Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better economy?
Houston 59 49.17%
Chicago 61 50.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Just see for yourself, if you can provide a legitimate source for your metropolitan statistics for Chicagoland and the Bay Area then I'll go with it, but for now I'm going to refute it.

Also, I've lived in Chicago majority of my life, I now go to school in Austin, I'm not just a Houston defender, but I defend Chicago more. lol

Global 500 2008: Cities

Those are for the Fortune Global 500 companies in the city area.
Here is a list of economies by size:

http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomi..._June_2008.pdf

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I have a problem with the accuracy of the second list. Charlotte, which has a higher GDP than Cleveland is not even ranked. Go figure.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I have a problem with the accuracy of the second list. Charlotte, which has a higher GDP than Cleveland is not even ranked. Go figure.
I agree, I'm not trying to say Houston > Chicago or anything or Chicago > Houston, but I don't quite follow that second link either. It seems very out of date OR inaccurate. But that's just my opinion, I don't know for sure, I'm surely going to look into it.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
In 2007, the area ranked first among U.S. metro areas in the number of new and expanded corporate facilities. It ranked third in 2008, behind the Houston Metropolitan Area and the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
The Wall Street Journal summarized the Chicago area's economy in November 2006 with the comment that "Chicago has survived by repeatedly reinventing itself."

^ Found that under Chicagoland lol the internet can be a very resourceful place.

I admit, you're right, Chicago's GDP/GAP is currently higher than Houston's but Houston's is at a faster rate of growth than Chicago's. It'll eventually overtake Chicago.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It will probably be a long time before that happens.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I agree, I'm not trying to say Houston > Chicago or anything or Chicago > Houston, but I don't quite follow that second link either. It seems very out of date OR inaccurate. But that's just my opinion, I don't know for sure, I'm surely going to look into it.
PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) is a different measure of Gross Domestic Product...GDP usually is composed of the following equation:

GDP = Pvt Consumption + Gross Investment + Gov't Spending + (Exports - Imports)

Purchasing Power Parity takes into account several different factors like Forex, interest rates, etc (ultimately it tries to find out to how much it costs to buy Product X in Country A vs Country B)...however I'm not sure how that would affect comparisons between domestic cities...theoretically I don't think it should unless they decided to break down the "Basket of Goods" comparison between local economies. This may be jibberish to some of you, so I won't go any further hah. It has been a long day and my mind is swimming.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) is a different measure of Gross Domestic Product...GDP usually is composed of the following equation:

GDP = Pvt Consumption + Gross Investment + Gov't Spending + (Exports - Imports)

Purchasing Power Parity takes into account several different factors like Forex, interest rates, etc (ultimately it tries to find out to how much it costs to buy Product X in Country A vs Country B)...however I'm not sure how that would affect comparisons between domestic cities...theoretically I don't think it should unless they decided to break down the "Basket of Goods" comparison between local economies. This may be jibberish to some of you, so I won't go any further hah. It has been a long day and my mind is swimming.
That makes absolute sense, I never looked at what they were measuring I just looked at the stats and quickly jumped to base a conclusion.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If nothing else, the first list is very accurate.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That makes absolute sense, I never looked at what they were measuring I just looked at the stats and quickly jumped to base a conclusion.
Thanks for clearing that up!
haha no problem...sometimes I type stuff and it makes total sense in my head and then I look at what I've typed and I'm like "holy crap, that's the biggest pile of jibberish I've ever seen". Glad to see this wasn't one of those times.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM

196 posts, read 457,906 times
Chicago

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Depends on the time period.

Now: Obviously Houston. (low unemployment rate)
Majority of the time: Usually Chicago. (higher GDP generated)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City