Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Also, Atlanta is the only city out of the four that has a developed transit system.
While that may be true for now, once 2012 hits, Dallas will have the largest rail system in the Southeastern states. It looks like it will stay that way too since: 1) Atlanta doesnt have plans on expanding MARTA right now, 2) Houston and Miami have expansion plans, but their rail systems wont be as big as Dallas' will.

But I think it take more than good rail to make a city urban.

Its going to be intersting since of all the cities (and their surround communities), Dallas is projected to grow the most, closely followed by Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
While that may be true for now, once 2012 hits, Dallas will have the largest rail system in the Southeastern states. It looks like it will stay that way too since: 1) Atlanta doesnt have plans on expanding MARTA right now, 2) Houston and Miami have expansion plans, but their rail systems wont be as big as Dallas' will.

Its going to be intersting since of all the cities (and their surround communities), Dallas is projected to grow the most, closely followed by Houston.
The only negative about Dallas and Houston's systems are they are light rail instead of actual heavy rail. However, it's all good nonetheless!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 PM

82 posts, read 140,324 times
The best answer would be: just put all these cities names in a hat and pick.

They are all interchangeable IMHO. All these places' downtowns look almost identical, except for Miami since it's on a waterfront, and they are filled with strip malls, fast food and chain restaurants. I have lived in Dallas and Atlanta and have visited Houston and Miami several times so it's not like I'm talking out of my arse.

Comparing them would be like comparing Wendy's, Mc Donalds, Jack in the Box and Burger King.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post

They are all interchangeable IMHO. All these places' downtowns look almost identical, except for Miami since it's on a waterfront, and they are filled with strip malls, fast food and chain restaurants. I have lived in Dallas and Atlanta and have visited Houston and Miami several times so it's not like I'm talking out of my arse.

Comparing them would be like comparing Wendy's, Mc Donalds, Jack in the Box and Burger King.

Yea but Wendy's is the best!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post

Wendy's is a big step up from Mcdonald's.....lol

Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
houston

Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That is somewhat true. Once you drive west of I-95 it gets HEAVILY suburban, especially in places like Hialeah, West Miami, and Miami Springs. I agree with you, the difference with Miami and the other cities listed is Miami has DENSE suburbanization. Miami, and the rest of the metro from Miami ALL THE WAY to West Palm Beach, is REALLY DENSE suburbs. Because South Florida being stuck inbetween the Glades and the Atlantic, it has no choice but to be dense. As a matter of fact I would go on to say that the South Florida Metro and the LA metro are just alike in terms of Urbanity, both are really DENSE, YET sprawled out suburbs. It's just like LA, just substitute the Mojave Desert with the everglades, and vice versa, and the metros are alike.

miami springs isnt part of miami proper though. neither is hialeah or west miami.

hialeah is pretty dense though especially east hialeah, and around downtown hialeah. miami springs actually has some of the most suburban look in the miami metro ive seen, it has the big yards, not like westchester or anything like that

and the miami dade bus system is very good, but maybe not so now after they decided to cut many routes

Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
The only negative about Dallas and Houston's systems are they are light rail instead of actual heavy rail. However, it's all good nonetheless!
Meh, heavy rail and light rail serve the same purpose. Its all the same to me.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

The Dallas plan is massive and if you add Fort Worth light rail systems that is in the works its even bigger. Good insight LA Native and it seems Dallas/Fort Worth is a sleeping giant on city-data. There are alot of major projects going on in the metro area that people are not aware of. DFW is really starting to look and peform like a real metropoltian area. The fact that Dallas is land locked from expanding is exciting. We are seeing a shift from Dallas growing Horizontal to vertical growth.

Dallas on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjatune/3756565733/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Which City is more Urban???

The sunbelt overall is pretty much suburban, but out of these four major cities. Which is the most urban??

I've only been to MIA, HOU, and DAL. Out of those three, I'd go with MIA, with Houston following close behind.
Miami seems denser and the most urbanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City