Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea San Antonio is definitely a very historical city...I'm not sure I'd put Houston in there too though. I think historically San Antonio does a decent job at holding its own against Philly and Chicago, but Houston? Not so much.
I never said Houston could compete as an historic city; the argument began about culture. Which people continue to assume just because Houston sprawls and is southern, it lacks it. I never agreed with the list in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
San Antonio's history dates back to the mid 1500s-1600s.......

San Antonio has a long and rich history, and is a great American historical city. But older, in my book is not necessarily equal to grander, better, and having more to see.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
San Antonio has a long and rich history, and is a great American historical city. But older, in my book is not necessarily equal to grander, better, and having more to see.
This is true. St. Augustine is about as historic as you can get in the U.S., but I don't consider it a culturally rich city.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
That's subjective; if you choose to overlook the history in San Antonio and continue to insinuate Chicago and Philly are better, so be it. However, San Antonio is considered a tourist city and attracts people from all over for its history. The problem is too many people relate history to culture; Just because a city is older, doesn't mean it has more culture.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Default Without reading..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I am sorry but this list is total b.s...Minneapolis ahead of SF for cultural tourism? Give me an effing break.
..the entire thread, I'm guessing that the reason for Minn-St. Paul> S.F. is because of the throngs of people shopping at the Mall of America? It's not really a cultural thing, but I can't think of another reason why, even though Minn-St. Paul does have a reputation for the theater..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..the entire thread, I'm guessing that the reason for Minn-St. Paul> S.F. is because of the throngs of people shopping at the Mall of America? It's not really a cultural thing, but I can't think of another reason why, even though Minn-St. Paul does have a reputation for the theater..

There are actually a lot of cultural offerings in Mpls-St. Paul, ranging from theater (Most seats per capita outside NY, one of the nation's only African-American professional theaters), Art (the Walker, Sculpture Garden, M.I.A, Weisman) Education (the fourth-largest University in the U.S), and a whole lot more than the Mall of America...lol.

Plus it's a regional hub; there's not a lot of competition in the immediate surrounding area.

Of course, this isn't to say other places don't have stuff that's equal and better, just that Minneapolis-St. paul has certain things going for it.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Without looking at any of the other responses, my list would be (in no particular order):

NYC
Boston
Philly
SF
Chicago
New Orleans
Charleston
DC
Santa Fe
Take out Chicago, and put in Houston and Atlanta, and I think this is a good list.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Take out Chicago, and put in Houston and Atlanta, and I think this is a good list.
You think Houston is more cultural than Chicago?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
In 2009, yes. Houston is very underrated.

It's definitely not Top 5, but I would say arguably Top 10.

Dallas is borderline, and could also be considered.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM

200 posts, read 294,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I'm currently in Houston right now, and I think Chicago has more culture. If you look at Osito's previous posts, this poster definitely has a grudge against Chicago. He has been ripping at Chicago at every chance he gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City