and family-friendly neighborhoods. Say what you want about how the North sucks and the South rules, but give some credit where credit is due. The Midwest does not have a megaton of obvious amenities like natural scenery and weather, but what it does have is high quality of living. I'm not saying the South does not, but I think between the two that the Midwest is a notch above in that regard.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry, but this really isn't true across the state of Texas.

Texas is very large. Generally speaking, West Texans don't self identify much as Southern. South Texans rarely do either. But East Texans nearly always DO self identify as Southerners AND Texans. East Texas (about half the state) has a very southern vibe.

Yes, that includes Houston. And Dallas.
I think the ORIGINAL point was that when we're comparing both regions, here's the states that are included:

Midwest:
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin (refused to put MN next to WI )
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Ohio
Missouri

South:
Maryland
Delaware
D.C.
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas

So not only are there more states, but the sheer size of the South as we're defining it here is easily 2X as large as the Midwest in land area (and nobody in the Midwest is going to throw in the Great Plains). For a more fair comparison, we should be comparing the "North" and the "South", which would be the same two regions, except D.C. and Baltimore would be Northern cities and the Northeast would be lumped in with the North. I doubt anybody wants to take on that battle!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM

314 posts, read 422,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Talk about IRONY.Then you have the audacity to mention stereotypes as if that qualifies as some sort of bellwether as to what you and some other might think they know about the South.

Truth is its that self importance attitude that many Southerns don't really care what people think.Its a completely mostly Northern mentality.
You are basically telling someone they better act a certain way so that IGNORANT people who cannot think for themselves rather develop a territorial attitude of superiority.over another group.

Southerners whether black or white are very comfortable who they are.Good and bad.Its just crazy that you felt a need to say that as if she really cared about your or anybody elses opinion. Nice for you to feel so righteous I suppose.
As a current resident in the south I'm speaking from my experiences living down here, and no the stereotypes aren't far fetched at all, as a matter of fact they're very accurate just exaggerated a bit. She obviously does care about my opinion as she responded with two diff sets of childish, emotional one liner personal insults, and you obviously care as you responded very defensively. "You are basically telling someone they better act " blah blah never said anything like that or even remotely suggested it..spare me the childish straw man garbage. An honest observation and subjective opinion isn't a personal insult, apparently you and the op can't differentiate.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You're the only one that had a problem with that post and I got rep from it soooo no you're wrong.
I repped him....soooooooooooooooo, ta dah!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You don't even have to consider it the south, it IS the south! Shreveport is basically east Texas, but maybe Shreveport is in the southwest too, we all know how many cacti and dunes there are.
I'd argue that part of Texas is Southern (Houston mainly, maybe Dallas), and the rest is Southwestern (Austin, San Antonio, Laredo, maybe Dallas). Dallas LOOKS much more Southwestern than Southeastern, with its lack of shrubbery.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
As a current resident in the south I'm speaking from my experiences living down here, and no the stereotypes aren't far fetched at all, as a matter of fact they're very accurate just exaggerated a bit. She obviously does care about my opinion as she responded with two diff sets of childish, emotional one liner personal insults, and you obviously care as you responded very defensively. "You are basically telling someone they better act " blah blah never said anything like that or even remotely suggested it..spare me the childish straw man garbage. An honest observation and subjective opinion isn't a personal insult, apparently you and the op can't differentiate.
Could you maybe do your best to provide an objective point of view of your experiences of both regions? Obviously, based on your PERSONAL experiences, but it'd be interesting nonetheless. Possibly pros and cons of each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City