Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Never said they were exurbs; they resemble Dallas's exurbs. Dallas has continuous dense suburban development compared to Atlanta.
Perhaps, but you are still wrong. Both of these areas are urban, whether you think otherwise or not.

You haven't been here, so you really have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Perhaps, but you are still wrong. Both of these areas are urban, whether you think otherwise or not.
Depends, we probably have different definitions of urban. I'd say Inner Loop Houston or inside the LBJ of Dallas as urban. It's a big stretch calling suburbs urban.

It's like me claiming Pearland or The Woodlands in Houston as urban. I'd see Decatur as being urban though, but not Sandy Springs. I'll admit I've never been to Atlanta, but I've seen pictures and Google views of the area.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

183 posts, read 230,713 times
Quote:
pictures, and you can pretty much walk anywhere. However, from what I've seen. It's nowhere near urban.
What you need to do is take a trip to Atlanta and ride this too. Dunwoody station you saw pics of the skyline. That's what you saw nothing ground level. On this forum you feed of what everyone else says on this forum you don't have experience nor knowledge of the Atlanta area. What's you defenition of urban my friend. Likr I stated before Marta stations are located in better urban setting.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Urban??? Since when have areas like Sandy Springs or College Park been considered urban???? No offense, but those areas resembles Dallas's exurbs.

If those areas are urban than so are Plano, Richardson, Carrollton,etc

How the hell would you even know and you've never even been to Atlanta?

Do you even know the difference between Suburb and Exurb? Frisco is more of an exurb than Sandy Spring is. Sandy Springs is an inner-ring suburb as well as College Park. If anything, Sandy Springs is more similar to Far North Dallas than an exurb in either city.

Stick to what you know (hijacking threads by bringing up Houston) instead of shooting off at the mouth about places you've never been to.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Do you even know the difference between Suburb and Exurb? Frisco is more of an exurb than Sandy Spring is. Sandy Springs is an inner-ring suburb as well as College Park. If anything, Sandy Springs is more similar to Far North Dallas than an exurb.

Stick to what you know instead of shooting off at the mouth about places you've never been to.
RESEMBLES an exurb. Learn to read before you start shooting off at the mouth.

Ok, so Plano, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Irving, Pearland and more are all urban. lol (going by what's being said on here).

Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Depends, we probably have different definitions of urban. I'd say Inner Loop Houston or inside the LBJ of Dallas as urban. It's a big stretch calling suburbs urban.

It's like me claiming Pearland or The Woodlands in Houston as urban. I'd see Decatur as being urban though, but not Sandy Springs. I'll admit I've never been to Atlanta, but I've seen pictures and Google views of the area.
I don't know, In my mind they are both urban places.

College Park is an older, inner-ring streetcar suburb. Block afer block of bungalows, with a historic core.

Sandy Springs is older suburban in many places, but you don't see vacant lots there. There are several miles of mansions like you would see in West Houston, but with much larger lots. There are also skyscrapers, and some very concentrated commercial zones.

Neither one of these has been considered truly suburban for many years.

If these areas were suburban, they would not have MARTA rail service.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Do you even know the difference between Suburb and Exurb? Frisco is more of an exurb than Sandy Spring is. Sandy Springs is an inner-ring suburb as well as College Park. If anything, Sandy Springs is more similar to Far North Dallas than an exurb in either city.

Stick to what you know (hijacking threads by bringing up Houston) instead of shooting off at the mouth about places you've never been to.
Have even been to Dallas? If you had, I doubt you compare far north Dallas with Sandy Springs. Nothing alike.

Atlantaguy, have you ever been to Dallas?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I don't know, In my mind they are both urban places.

College Park is an older, inner-ring streetcar suburb. Block afer block of bungalows, with a historic core.

Sandy Springs is older suburban in many places, but you don't see vacant lots there. There are several miles of mansions like you would see in West Houston, but with much larger lots. There are also skyscrapers, and some very concentrated commercial zones.

Neither one of these has been considered truly suburban for many years.

If these areas were suburban, they would not have MARTA rail service.
Suburban is suburban. West Houston is suburban; not urban.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Have even been to Dallas? If you had, I doubt you compare far north Dallas with Sandy Springs. Nothing alike.

Atlantaguy, have you ever been to Dallas?
Only to change planes at DFW. But, I would love to visit one day.

It's on my short list.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
RESEMBLES an exurb. Learn to read before you start shooting off at the mouth.
I saw what you said, so no need to patronize me.

Sandy Springs doesn't look/resemble an exurb by any definition. Sandy Springs and neighboring Dunwoody are major employment centers pretty much in the middle of the metro area, so by definition, they couldn't look exurban by any defintion. Plano used to be an exurb that has developed into an inner ring suburb as its an employment center in its own right, and has commuters from outlying areas (such as Frisco).

Exurbs tend to be much further out. Places such as Prosper or Red Oak or Ovilla would be exurbs of DFW by the strictest definition. Sandy Springs or College Park have no resemblence to those places.

I wouldn't consider Sandy Springs as "urban," but to say it's similar to an exurb is a falsehood.

Last edited by grindin; 09-23-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City