Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which state has the best public colleges (other than California)
Texas (UT and T A&M systems) 25 24.27%
North Carolina (UNC system and NC State) 25 24.27%
Michigan 16 15.53%
New york (SUNY) 17 16.50%
Ohio 7 6.80%
Pennsylvania 13 12.62%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

EASILY TX and NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Add GA to that list.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
We all know that California has the best public universities of and state. The real question is which state is next. Feel free to tell us where you went to school and your overall impression as well as why you chose that state

I went to Texas A&M @ College Station and I was very glad to go there
I was wondering why Texas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I was wondering why Texas.

Why include Texas or why did I go to school there?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yep...there is a UNC campus in every corner of the state. Chapel Hill offers everything under the sun, and the larger campuses like East Carolina, Appalachian, Greensboro, and Charlotte offer almost everything that Chapel Hill offers.

NC State and NC A&T are the engineering schools
NC State is the only veterinary school
Chapel Hill has the only schools of pharmacy and dentistry
East Carolina and Chapel Hill are the two medical schools
Not true that Chapel Hill offers everything under the Sun....

When the consolidated UNC system was created in the 60s, programs were selected for its two largest institutions: UNC-CH and NC State, so that any money coming to the State wouldn't be diluted by in-state competing programs. For instance, while UNC was given Dentistry, NC State was given Design. One cannot go to UNC-CH and recieve an architecture education and one cannot go to NC State to become a Dentist, etc.
As the system matured, additional programs were provided at other branches of the system but were not expanded between Chapel Hill and NC State. For example, UNC-Charlotte was given an architecture program and ECU was given a medical school but architecture is still not available at Chapel Hill and Medicine is still not available at NC State.
At this time, NC State is the largest institution and UNC-CH is second in the system. It used to be reversed. ECU is rapidly growing and is the third largest of the institutions.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Not true that Chapel Hill offers everything under the Sun....

When the consolidated UNC system was created in the 60s, programs were selected for its two largest institutions: UNC-CH and NC State, so that any money coming to the State wouldn't be diluted by in-state competing programs. For instance, while UNC was given Dentistry, NC State was given Design. One cannot go to UNC-CH and recieve an architecture education and one cannot go to NC State to become a Dentist, etc.
As the system matured, additional programs were provided at other branches of the system but were not expanded between Chapel Hill and NC State. For example, UNC-Charlotte was given an architecture program and ECU was given a medical school but architecture is still not available at Chapel Hill and Medicine is still not available at NC State.
At this time, NC State is the largest institution and UNC-CH is second in the system. It used to be reversed. ECU is rapidly growing and is the third largest of the institutions.
Okay...it's just an expression.

I listed most of the different schools that are only offered in certain locations. I know Chapel Hill has a college of law and there is one other college of law somewhere - I don't know where.

Quote:
NC State and NC A&T are the engineering schools
NC State is the only veterinary school
Chapel Hill has the only schools of pharmacy and dentistry
East Carolina and Chapel Hill are the two medical schools

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-13-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Add GA to that list.
I love my state,but um,NO.Virginia should be on there before Texas;I
mean really:
UVA
VT
Virginia Military Institute
Washington and Lee University
College of William and Mary
George Mason Univ.
Hampton Univ.
Old Dominion University
Norfolk State University

Texas has 4 great schools.The rest are very average.I could be wrong but this is just my off the cuff thoughts.Please feel free to say otherwise.
Also i forgot about New Jersey.I cannot believe I am the only one that voted for PA.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I love my state,but um,NO.Virginia should be on there before Texas;I
mean really:
UVA
VT
Virginia Military Institute
Washington and Lee University
College of William and Mary
George Mason Univ.
Hampton Univ.
Old Dominion University
Norfolk State University

Texas has 4 great schools.The rest are very average.I could be wrong but this is just my off the cuff thoughts.Please feel free to say otherwise.
Also i forgot about New Jersey.I cannot believe I am the only one that voted for PA.
I should have put Virginia and Georgia on and left NY and Ohio off. Virginia has some very good schools as well as I mentioned earlier. Hampton and Washington and Lee are private though aren't they?

I was asking about overall public university quality though

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
why include texas or why did i go to school there?
no,they have great schools(ut-austin for one),but other states you left out before texas.like n.j.,va. And massachusetts to name a few.

Actually scratch that,you said public.my bad.ok yes texas is good.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
I should have put Virginia and Georgia on and left NY and Ohio off. Virginia has some very good schools as well as I mentioned earlier. Hampton and Washington and Lee are private though aren't they?

I was asking about overall public university quality though
Does Virginia have a cohesive state university system? I know there are highly respected public universities in the state, but I'm not aware of an actual system that acts as a governing body to all of the universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City