Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times

Advertisements

I agree. If Raleigh were to build rail transit, the enormous TOD that occured in Northern Virginia would not occur just because of the trains. Obviously, TOD will occur, as it does everywhere, but to the degree of NoVA? I doubt it.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
True, but my point is that it isn't easy for a metro of just over 1 million to start up rail transit. Look how long it took Charlotte to get its system up and running, and it's only the one line - and Charlotte is twice Raleigh's size/density. NOVA has transit and transit-oriented development because it's part of D.C.
Well, in the case of Raleigh, you've got to think regionally. Yes, it is technically its own MSA, but its economy is very regional in nature; Raleigh is the largest city in the region, yet the largest employment center, RTP, is located next door in Durham County. The Triangle has a population of 1.69 million, which is practically the same size as the Charlotte MSA (and the Hampton Roads area, which is also getting light rail), and it's growing faster. What that region is missing more than anything is the political will, not really the numbers.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well, in the case of Raleigh, you've got to think regionally. Yes, it is technically its own MSA, but its economy is very regional in nature. The Triangle has a population of 1.69 million, which is practically the same size as the Charlotte MSA, and it's growing faster. What that region is missing more than anything is the political will, not really the numbers.
Yes, the politics become very important in developing rail transit...but the numbers are very important too. It's ultra-important to have a certain density in enough areas to warrant rail transit. So it's not just raw numbers that matter, but moreso density that matters.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Quote:
Yes, the politics become very important in developing rail transit...but the numbers are very important too. It's ultra-important to have a certain density in enough areas to warrant rail transit. So it's not just raw numbers that matter, but moreso density that matters.

Guess what Deacon!? Norfolk has 4500/sq. mile.

Just kidding with you.

IS traffic in Raleigh bad,though? Do they even need rail?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. My only point is that I hope that future development patterns have the Triangle looking more like Ballston-Rosslyn with rail-based transit and TOD and less like Tysons Corner. I understand that those areas are located within Greater DC, but I'm hoping that the Triangle region is visionary enough to plan for it now and truly work to make it happen when the time is right, and that time will be very soon, if not now.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. My only point is that I hope that future development patterns have the Triangle looking more like Ballston-Rosslyn with rail-based transit and TOD and less like Tysons Corner. I understand that those areas are located within Greater DC, but I'm hoping that the Triangle region is visionary enough to plan for it now and truly work to make it happen when the time is right, and that time will be very soon, if not now.
The vision is already in place...it's the funding that isn't.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The vision is already in place...it's the funding that isn't.
Well then, good. When the funding materializes, this will put the Triangle on the road to resembling Ballston-Rosslyn moreso than Tysons Corner.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Well then, good. When the funding materializes, this will put the Triangle on the road to resembling Ballston-Rosslyn moreso than Tysons Corner.
Capital Boulevard route central to Raleigh transit - Triangle Business Journal:#

Current Tax Issues in Wake County: Wake County Taxpayers Association (WCTA), Raleigh North Carolina

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
True, but my point is that it isn't easy for a metro of just over 1 million to start up rail transit. Look how long it took Charlotte to get its system up and running, and it's only the one line - and Charlotte is twice Raleigh's size/density. NOVA has transit and transit-oriented development because it's part of D.C.
Well, first of all, we have the US Census Bureau working against us. In the early part of this decade, the Census Bureau split Raleigh/Cary fom Durham/Chapel Hill. To me, this is ridiculous. With the area sharing its main employment center (RTP), its airport, many residents of the (now) two metros cross from one to the other on a daily basis. This split has caused the area to suffer visibility it might have had for funding if it were one metro of over 1.7 million people. But, as it stands, it's two metros with the Raleigh/Cary side carrying about 1.1 million of that total. Raleigh/Cary will reach 1.7 in the not too distant future but, even then, that will woefully underestimate the total CSA population at that time. So, until the Bureau has the sense to re-unite the metros, it will remain an obstacle.
As a point of clarification, it might be interesting to know that within the city limits of both Raleigh and Cary, the density of population is greater than it is in the city limits of Charlotte. At about 400,000 in Raleigh with 140,000 immediately adjacent in Cary, the metro is becoming more and more dense as Wake County continues to be the fastest growing large county in the state. By 2012, Wake is projected to have crossed one million in population. It will do so before Mecklenburg due to 2 factors: size of the county and a faster growth rate. Some forcasts for Wake County project upwards of 1.5 Million in by 2020 with Raleigh pushing 600,000+. Interestingly, the history of projections for Raleigh have historically been low. So, it's not like the area isn't going to have either the density or population to make transit work.
Triangle leaders have been working on a rail plan for more than a decade that utilizes existing rail lines in the area. In the meantime, the city continues with infill projects that create more density in nodes throughout the city that are intended to be served by rail. Additionally, a descernable midtown area is emerging in North Hills just 3 miles from the city center. DT has taken huge strides in the last decade with increased housing and entertainment options for urban dwellers. New programs including free WiFi and a free hybrid downtown circulator bus that routes through DT's 5 named districts have commenced. This weekend, Raleigh opens its City Plaza in conjunction with the annual Raleigh Wide Open street festival.
New projects are on the boards or in the works. Included among them is the Green Square project expansion of the Science Museum (under construction) along with a host of new hotels and mixed use projects that are awaiting national resolution of the recession and freed up money from the banking industry. Until then, the city will continue to be one of the fastest growing places in the nation. We'll try to make good decisions until transit comes.
Green Square :: Developments :: Downtown Raleigh
The Edison, Downtown Raleigh | New Raleigh
Triangle Regional Rail Back on Track | New Raleigh

Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM

I wasn't bad-mouthing Raleigh...but just saying that it doesn't have the advantage of being part of Washington D.C.'s metro area like NOVA. To expect D.C. type things of Raleigh is just a little too much, IMO. I've visited Raleigh many times and I really like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City