Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which state has the best public colleges (other than California)
Texas (UT and T A&M systems) 25 24.27%
North Carolina (UNC system and NC State) 25 24.27%
Michigan 16 15.53%
New york (SUNY) 17 16.50%
Ohio 7 6.80%
Pennsylvania 13 12.62%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
This list loses a lot of credibiity--to the extent any CD poll has crediblity-- with the Virginia omission.
What's up with all of this "losing credibility" talk? Every time someone here doesn't like something or someone makes a mistake, credibility is "lost." This is one of the most annoying statements I see on here. It ranks up there with "cherrypicking," "comparing apples and oranges," "painting with a broad brush," "generalizing" and "a slippery slope."

That said, I'd say UVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Washington should be on this. University of Washington is one of the best public colleges in america right on par (or slightly ahead) with U of M and not far behind Berkeley. WSU has one of the best computer engineering programs (funded by Paul Allen) and a top vet program. Western Washington is one of the best teaching colleges in america with a solid business program. Eastern and Central are solid schools. Emerging UW branch schools and Bellevue College, some of the best community colleges in america. This is a great place to go to school!
I would like to see any credible rating system that has UW "right on par (or slightly ahead) with U of M. (assuming you are referring to Michigan?).

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I would like to see any credible rating system that has UW "right on par (or slightly ahead) with U of M. (assuming you are referring to Michigan?).
Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2013| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2013 | World University Ranking - 2013

ARWU is the one ranking I have seen that focuses solely on the quality of academics. The tab titled methodology has their no fluff criteria.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2013| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2013 | World University Ranking - 2013

ARWU is the one ranking I have seen that focuses solely on the quality of academics. The tab titled methodology has their no fluff criteria.
Interesting, I had no idea.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
University of Washington (Seattle) is great! Plus, they have a gorgeous Ivy-league looking campus. Their undergraduate rankings are good, but it's UW's grad programs that really shine. Their grad programs are always in the top 5 or top 10. UW has the top med school program in the country.

I'm currently enrolled in UW's law school

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM

44 posts, read 50,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What's up with all of this "losing credibility" talk? Every time someone here doesn't like something or someone makes a mistake, credibility is "lost." This is one of the most annoying statements I see on here. It ranks up there with "cherrypicking," "comparing apples and oranges," "painting with a broad brush," "generalizing" and "a slippery slope."

That said, I'd say UVA.

I had to laugh a bit when I read this. This is an opinion-based forum. I don't care if someone is "credible" one bit, Who cares really, but cybermorons who think they are a vessel of massive knowledge believe that their mere presence and desire to hog the bandwith provides them credibility instantly lol...when they aren't anyone special more than another. Some posters become embued and impressed with their own clickity-clicking providing retorts to make themselves feel better. Others get too easily riled up over another's postings or pure opinion. They are the keepers of "credible talk" you see...lol They are the ones ready to pounce with feeble attempts at discrediting you. I think it's funny when someone gets visibly upset. I literally laugh out loud and shake my head about the idiots !

That said, I'd agree on the University of Virginia !...no I'm not an alum I went to school in IA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City