Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You speak the truth in some ways, but these places to your point are advancing for a reason, pro-business state gov't, cheap real estate and a decent place to live. You miss my sarcasm but it doesnt translate well in the written word, but the number of threads with discussions that articulate why this cookie cutter is better than that cookie cutter are both entertaining and sad to your point. Why can't we have a real conversation about density of starbucks

Or how wide the sidewalks are, or how far I can walk up the corner to the store without being mistaken for a hooker or the density of CVS Pharmacy vs the density of Walgreens or Rite-Aids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I was questioning how Dallas lacked certain things as far as city life goes.

It's really hard to explain. Dallas just felt like a gigantic suburb and had very little in terms of substance to me. It just felt fake and artificial. It just felt like something was missing when I was there.

And I'm from LA of all places. However, LA has managed to mature, and even though its a sprawling mess, it has some substance to it.

But it's perspective. I went to college in a Northeastern city and lived there afterward for a few years, which gave me a taste for that type of city, and Dallas just didn't deliver to me in that aspect.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do not believe there are any walmarts in the inner loop of Houston. Just one more reason why the inner loop is the city and metro part of Houston and the rest is the suburban part.

I love how the Houstonians like to include just the Inner Loop or the entire city limits depending on the argument.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I love how the Houstonians like to include just the Inner Loop or the entire city limits depending on the argument.
You know it's all about being that one step ahead of Dallas.

You can understand that part!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

Good perspective

Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You cannot say your city is world class and then have a 7 post comment talk about Wal Mart. And ESPECIALLY in the City VS City room where the idea is not to make your own city look bad. Wal Mart isn't necessarily bad- but it's not something people think too highly of during discussions.?
Hey Om, I don't think the posters were exactly bragging about having Wal-marts, one was actually claiming that Dallas didn't have any. I posted proof from Wal-mart's website that they actually have about 8 with a Dallas address. Hey man, even Chicago has a Wal-mart

Quote:
Listening to their delusions is quite hilarious in a sad way. Talking about how many Walmarts they have in the city? LMAO. There is a Walmart right near my old neighborhood in Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw area out in LA. People aren't bragging about it though. It's just a place to shop. Then they wonder why the posters from other parts of the country mock and laugh at them. Dallas and Houston may be growing fast, but world class? Hell no!
Wow, that's a tad bit insulting and I'm not even from Texas. I didn't realize that the new index for how world class a city is came out: "Do you have a Wal-Mart; loose a point. Do you have more than one; loose an additional point for each one. Do you brag about having a Wal-Mart; loose all chances of ever being considered anything thing other than a Podunk pile of countryness. Again, not sure anybody was bragging about having Wal-Marts, maybe they were saying how nice & clean the fully remodeled ones they do have actually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do not believe there are any walmarts in the inner loop of Houston. Just one more reason why the inner loop is the city and metro part of Houston and the rest is the suburban part.
That is correct but I count 12 with a Houston address.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Or how wide the sidewalks are, or how far I can walk up the corner to the store without being mistaken for a hooker or the density of CVS Pharmacy vs the density of Walgreens or Rite-Aids.

Are the sidewalks bigger or smaller inside the loop

on the loop topic, driving around them feels like many threads here

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wow, that's a tad bit insulting and I'm not even from Texas. I didn't realize that the new index for how world class a city is came out: "Do you have a Wal-Mart; loose a point. Do you have more than one; loose an additional point for each one. Do you brag about having a Wal-Mart; loose all chances of ever being considered anything thing other than a Podunk pile of countryness. Again, not sure anybody was bragging about having Wal-Marts, maybe they were saying how nice & clean the fully remodeled ones they do have actually are.
Talk about overthinking a point

No, the number of Walmarts not the index for a world class city, but my argument stands that you don't see people in true world class cities argue about such trivial, silly matters. They just spend time looking down at the Sunbelt cities and "flyover country", which is just as unconstrcutive.

Let The Record Show that my standards for what are considered "world class" cities are extremely high, so very few cities pass the muster to me. If you, coming from the "world-class" metropolis of Orlando think that Dallas and Houston are 'world class,' that's fine with me. I'll just happen to vehemently disagree.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Hey Om, I don't think the posters were exactly bragging about having Wal-marts, one was actually claiming that Dallas didn't have any. I posted proof from Wal-mart's website that they actually have about 8 with a Dallas address. Hey man, even Chicago has a Wal-mart
Haha I live in Houston too! I just think these two cities are much more than a Wal-Mart discussion. You have to admit though, any discussion about Wal-Mart's on a City VS City room makes both cities look pretty bad to outsiders who want to know more about them. If this was the Texas board, it would have been fine- because it's less likely to have outsiders there. You know what I mean right?

Houston just finished up it's touches on it's new theme park!!! It's finally official for good!! That should be in the discussion instead of Wal-Mart, IMHO!

Haha, but it's all good.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I'm not a Houstonian AND I simply said that the inner loop is the only "city" part of the entire city. Meaning, it actually feels like a city. It's 95 sq miles and approaching 6000 ppsm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City