Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which state has the best public colleges (other than California)
Texas (UT and T A&M systems) 25 24.27%
North Carolina (UNC system and NC State) 25 24.27%
Michigan 16 15.53%
New york (SUNY) 17 16.50%
Ohio 7 6.80%
Pennsylvania 13 12.62%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

The answer isn't on the list...

it is Virginia

UVA, Virgina Tech and William and Mary are all very high ranked public universities. UVA often switches with the #1 spot. CWM is often around 5...

Right behind that would be Michigan because of the heavyweight UM and Michigan State...Michigan also often switches with the #1 spot.

Mich and VA have several #1 depts nationwide over all public/priv universities... UCB does this too... i.e. UCB is the #1 English dept. in the United States.

Out of the rest of the states provided UNC-Chapel Hill is the only university with that elite weight however..

For hard science depts... GT and UIUC deserve mention... they would rank higher than any public in any of the states listed above...

Last edited by grapico; 10-13-2009 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The answer isn't on the list...

it is Virginia

UVA, Virgina Tech and William and Mary are all very high ranked public universities. UVA often switches with the #1 spot. CWM is often around 5...

Right behind that would be Michigan because of the heavyweight UM and Michigan State...Michigan also often switches with the #1 spot.

Mich and VA have several #1 depts nationwide over all public/priv universities... UCB does this too... i.e. UCB is the #1 English dept. in the United States.
Top Public Universities

1. UC-Berkeley
2. UCLA
3. UVA
4. Michigan
5. UNC-Chapel Hill
6. William & Mary
7. Georgia Tech
8. UC-San Diego
9. Illinois
10. Wisconsin

Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Of the states listed, NC is the smallest state but really puts out a strong university system (and we only have one - UNC). Chapel Hill is just awesome for a southern public school and is why they call it one of the "Public Ivy's."

I also agree Virginia should be up on this list as I would put it second but very close (I have a slight bias to NC I know)

Last edited by Maabus1999; 10-13-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Of the states listed, NC is the smallest state but really puts out a strong university system (and we only have one - UNC). Chapel Hill is just awesome for a southern public school and is why they call it one of the "Public Ivy's."

I also agree Virginia should be up on this list as I would put it second but very close (I have a slight bias to NC I know)
I asked this question earlier but didn't get an answer...Does Virginia have a cohesive state university system? I know there are highly respected public universities in the state, but I'm not aware of an actual system that acts as a governing body to all of the universities.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
New York (SUNY).

Old 10-14-2009, 05:37 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
We all know that California has the best public universities of and state. The real question is which state is next. Feel free to tell us where you went to school and your overall impression as well as why you chose that state

I went to Texas A&M @ College Station and I was very glad to go there
Pennsylvania has my vote.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Texas, it has a lot of public universities, with most of them being in a system.

Another system thats worth mentioning, is the University of Houston system.
With close to 60,000 students, it is the 4th largest university system in Texas. But, is the largest system that focuses on an MSA.

UH is a pretty decent school with the 2nd-most diverse student population, and a ranked football team.(not going into detail). There are 4 general universities in Downtown, Clear Lake, Victoria, and its central campus. And smaller institutions in Cinco Ranch(Katy), and Sugarland. And their is a proposed branch that will be the 3rd medical school in Houston, to be located in the Texas Medical Center.

Add in the University of Texas System(190,00)+, Texas A&M System(103,000+), Texas State University System(64,000), Texas Tech University System(43,000), and North Texas University System (38,000+), and Texas is arguably the best state for public education.

And those are only University Systems, there are others like Stephen F. Austin, Texas Southern, Texas Woman's, and Midwestern State.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I asked this question earlier but didn't get an answer...Does Virginia have a cohesive state university system? I know there are highly respected public universities in the state, but I'm not aware of an actual system that acts as a governing body to all of the universities.
Hard to say. I'll have to look.

On a side note, is it just me or are some people voting for quantity over quality?

Bah, let's add some fuel to the fire: the ACC by far has the best schools for "quality of education" out of all NCAA Division IA. Who disagrees?

Hehe, this will be fun. *Waits on Pac 10 attack*

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
You left out the University of Wisconsin system, which has 173,000 students and is often regarded as one of the top state university systems in the nation:
  • UW Madison
  • UW Milwaukee
  • UW River Falls
  • UW Stout
  • UW Superior
  • UW Eau Claire
  • UW La Crosse
  • UW Stevens Point
  • UW Green Bay
  • UW Oshkosh
  • UW Parkside
  • UW Platteville
  • UW Whitewater

Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
I would also second a vote for Wisconsin as well as Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City