Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times

Advertisements

These metros have are very similar in population, but Raliegh is obviously the faster growing of the two. Which one would you rather live in? Compare downtowns, quality of life, universities, transportation, urbanity, sports, cost of living, etc.

Photos removed by Moderator due to copyright issues.

Please READ the room stick photo posting guidelines before posting here. Thank you:
What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Great pics, by the way. Having lived in VAB and having done tons of research of relocating to Raleigh, I'd give the slight nudge to Raleigh. Cost of living seems better in Raleigh and there is no competion in sports. I love the ocean of VAB, but it's not too far from Raleigh. Crime doesn't appear to be a huge concern for either city. Downtown, you'd have to go to Norfolk as VAB doesn't really have one. Universities, again to Raleigh. One big thing in VAB's favor, though, is a neaby amusement park.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:35 PM

The thing wasnt' Raleighvs Virginia beach.It's the metro vs. the metro of each city.

Yeah COL is better in Raleigh. Sports too because of the NHL. Norfolk does have the AHL and MiLB (AAA). I will go with Norfolk for the dwntown. Universities is going to Raleigh, although Virginia Beach-Norfolk has William & Mary, ODU, NSU, HU, etc..

Overall though, with the water and everything, it's going to VB-NORFOLK-NN

Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
While I know that Raleigh and Durham are now separate MSAs, a better and more accurate comparison would be region-to-region, the Triangle vs Hampton Roads, instead of MSA to MSA.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
While I know that Raleigh and Durham are now separate MSAs, a better and more accurate comparison would be region-to-region, the Triangle vs Hampton Roads, instead of MSA to MSA.
Fine with me.. That means HR streches from Williamsbug to Virginia Beach and the Triangle from Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
As far as the criteria of this thread: Compare downtowns, quality of life, universities, transportation, urbanity, sports, cost of living, etc.

• Downtowns: It's been a while since I've experienced the downtowns of any of the cities in the regions, so it's hard to say.

• Quality of life: Subjective, also hard to say

• Universities: No question, the Triangle

• Transportation: Hampton Roads, since they're getting light rail

• Urbanity: I'll probably have to give the edge to Hampton Roads since it's getting mass transit

• Sports: The Triangle. It has major league hockey (Carolina Hurricanes) and, of course, great college basketball (Tarheels, Blue Devils, Wolfpack)

• Cost of living: I'm sure that could be looked up.

I could live in either one, but I'd opt for the Triangle since it has an abundance of science and technology-related jobs, which is my field.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 10-17-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Raleigh...by far. It just has more going for it, including things like Research Triangle Park and being the capital of North Carolina...in addition to the already mentioned advantages.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Raleigh...by far. It just has more going for it, including things like Research Triangle Park and being the capital of North Carolina...in addition to the already mentioned advantages.
hmm.. what does "has more going for it" have to do with urbanity, vibrant downtown, alternative transportation, quality of life, education, etc.? Because Raleigh is a scientific/research/technological powerhouse that makes it a better place to live?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
hmm.. what does "has more going for it" have to do with urbanity, vibrant downtown, alternative transportation, quality of life, education, etc.? Because Raleigh is a scientific/research/technological powerhouse that makes it a better place to live?
This isn't one of those "What do you think, but whatever it is - it's wrong" kind of threads is it? That's what it looks like...

I didn't say anything of the sort...I gave my opinion and added some reasons that hadn't yet been mentioned. Those were in addition to the several items mentioned in previous posts. "Raleigh has more going for it" means that I believe that Raleigh excels above Norfolk in most categories and in quality of life. End of story.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
The thing wasnt' Raleighvs Virginia beach.It's the metro vs. the metro of each city.

Yeah COL is better in Raleigh. Sports too because of the NHL. Norfolk does have the AHL and MiLB (AAA). I will go with Norfolk for the dwntown. Universities is going to Raleigh, although Virginia Beach-Norfolk has William & Mary, ODU, NSU, HU, etc..

Overall though, with the water and everything, it's going to VB-NORFOLK-NN
Raleigh has AAA baseball too...the Durham Bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City