Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM

103 posts, read 314,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is true...Have you ever heard that there is something called the "Lost Pines" in Central/East Central Texas around Bastrop, TX? They are not in close enough proximity to be grouped with the Pineywoods of East Texas nor the pine trees found throughout the Southeast. But its actually a HUGE stand of pines that sits squarely in Central Texas..

I found that strange, but yeah..I agree with the last bolded statement. I think both Austin and San Antonio are definitely more influenced by western cultures (Austin, western) (San Antonio, Southwestern) than both Dallas or Houston. I think Dallas is an admixture of weak Midwestern, Californian, and mild Southern influences. But Im definitely starting to see why some people try to lump Dallas in with the central plain cities/midwestern cities (I personally see it as a mixture between St. Louis, Kansas City and Memphis).

The southern aura isnt as palpable in Dallas as it is in Houston or East Texas. And the landscape doesnt share many similarities with the landscape found in a majority of Southern areas. Also Houston REALLY maintains its connection with Louisiana and Cajun culture - and even Mississippi to an extent. Dallas enjoys a greater kinship with Oklahoma, which some wouldnt consider a particularly Deep South state (although still southern.)

Anywho, in general I judge both regions by their outlying communities. Those rural/suburban communities just outside of Houston honestly feel like the Deep South and/or Gulf Coast regions.. (Cleveland, Conroe, Humble, Katy, Tomball, Pasadena, Baytown, MO City etc.). Those rural or suburban communities just outside of Dallas also feel southern..but not deep southern...they feel southern like places found in Southeast Oklahoma and in Central Texas.
Yes, I totally agree. Houston is more of a gulf coast/ international populated city with some Lousiaina-cajun traces and feels. I mean, majority (like 85%) of the Black population who has lived in Houston for generations has or still have ties to their southern Lousiana or even southwest Mississippi roots. Dallas is a bit more lower Midwest/upper Southern/ transplant California snobbish vibe. Its somewhat more of a Texan sterotyped with East Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas roots involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah, but still it just goes to show Dallas is still far from any type of coastline. In Houston, you got the coast about 50 minutes away and hills about an hour away.
true, the beaches and coastline is Houston's playground, but there are some nice lakes with coastlines and beaches and whatnot that Dallas is close to. But Houston might wins if you into the beach and coastlines vibe.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
true, the beaches and coastline is Houston's playground, but there are some nice lakes with coastlines and beaches and whatnot that Dallas is close to. But Houston might wins if you into the beach and coastlines vibe.
I love both cities and being born in raised in Waco makes me more able to cope with the fact of not being located nearby the coast. I was perfectly fine going to the Airport Beach (A lake) to swim lol

Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Southern areas of Arlington? I don't think so. The southern areas of Arlington are like North Katy. I have friends who stay in that part of GP and it's mostly white. But the Best Southwest is the best example.

Nah.

First, the "Katrina effect" is not why Houston has more Blacks than DFW (talking metro areas). DFW has always had more Caucasians and less Blacks than Houston. That, and Houston definitely has a strong concentration of middle class blacks. More than DFW. It wasn't too long ago that Missouri City was rated one of the top cities/suburbs for Blacks.
Not only that, but Dallas it is also more segerated. Blacks= South Dallas. Whites= North Dallas and its burbs. Hispanics= both North and South, hell all over. Houston is more intergrated, esp after the late 1970's. You can live anywhere in Houston and see some intergrations (except River Oaks, West University, Memorial and some parts of Katy and Clear Lake/Friendswood.) For the longest, the Blacks in Dallas all resided in South Dallas/Oak Cliff/South Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove mostly. Everything else was Whites only. Houston had 3rd, 4th and 5th wards/South Park/Sunnyside/Pleasantville/Acres Homes/Carver-area/Missouri City/Hiram Clarke.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I love both cities and being born in raised in Waco makes me more able to cope with the fact of not being located nearby the coast. I was perfectly fine going to the Airport Beach (A lake) to swim lol

cool, i hear Wace is a nice. small mid-size city. My family orignated from Bremond and Temple/ Roberson County i think.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Not only that, but Dallas it is also more segerated. Blacks= South Dallas. Whites= North Dallas and its burbs. Hispanics= both North and South, hell all over. Houston is more intergrated, esp after the late 1970's. You can live anywhere in Houston and see some intergrations (except River Oaks, West University, Memorial and some parts of Katy and Clear Lake/Friendswood.) For the longest, the Blacks in Dallas all resided in South Dallas/Oak Cliff/South Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove mostly. Everything else was Whites only. Houston had 3rd, 4th and 5th wards/South Park/Sunnyside/Pleasantville/Acres Homes/Carver-area/Missouri City/Hiram Clarke.
I think I can read into this a little bit. One thing Ive noticed about Dallas is the black community tries harder to keep itself seperate way more so than Ive seen in other cities like Houston or LA. Latinos, Whites, and Asians in Dallas are integrated quite well, but African Americans here try hard to be amongst themselves. I cant figure it out. I know its definately not that way in Houston.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think I can read into this a little bit. One thing Ive noticed about Dallas is the black community tries harder to keep itself seperate way more so than Ive seen in other cities like Houston or LA. Latinos, Whites, and Asians in Dallas are integrated quite well, but African Americans here try hard to be amongst themselves. I cant figure it out. I know its definately not that way in Houston.
That's interesting. I never knew that.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's interesting. I never knew that.
I dont have any scientific proof, it just seems that way.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
I see, do you like the soupy humidity Houston has. I liked Dallas because it has a clean, hilly kinda of elevated character that Houston doesnt have. Yes Houston is treesy and lush ( on north, northeast and west sides) and it has the bay (which dirty and muddy but decent) and Galveston's beaches but thats it. Its flat as a board, Dallas is not. Dallas is also lush landcaped esp in its olders areas.
Not all of metro Houston is flat as a board. Especially the NW and N areas. not as hilly as DFW though.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
I understand personal preferences, but the obsession with elevation is a slightly overblown on this website imo. I mean seriously, I dont understand this obsession with varied terrain elevation. I understand that in states and cities with real elevation, the slopes and mountains could allow people to hike, ski etc.

But, personally, if I cant have true vistas/panoramas, then slight hills just dont seem as important to me. Not that they detract from a city's beauty in the least. But IMO small hills certainly arent something to split hairs over if mountains arent present and/or involved. But again to each his own. I certainly accept that some people may even prefer flatter cities over those with mountains. I guess its just personal preference but the default thought process/standard on C-D seems to be that varied elevation automatically makes a place more beautiful. I just dont get why thats such a cherished feature in cities, particularly those cities like Dallas or Houston, that arent near actual mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City