Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MEDIA HOUNDs/Publication,Movie production,Most written about etc....
Miami 7 8.43%
Houston 0 0%
Atlanta 19 22.89%
Dallas 4 4.82%
San Fransico 10 12.05%
Boston 4 4.82%
Washington D.C. 35 42.17%
Seattle-Tacoma 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
nashville..guess you a country fan
silver spring.....
bristol..... SHM at your list
Actually those places I listed own major cable networks and TV shows.

Bristol owns ESPN
sliver spring owns the discover network
and Nashville has HGTV and CMT and every thing country related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
San Francisco isn't as big as it use to be; same with Chicago.
I'm constantly hearing about the Bay Area.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
No one has still answered my question.WHAT IS IT ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO THAT MAKE IT A MEDIA HOUND(at least by what parameters I set).It seems no one can break it down.I really want to know,because I don't see it.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
When it comes to daily news coverage the cities that get the most air are:

1. D.C.
2. New York
3. L.A.
4. Atlanta
5. San Francisco

All the major news networks are based in one those cities and in the case of D.C. it's the political ground zero of this country. It's hard to go a day a not have news coming out of one of those cities for one reason or another.

As far as popular culture goes (tv shows, movies, etc), most of it focuses on.

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Atlanta/Miami
4. San Francisco
5. Boston

Which is in a way a shame. I don't think a lot of cities get nearly as much play as they should. The average person in this country general doesn't know much at all about most of the big cities in this country.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No one has still answered my question.WHAT IS IT ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO THAT MAKE IT A MEDIA HOUND(at least by what parameters I set).It seems no one can break it down.I really want to know,because I don't see it.
The tech industry plus a lot of shows take place there.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
I don't see either Chicago or San Francisco as huge media hounds...silicon valley, maybe, Chicago businesses/Oprah, maybe...but not really, IMO.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
A lot get reported out of Atlanta because of CNN and BET, but I don't see much being reported about Atlanta.

DC gets a lot of play because of government and its incursions into business and healthcare recently.

SF is a lightning rod because of its far left politics. During the 06 and 08 elections, how many times did we hear about "San Francisco Values". Silicon Valley is the center of the tech world. During the dotcom boom, not a day would go by without the world's focus on what YHOO, CSCO, INTC, EBAY, GOOG, ETC. were doing, or what the next hot ipo from Silicon Valley would be, minting instant billionaires in what seemed like daily at the time. At Bloomberg, the backdrop of all matters in the west coast is the Bay Bridge or Transamerica pyramid. Go to Yahoo Finance, there's a "Tech Ticker" that reports everything that goes on in Silicon Valley to Wall Street.

Movies: I can't even count how many romantic comedies were made here. A ton.

Books: I don't read much so I can't help you there.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

113 posts, read 86,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, I was watching NBC Nightly News just the other night and they had a live remote from the CDC, and they mentioned it two other times seperate from the live remote piece.
Off topic, but Atlanta's a beautiful city. On topic, I voted DC because of the obvious.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Actually those places I listed own major cable networks and TV shows.

Bristol owns ESPN
sliver spring owns the discover network
and Nashville has HGTV and CMT and every thing country related.
touche.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
the op did say
Publication,Movie production,Most written about ..

IDK why everyone keeps thinking chicago is totally irrelevant. I dont want to sound like an annoying homer but some important magazines are published in chicago and many many movies have been either shot in or setted in chicago. And other than NYC and DC chicago is always shown in the financial networks everyday. The problem is that nobody really cares for chicago that much i guess

-mas23-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City