Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

miami pretty easily in my experience... also with the mindset of the people there.

I lived in Coral Springs for awhile...

atl is getting better, and would come in 2... houston 3...

atl probably has better infrastructure than mia, but that doesn't pull it out in my mind for most urban.

i don't think a lot of people in the *metro* atl really want it urbanized though so even with good intentions it isn't where it could be.

mia feels the most sophisticated and upscale of the bunch...

mia and houston are easily more cosmopolitan than the other 2 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
So well ours go into the suburbs to and its still. In urban areas. Let's do this dart will have more coverage and marta will have higher ridership numbers
Atlanta's North Line extends into the Surburbs as well. As you can see this is in Sandy Springs at the Perimeter Mall, Dunwoody, and North Spring Suburbs.

YouTube - Riding the MARTA Train 4

YouTube - Perimeter Mall Atlanta

Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You can see the difference by watching. See how long it takes the DART train to travel 2.74 miles from Mockingbird station to City Center station. In comparison check out how long it takes MARTA to travel 3.00 miles from Arts Center station to Five Points station and that's with it making stops at Midtown, North Avenue, Civic Center and Peachtree Center stations in between.

DART red/green line from Mockingbird Sta to City Center Sta

YouTube - Mockingbird Station To Cityplace Station

MARTA from Arts Center Sta to Five Points Sta with stops at Midtown, North Ave, Peachtree, and Civic Center Stations.

YouTubhttp://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10882614e - MARTA Arts Center to Five Points
Driving wise, Mockingbird Station to Cityplace Station is about 5 minutes (3 miles); this is without including traffic and stop lights. The video shows it takes about 3 minutes and some seconds between the two. Seems good time to me.

Btw, Light rail doesn't go a certain speed. It's all about who's controlling it. To make a more accurate statement; you'd really have to know the speed these rails were moving.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

183 posts, read 230,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Cannot easily do that without spending money. By the time you are done spending money to get new cars, you might as well have gotten heavy rail. That's how expensive the cars are. Light Rail will never carry the same amount of passengers as heavy rail. But that's ok. Dallas will get heavy rail in time. I bet if Atlanta could do it over, they would go with light rail themselves. Even DC is building light rail now in the city.
We are doing the Belt line which is light rail in the city. But as times change so will. Marta I'm glad we already have heavy rail so at least we will have 3 options

Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So well ours go into the suburbs to and its still. In urban areas. Let's do this dart will have more coverage and marta will have higher ridership numbers
Urban??? Since when have areas like Sandy Springs or College Park been considered urban???? No offense, but those areas resembles Dallas's exurbs.

If those areas are urban than so are Plano, Richardson, Carrollton,etc

Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM

183 posts, read 230,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Urban??? Since when have areas like Sandy Springs or College Park been considered urban???? No offense, but those areas resembles Dallas's exurbs.

Because I can get off the train and walk to buinessess restuarants and huge mall and home
Many other shops and homes. You've never been to atlanta so you don't know what sandy springs dunwoody looks like from ground many working people ride the train to sandy springs dunwoody for work. And what I said what's we have more stations in a urban setting than Dart. College park train stations sits in some nieghborhoods

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Because I can get off the train and walk to buinessess restuarants and huge mall and home
Many other shops and homes. You've never been to atlanta so you don't know what sandy springs dunwoody looks like from ground
pictures, and you can pretty much walk anywhere. However, from what I've seen. It's nowhere near urban.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Sorry man, but you're wrong on this one. Hardly exurban. These are built out, urban areas. College Park is actually pretty old, and some of it could be classified as the hood.

Sandy Springs has been around for decades, and is also built out. It's evovling from a strictly suburban nabe to a very well rounded area, parts of which are intensely commercial.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Many other shops and homes. You've never been to atlanta so you don't know what sandy springs dunwoody looks like from ground many working people ride the train to sandy springs dunwoody for work. And what I said what's we have more stations in a urban setting than Dart. College park train stations sits in some nieghborhoods
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you visited Dallas?

College Park is just like the Cockrell Hill area of Dallas, and DART goes there. Dunwoody is very similar to Plano and DART goes there. The only think we have thats like Sandy Springs is on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex and its called Southlake.

Im not argueing whether those areas are urban or not, but I will say for a fact that if College Park is urban, so is Cokrell Hill and if Dunwoody is urban, so is Plano.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry man, but you're wrong on this one. Hardly exurban. These are built out, urban areas. College Park is actually pretty old, and some of it could be classified as the hood.

Sandy Springs has been around for decades, and is also built out. It's evovling from a strictly suburban nabe to a very well rounded area, parts of which are intensely commercial.
Never said they were exurbs; they resemble Dallas's exurbs. Dallas has continuous dense suburban development compared to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City