Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most libral?
Tennessee 3 3.90%
Georgia 3 3.90%
South Carolina 0 0%
North Carolina 31 40.26%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississippi 0 0%
Florida 34 44.16%
Texas 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM

195 posts, read 427,113 times

Advertisements

Of the list I say Florida. The upper part of Florida ( around Jacksonville/ Gainesville to Pensacola) is more conservative. Most of the state of Florida is Liberal.

The Urban areas of North Carolina are liberal while the rural areas are conservative. the demographics in the rural areas in North Carolina is changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Florida. There's plenty of minorities--mostly hispanics--and old people wanting free government handouts from Democrats.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Florida. There's plenty of minorities--mostly hispanics--and old people wanting free government handouts from Democrats.
Wow, unnecessary much? Geez, bitter.(old people bother me to though)

Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
I live in both Florida and NC. It's true that the liberal area of Florida is more significant than the liberal areas of NC. However, the conservative areas of Florida seems more conservative than the conservative areas in NC. Additionally, Florida's state govenment is completely controlled by Republicans while NC's is completely controlled by Democrats.
Florida has some of the most conservative "social" laws on the books of any state in the country while NC remains the ONLY state in the entire South without an amendment to the constitution banning gay marriage.
Miami became the first community in the US to give any gay rights at all but the State of Florida quickly became the first state in the nation to take away the rights as they ushered in some of the most anti-gay set of state laws in the country.
To me, it's clear that NC is the more liberal state. While FL has some liberal areas, it doesn't translate to the entire state and its policies/politics.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in both Florida and NC. It's true that the liberal area of Florida is more significant than the liberal areas of NC. However, the conservative areas of Florida seems more conservative than the conservative areas in NC. Additionally, Florida's state govenment is completely controlled by Republicans while NC's is completely controlled by Democrats.
Florida has some of the most conservative "social" laws on the books of any state in the country while NC remains the ONLY state in the entire South without an amendment to the constitution banning gay marriage.
Miami became the first community in the US to give any gay rights at all but the State of Florida quickly became the first state in the nation to take away the rights as they ushered in some of the most anti-gay set of state laws in the country.
To me, it's clear that NC is the more liberal state. While FL has some liberal areas, it doesn't translate to the entire state and its policies/politics.
Point taken, but Florida's conservative areas aren't really anymore conservative then NC's. I think the reason why Florida's Gov, is more controlled by Republicans, is because of the LARGER area of Conservative counties throughout the state going from north of Orlando all the way to Pensacola. NC's cities are not far flung away from each other within the state they all tend to be in central NC where most of the political power is, and the outer conservative areas not as strong. The story of Florida politics is funny, Florida made some of the strictest laws regarding gay issues, yet Fort Lauderdale, South Florida, and to a certain aspect Orlando are some of the most Gay-Friendliest areas in the Southern US apparently. The Florida Panhandle/North Florida and Florida below Daytona Beach are like night and day

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas are all kind of "bifurcated" states. They have an area that's very liberal while the rest is pretty conservative. North Carolina did give the Congress Jesse Helms and even now they have Representative Virginia Foxx who is pretty conservative. In the last four Presidential elections Republicans carried North Carolina three times.

Still the NC delegation to Congress is majority Democratic while Florida's is majority Republican. It's a bit of a toss-up. I still might guess Florida though as many of their Republicans, like Charlie Crist, are pretty moderate while at least two NC Democrats (McIntyre and Shuler) are Pro-Life Blue Dogs.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas are all kind of "bifurcated" states. They have an area that's very liberal while the rest is pretty conservative. North Carolina did give the Congress Jesse Helms and even now they have Representative Virginia Foxx who is pretty conservative. In the last four Presidential elections Republicans carried North Carolina three times.

Still the NC delegation to Congress is majority Democratic while Florida's is majority Republican. It's a bit of a toss-up. I still might guess Florida though as many of their Republicans, like Charlie Crist, are pretty moderate while at least two NC Democrats (McIntyre and Shuler) are Pro-Life Blue Dogs.
Very true. And I never realized how moderate Charlie is. And I totally forgot about Virginia Foxx.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
In this region of the country, you cant label any one of those states as liberal. There are areas of each state that are liberal. Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, are all liberal cities, but Texas, Georgia, and Florida are sure as hell not liberal states.

If I had to pick one, it would probably be North Carolina.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:50 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
My guess was Florida, followed by North Carolina.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida is MODERATE if anything.
...exactly... and on the don't be fooled...

FL has had a republican governor since 1998... jeb bush ring a bell??? hellooo and he almost won in 1994 too...

fl house is also 77 republicans to 42 democrats... (of those 23 of them are from fll/miami...) does that give you a better idea of FL?

the truth is NONE of these states are liberal... fl and nc are moderate, the rest are conservative. They aren't on the same playing field as the west coast, upper midwest (IL, MI, WI, MN) or northeast... whole different ball game and if you go looking for it you will sorely be dissapointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City