Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times

Advertisements

All this talk of transportation systems is a moot point if people don't live, work and play within walking distance of these systems. Do any of these cities really meet that qualification?

So let's look at other ways of defining "urbanism" -- independently or locally owned restaurants, hi-caliber nightclubs, extensive boutique shopping -- Miami wins this hands down. I also tend to look at the PEOPLE in an area and their ATTITUDES as to whether a place has an URBAN or PROGRESSIVE attitude. Ghetto culture is NOT urbanism. Timid overweight suburbanite Republicans and Bible thumpers are NOT part of urbanism. Attractive, in-shape people with low obesity rates, people who speak multiple languages, people willing to try new things, who take care of themselves and learn about different cultures -- these are the traits that define urbanism.

Miami of all 4 of these cities wins this HANDS DOWN. Fashion designers usually open their first stores in New York, LA and Miami. Miami is a trend-setter when it comes to nightlife, music, DJ culture (non hip-hop DJs) such as the Winter Music Conference and the Electronic Music festival. Health-conscious restaurants. Model agencies. Artistic media outlets. Boutique hotels. Progressive politics.

Plus, the beautiful beaches in Miami add a classy sensuality that you find in places like the French Riviera, Ibiza, the Greek Islands, Honolulu and other upscale beach locales.

Residents of another city would rather pick Myrtle Beach or Panama City. That's their prerogative. But then they can't claim urbanism in the same breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
This gives a feel of Atlanta's urbanism from Downtown to MLK sta to Inman Park to Chandler Park.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9dJfILfgv8

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88JU334GSg

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcpw2dHDzI

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
^ you must be joking about Dallas. I have lived in many parts of Miami with out the use of a car. I spent 7 years in North Miami (a inner ring suburb) and we never owned a car since everything was within walking distance & my college was a 25 minite bus ride away across town.
Grew up on the northside of Miami Beach again without a car and walked or used mass transit. Most people don't walk several miles but you can in most of greater Miami because we have sidewalks unlike some of the cities listed.
Miami at close to 12,000 people per square mile is the most urban of the four period.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wow.....SS is urban???? That's a new one.

River Oaks is also a neighborhood in Houston; not a suburb. Even for it to have large lots, it's still more walkable and dense than Sandy Springs.

I know my comment offended some of you (I still stand by it though). However, in Texas our suburbs are structured differently than ones in GA. Our suburbs are dense and have houses on small lots. Our exurbs are usually rural with houses on large lots. Similar lots like the ones in SS. You don't see that type of development like in SS around Dallas or Houston until your about 30-50 miles from the city limits.
That is true about Texas. I don't know about Sandy Springs, I've been to ATL but never driven through Sandy Springs. Heard of it many times though.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Miami is more compact but not "urban" you need a car a lot.

Dallas is densifying and has a more urban feel because of the compact downtown/uptown with the trolley system and a nice grid layout. Dallas is by far the most pedestrian friendly of the list. Light rail system is easy to access and doubling its size. Very impressive!

Atlanta has the midtown/downtown area but other than even in buckhead you really just have to use a car and dont walk much at all (I live in Atlanta and I always use a car, the rail is simply not easy to access)

Houston- never been to but with the weird zoning laws I dont imagine it has much of a pedestrian friendly "urban" vibe but I could totally be wrong. I'm sure with the growth Houston is experiencing that is changing nicely.
You need a car for all 4, not just Miami. Miami has metro rail, tri-rail, and the downtown metro mover. How are the other 3 urban, but Miami not? And how is Dallas by far the most pedestrian friendly? I'd go on to say that Miami has a better downtown transportation system then any of the 4, and don't forget Tri-rail which goes 72 miles from West Palm to Miami.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
All this talk of transportation systems is a moot point if people don't live, work and play within walking distance of these systems. Do any of these cities really meet that qualification?

So let's look at other ways of defining "urbanism" -- independently or locally owned restaurants, hi-caliber nightclubs, extensive boutique shopping -- Miami wins this hands down. I also tend to look at the PEOPLE in an area and their ATTITUDES as to whether a place has an URBAN or PROGRESSIVE attitude. Ghetto culture is NOT urbanism. Timid overweight suburbanite Republicans and Bible thumpers are NOT part of urbanism. Attractive, in-shape people with low obesity rates, people who speak multiple languages, people willing to try new things, who take care of themselves and learn about different cultures -- these are the traits that define urbanism.

Miami of all 4 of these cities wins this HANDS DOWN. Fashion designers usually open their first stores in New York, LA and Miami. Miami is a trend-setter when it comes to nightlife, music, DJ culture (non hip-hop DJs) such as the Winter Music Conference and the Electronic Music festival. Health-conscious restaurants. Model agencies. Artistic media outlets. Boutique hotels. Progressive politics.

Plus, the beautiful beaches in Miami add a classy sensuality that you find in places like the French Riviera, Ibiza, the Greek Islands, Honolulu and other upscale beach locales.

Residents of another city would rather pick Myrtle Beach or Panama City. That's their prerogative. But then they can't claim urbanism in the same breath.
Don't overdue it buddy.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ you must be joking about Dallas. I have lived in many parts of Miami with out the use of a car. I spent 7 years in North Miami (a inner ring suburb) and we never owned a car since everything was within walking distance & my college was a 25 minite bus ride away across town.
Grew up on the northside of Miami Beach again without a car and walked or used mass transit. Most people don't walk several miles but you can in most of greater Miami because we have sidewalks unlike some of the cities listed.
Miami at close to 12,000 people per square mile is the most urban of the four period.
That's what I said. How can they all be urban, EXCEPT for Miami?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Thumbs down Stop LYING and Hating.Tell the TRUTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

YES.Atlanta does.Miami DOES NOT.So there goes one of your anti Atlanta arguments.Lindbergh Plaza,Perimeter,Lenox/Buckhead,Doraville/Chamblee etc...Atlantic Station has free shuttles that run all day every 15 minutes.All of those stations(including a lot more) are major center where you can do all of that.Go to a movie,club, restaurants,bars, go home to a high rise condos. you name it.All with a very short walk.

Why look at other ways?Because it does not fit what YOU want?You don't seem to know what urbanism is.You seem to be very biased and exclusionary in your definition of the word.
From Webster's:URBANISM: city life: the typical way of life of people who live in a city or town.It says NOTHING about what you say.You really should drop it.

But I will humor you anyway.So lets examine your assertions:Just about every retailer that is in Miami is in Atlanta or in some cases will move eventually in the "Streets of Buckhead" development that is currently underway.Miami is still better, but Atlanta is not a slouch at all in that department.So stop stretching the truth.Progressive?Atlanta has elected a black FEMALE mayor, and had a Lesbian President of the Atlanta City Council.They also give domestic benefits to gay couples.How many cities not just in the South,where you can see gay people openly holding hands in most places?Where else can you have the nations second wealthiest black households in the country?

Obesity?In 2005 (the most recent survey by the "American Obesity Association" ranked Miami,NYC, Philadelphia,Chicago higher than Atlanta.
Also Miami again at number 1 according to Mens Fitness.
Miami's Vices: Fast Food, TV Make It Fattest; Salt Lake is Fittest - ABC News

Atlanta ranks as one of the "most fittest cities"
At list of the Top 20th Fittest cities in order:.
Washington, D.C.
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Denver
Boston
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland
San Diego
Austin, Texas
Virginia Beach, Va.
Hartford, Conn.
Sacramento, Calif.
San Jose, Calif.
Cincinnati
#15 Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee, Wis.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Baltimore

Miami is @ #31
American Obesity Association - AOA Fact Sheets (http://obesity1.tempdomainname.com/subs/fastfacts/cities.shtml - broken link).
Republican?Atlanta has not had a Republican Mayor in over 60years.

Miami definitely wins win it comes to diversity in race and multiple languages,but Atlanta wins categories like a large and the fastest growing Asian population which Miami has little of.Africans countries,and diversity in religions.Atlanta has large concentrations of Many of Miami residents are from the Carribean and South America.

Once again,you have showed your BIAS here.You say none hip hop.Yet hip hop is listened to all over the world.Snoop Dog was just in Beruit hwere it it made international news.Crowds were out of control.My friend Benjamin from Lyon,France made it a point to spend ridiculous amount of money at Cafe' Dupri and Justin's,just because it was the SoSo Def's and Bad Boys founders,Jermaine Dupri's and P.Diddy's restaurant. Hip Hop is a multi-billion dollar business.Akon,who lives and has a studio in Atlanta ,is one of the worlds top entertainers.The DJ's that you claim to hold in such a high caliber clammer over these hip hop artist to remix and paly their songs in those clubs in Mallorca and Ibiza. Atlanta is home to many artist,music industry and film.

If you must take hip hop out of the equation,the classical arts(music and visual),Miami is nowhere near the top. Not to mention with the Houston has the best overall arts scene.Miami would actually be last.Atlanta and Dallas would be a tie.Atlanta wins with classical music and the Opera scenes.

us, the beautiful beaches in Miami add a classy sensuality that you find in places like the French Riviera, Ibiza, the Greek Islands, Honolulu and other upscale beach locales.

This is really bizarre.What does this have to do with the topic?Miami Beach and Miami are 2 different places.The Majority of Miami does not fit the profile of South Beach.Even North Beach is not as nice as South Beach.Not to mention that "sensuality" has nothing to do with urbanism.You are a complete snob.I see you are more interested in every post hating on Atlanta with absolutely idiotic, asinine,childish lies based on the fact you hated living here in some far flung suburb near the Tennessee border.You obviously know very little about Atlanta.I guess you were to scared to ride MARTA because of all the people that like hip hop ride it too.I don't know what world you are living in but it takes ALL types to make a city urban.This is true worldwide.

Atlanta has the largest educated population of all the major cities in the entire south.The highest graduation rates,and percentage of residents with a bachelors or higher.Atlanta has a $6000 advantage over Miami in per capita income.Poverty rate in Atlanta is at 22.7% vs Miami @ 28.5%.If you want to use the things you say are important,then you have to swallow your own words,because you are just making up crap.

All that stuff you mentioned is superficial.It only adds glamor ,not anything tangible.Im not saying Miami is better or less,but if you are gonna set up phony parameters to support your hatred of a place,at least make sure you speak of what you know about the cities involved beforehand.It just makes you look bitter and jaded.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-24-2009 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
^^Atlanta has the fastest growing Korean population, not the fastest growing Asian population of all Asian races.

Atlantas Asian community is growing, still about 60,000 less than DFW and 75,000 less than Metro Houston.

I think I also forgot to mention that DFW just recently passed Atlanta for fastest growing MSA in the country since 2000. I think the economy probably played a part in that. Atlanta is still a close second, followed by Phoenix then Houston.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This is really bizarre.What does this have to do with the topic?Miami Beach and Miami are 2 different places.The Majority of Miami does not fit the profile of South Beach.Even North Beach is not as nice as South Beach.Not to mention that "sensuality" has nothing to do with urbanism.You are a complete snob.I see you are more interested in every post hating on Atlanta with absolutely idiotic, asinine,childish lies based on the fact you hated living here in some far flung suburb near the Tennessee border.You obviously know very little about Atlanta.I guess you were to scared to ride MARTA because of all the people that like hip hop ride it too.I don't know what world you are living in but it takes ALL types to make a city urban.This is true worldwide.

Atlanta has the largest educated population of all the major cities in the entire south.The highest graduation rates,and percentage of residents with a bachelors or higher.Atlanta has a $6000 advantage over Miami in per capita income.Poverty rate in Atlanta is at 22.7% vs Miami @ 28.5%.If you want to use the things you say are important,then you have to swallow your own words,because you are just making up crap.

All that stuff you mentioned is superficial.It only adds glamor ,not anything tangible.Im not saying Miami is better or less,but if you are gonna set up phony parameters to support your hatred of a place,at least make sure you speak of what you know about the cities involved beforehand.It just makes you look bitter and jaded.
Houston is the most diversity city of the four with over 90 languages spoken here. I believe just in the Alief area alone; about 70 languages are spoken alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City