Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I used to live there but I found my way out
To Sierra Vista nonetheless...my friends in the military down there find there way up to Tucson and Phoenix "the same way"...each to their own.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
People who flaunt their city relentlessly and defend it no matter what others' opinions are have serious inferiority complexes! Why do you care if other people aren't fond of your city?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
People who flaunt their city relentlessly and defend it no matter what others' opinions are have serious inferiority complexes! Why do you care if other people aren't fond of your city?
That's quite a generalization there West336.

I am not a fan of people () who pick apart other cities that they've obviously have little knowledge of or have never stepped foot in (based on the comments they make), yet complain when people try to educate them about the differences between their perceptions and the realities. Is that something you can relate to?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
To Sierra Vista nonetheless...my friends in the military down there find there way up to Tucson and Phoenix "the same way"...each to their own.
Hope they don't get stuck in traffic for hours whenever there is an accident.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Scottsdale and Tempe are some of the WORST examples to feature nightlife in Phoenix. The only people who like the Scottsdale scene are the Ed Hardy/Tommy Bahama douchoise posers and the gold-digging bimbos and cougars that love them. And Tempe? I'm too old for the frat boy/sorostitute scene. People who don't like dealing with those types of scenes are lost on what to do out there.

PHX is fun if you like to hike and golf and do other sorts of outdoor activities, but they fail when it comes to being an actual city rather than the overgrown suburb that they really are.

Quote:
Phoenix does have beautiful surroundings, and it's while it doesn't have the quantity of nightlife like Vegas, LA, NYC, Miami, Scottsdale does have the quality, and these people don't look bored to me. A tidbit of Scottsdale:

YouTube - Dusk / Night arrival into Scottsdale

YouTube - Above & Beyond @ Myst Night Club, Scottsdale, AZ 5/8/09

YouTube - Armin Van Buuren @ Axis-Radius (05.14.08) Part 2

YouTube - Markus Schulz gets personal with the crowd at Cream Stereo Lounge

YouTube - Melody of the Pussycat Dolls performs at Pussycat Lounge in Scottsdale 3/19/2010

YouTube - CREAM Stereo Lounge Nightclub in Scottsdale Arizona DJ TRANZIT LEE KALT - House Music TV

YouTube - Club Crashers Phoenix Trailer

YouTube - Scottsdale Nightlife:Olive & Ivy, Furio's and Mondrian hotel

YouTube - Scottsdale Nightlife

Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
That's quite a generalization there West336.

I am not a fan of people () who pick apart other cities that they've obviously have little knowledge of or have never stepped foot in (based on the comments they make), yet complain when people try to educate them about the differences between their perceptions and the realities. Is that something you can relate to?
I don't think I've said one bad thing about your city. What the hell are you talking about? Why do you always feel the need to explain to people why they are wrong? So what if people think Phoenix is boring.....crying about it just reinforces others' opinions

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivinfast View Post
Charlotte has got to be, it's a nice place to gain and learn nothing. Culture is lacking from this city in an unfortunate way. Any existence of somewhat cultural events, exotic restaurants, or diverse music is a poor attempt by some washed up losers who couldn't make a profit in a thriving city and were forced to move here to "save money". Did I mention it's a great place to save money especially if you are not interested in fashion or fun. You can get married, buy a house, have kids and a dog and then boast (like the locals do) about how cheap the taxes are here.

Driving around this "city" is annoying and public transportation is predominantly inadequate. The a majority of the people here seem to have handicapped minds when it comes to basic driving skills, and the North Carolina law supports these people. In most states the left lane is considered a passing lane, no? Welcome to Charlotte, home of it takes me 30mins to get 10miles around here because retirees feel the need to join the morning commute during rush hour. Take my advise, don't ever honk or flash your lights at a local: it's taken as a personal attack which will result in some big red hay-filled tractor-towing truck wanting to have an ego-driven road rage war with you. I other cities people actually have a destination when they get on the freeway...here the freeway is for landscape admirers and sight-seers.

"Southern hospitality" is super-pretentious (especially if you are a non-Southern American)....it's like everyone worked in customer service and knows they should "be nice" but really want to spit on you when you walk by. Other "city people" might be considered rude, but at least they are genuine.

Charlotte is sad place for creative minds and a lonely place for the adventurous.

Nice cheap quiet place to have a life, but not a place to live life.
Nice place to gain and learn nothing. Culture is lacking from this city in an unfortunate way. Any existence of somewhat cultural events, exotic restaurants, or diverse music is a poor attempt by some washed up losers who couldn't make a profit in a thriving city and were forced to move here to "save money". Did I mention it's a great place to save money especially if you are not interested in fashion or fun. You can get married, buy a house, have kids and a dog and then boast (like the locals do) about how cheap the taxes are here.

Driving around this "city" is annoying and public transportation is predominantly inadequate. The a majority of the people here seem to have handicapped minds when it comes to basic driving skills, and the North Carolina law supports these people. In most states the left lane is considered a passing lane, no? Welcome to Charlotte, home of it takes me 30mins to get 10miles around here because retirees feel the need to join the morning commute during rush hour. Take my advise, don't ever honk or flash your lights at a local: it's taken as a personal attack which will result in some big red hay-filled tractor-towing truck wanting to have an ego-driven road rage war with you. I other cities people actually have a destination when they get on the freeway...here the freeway is for landscape admirers and sight-seers.

"Southern hospitality" is super-pretentious (especially if you are a non-Southern American)....it's like everyone worked in customer service and knows they should "be nice" but really want to spit on you when you walk by. Other "city people" might be considered rude, but at least they are genuine.

Charlotte is sad place for creative minds and a lonely place for the adventurous.

Nice cheap quiet place to have a life, but not a place to live life.
Umm, why did you feel the need to repeat the same thing twice? Also, it states that you are from Nashville, isn't Nashville part of the south too, b'c you felt the need to attck "southern hospitality," just curious!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I don't think I've said one bad thing about your city. What the hell are you talking about? Why do you always feel the need to explain to people why they are wrong? So what if people think Phoenix is boring.....crying about it just reinforces others' opinions
If I'm not mistaken, I said people...does that refer to you? I'm not quite sure why you are referring to me as always explaining to people why they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I won't dispute that, but that is quite different from responding to people who often speak in absolutes and love throwing out sweeping generalizations, especially when they are incorrect. Now, if that applies to you, great! If not, that's ok too.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 AM

It sounded like you were directing that at me, which is fine, but I wasn't knocking Phoenix....so I didn't see the reason, that's all. We're good.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Scottsdale and Tempe are some of the WORST examples to feature nightlife in Phoenix. The only people who like the Scottsdale scene are the Ed Hardy/Tommy Bahama douchoise posers and the gold-digging bimbos and cougars that love them. And Tempe? I'm too old for the frat boy/sorostitute scene. People who don't like dealing with those types of scenes are lost on what to do out there.

PHX is fun if you like to hike and golf and do other sorts of outdoor activities, but they fail when it comes to being an actual city rather than the overgrown suburb that they really are.
LOL...I love your generalizations as well as the use of the word only. I've seen your other posts about Scottsdale and Phoenix, and it seems as though you have an axe to grind, yet I guess you've disputed the theory that Phoenix is made up of just retirees...I say live and let live. You don't have to like a place, but specifically trying to classify the masses into just two categories is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

BTW, you're pretty negative about the area as well as Dallas (among other cities), but I was wondering where exactly do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City