Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
I will give New York hiphop true enough they were freestyling in jamica before long before nyc got hip to it...but nyc created the culture..its undeniable because honestly other cities putting out artist are doing a lousy job of holding up standards
"Freestyling" is basically an African tradition all over the African Diaspora.This style came from what slaves developed in the American South called their version of "call and response" which was rooted in the Christian church.

Quote:
It is this tradition that African bondsmen and women have transmitted over the years in various forms of expression — in religious observance; public gatherings; even in children's rhymes; and, most notably, in black music in its multiple forms: gospel, blues, rhythm and blues, jazz and jazz extensios, hip-hop and go-go

Call and response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Call and response (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One example in Blues.1942

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk

Yes NYC did create the culture but they also ruined hip-hop long before the crap that is currently being played.Otherwise NYC would have never lost control in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
"Freestyling" is basically an African tradition all over the African Diaspora.This style came from what slaves developed in the American South called their version of "call and response" which was rooted in the Christian church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk

Yes NYC did create the culture but they also ruined hip-hop long before the crap that is currently being played.Otherwise NYC would have never lost control in the first place.
oh $*** those are fighting words. Those NYers are going to go crazy

Note: 2010 will be a west coast & mid-west takeover

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh wow. That's an impressive list. I'm a HUGE Bob Dylan fan BTW. I think saying he got his start in Minneapolis might be a stretch. He's from Duluth and went to college some where in Minnesota for like two years (I'm assuming somewhere in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area).
Robert Zimmerman lived in Dinkytown, which is a neighborhood located on the north side of the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis. This is where he started to perform and refer to himself as Bob Dylan. His song "Positively 4th Street" is named after Dinkytown.

Quote:
I thought Brother Ali was from Madison, WI?
He was born in Madison, but he and his family moved to Minneapolis in the early 90s.

Quote:
I didn't know about Minneapolis's radio station. I know Cincinnati has a really good one as well. I can't remember what it's called, but I have their pod cast in my iTunes.
Are you referring to WOXY? I'm pretty sure the station moved from Cinci to Austin.

Quote:
The Black Angels and Ghostland Observatory are two of my favorite Austin bands as well. I think the next big bands to come out of Austin will be White Denim and The Black Joe Lewis. I would recommend checking them out if you haven't already.
I dig White Denim. I saw them open for Tapes 'n Tapes at First Avenue. I've heard Black Joe Lewis, but have yet to see him live.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
oh $*** those are fighting words. Those NYers are going to go crazy

Note: 2010 will be a west coast & mid-west takeover
Maybe so,but truth hurts!LOL.They just looking for some one to blame because they got lame.That said I actually like old school stuff versus today.But that ain't what people want to listen to anymore.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Robert Zimmerman lived in Dinkytown, which is a neighborhood located on the north side of the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis. This is where he started to perform and refer to himself as Bob Dylan. His song "Positively 4th Street" is named after Dinkytown.

He was born in Madison, but he and his family moved to Minneapolis in the early 90s.

Are you referring to WOXY? I'm pretty sure the station moved from Cinci to Austin.

I dig White Denim. I saw them open for Tapes 'n Tapes at First Avenue. I've heard Black Joe Lewis, but have yet to see him live.
I've always heard he was "from" Duluth. Maybe he was born in Duluth but grew up in Dinkytown? If that where the case, I would agree with that argument. My extensive knowledge about Dylan (aka Robert Zimmerman) starts around the time he moved to New York. I'm a little fuzzy on the facts before that. I didn't know that "Positively 4th Street" was about Dinkytown. That's a random fact I'll have to remember.

That's the station that I was thinking of, WOXY. I didn't know they moved from Cincinnati to Austin. I'm happy for Austin and I guess that's just one more case for Austin on this thread, but WOXY was one thing that the Cinci music scene really had going for it.

Black Joe Lewis is a blues band that reminds me of the Blues Brothers (as in the movie). Their getting pretty big in Texas and building a good national reputation. I saw the Black Joe Lewis at Fun Fest. They showed up on stage completely dressed in Star Track uniforms. They where the best band at the festival that year IMO. White Denim is a very good band. One of my favorite from Texas.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Um no new york didn't ruin hip hop....it was this krunk snap and pop rap that's ruining the culture...people honestly can't rap that didn't start in new york

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Now not to say ny hasn't had it's share of wack artist but they didn't ruin it

Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

YouTube - Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher (1942)

New york created the culture and the music

LOL nobody was freestyling in jamaica or africa lets be serious. Something similar maybe but not rapping lol. Like jay-z-ll cool j rapping lol

Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Um no new york didn't ruin hip hop....it was this krunk snap and pop rap that's ruining the culture...people honestly can't rap that didn't start in new york
Hip Hop was already dieing before the south even go to it; we just put it out of its misery! Diddy took the first stab.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Now not to say ny hasn't had it's share of wack artist but they didn't ruin it
Not by themselves but to point ONE finger in a direction is not truthful either.It definitely contributed to its ruin."Ruin" is relative,but generally speaking,if something becomes old and outdated then its ruined.In the case of NYC and hip hop,people were tired of the same thing over and over.It became monotonous.Much like it is today.Eventually its gonna die off or change to something else.Currently it has not died but has languished.The state of the music today is a reflection of what happens when mediocrity is accepted.You may call what is going on today as what "ruined" Hip-Hop,but what is out of there today is a direct descendant of what was.Things change gradually,they just don't say "POOF" there it is.

As far as "the snap,pop,crunk" that was never the problem.Now if you are talking lyricism that is another story.The whole culture that promoted Hip Hop and lyricism the way it used to be has gone.We will never see a Tu-Pac,Biggie,KRS,Rakhim or even a NAS and Jay-Z again.

Yet imagine if there was no "crunk or snap,or pop"?Hip Hop would be DEAD would with NO-ONE capable of bringing it back.Jay-Z who many consider the best in the game overall right now can barley keep up with Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane in sales.

I noticed how all these rapppers from NYC are coming back trying to promote their sound.Fabulous,NAS,Jay-Z.All seemingly coming out on top of each other with SONGS which hails NYC as the "KING".
Used to be that everyone was feeling that and wanted to be apart of that NYC culture.Things have changed.People today ,like they did even back then, want to hear more from almost anywhere but NYC.(Not literally).
Even when the South was putting on some good stuff in the mid 1990's,,they got very minimal play.Only a couple of groups made it through.Like Goodie Mob,Outkast,Ghetto Boys.So its not like the South or other places were not doing good stuff too.

You have a large segment of black people(mostly those older than 50y/o) who think music is dead because of hip hop influence on R&B.They think its "ruined" R&B.Are they right too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City