U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,448,801 times
Reputation: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
EXACTLY.

So, the toal score of all those restaurants is 9 for New Orleans and 21 Brooklyn.

The whole metro area of New Orleans has 1,179,459. Whereas, Brooklyn by itself has 2,556,598.

Not to mention its in a city of 8.3 million.

Thanks for proving my point even further.
What point? You never made one.

Quote:
Then that means there are double that amouint where you live
^ If that's the point, then it was proven wrong.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,616 posts, read 8,819,409 times
Reputation: 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Are you serious?

That stuff is what they put in front of people to eat on the show called Fear Factor. I wouldn't eat that crap if it was free.
Yeah they're opening up one in East Rutherford soon, they're inching closer and closer lol. I ate at one in Orlando and I loved it, and it was all you can eat for $4.95 per person too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM
 
307 posts, read 38,968 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What point? You never made one.



^ If that's the point, then it was proven wrong.
My point is that the south is dominated with crappy italian food.

let's run to the Olive Garden for those all you can eat breadsticks and salad.

Also, we can get some spaghetti with real RAGU sauce.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 2,297,292 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Yes, there is........ and it ticks me off. Times Square is nothing, but chains for the tourist.

They tried to bring the first Wal Mart to Manhattan, but we turned it down. HELL NO.

I would refuse to shop there.
The same thing is happening to Austin. I don't know if you've heard of "Keep Austin Weird," but the whole purpose of the slogan is to support small and local business and keep the city unique. Now, downtown every coffee shop is either a Starbucks or a cheese European chain coffee shop. What's worse is all of these chains try to create an "indie" or local business vibe to try and fit the downtown Austin atmosphere which is lame. There's nothing independent or unique about a corporation buying out a local business and discizing it with their impression of the cities atmosphere. It's phony and lame. So I can see where New Yorkers are coming form.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,950 posts, read 8,674,350 times
Reputation: 4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
My point is that the south is dominated with crappy italian food.

let's run to the Olive Garden for those all you can eat breadsticks and sald.
In Little Rock, Arkansas, people actually dress up to go to Olive Garden because there it is a formal occasion. People there have no idea about real Italian food.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 11,964,061 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
The same thing is happening to Austin. I don't know if you've heard of "Keep Austin Weird," but the whole purpose of the slogan is to support small and local business and keep the city unique. Now, downtown every coffee shop is either a Starbucks or a cheese European chain coffee shop. What's worse is all of these chains try to create an "indie" or local business vibe to try and fit the downtown Austin atmosphere which is lame. There's nothing independent or unique about a corporation buying out a local business and discizing it with their impression of the cities atmosphere. It's phony and lame. So I can see where New Yorkers are coming form.
A Wal Mart just opened recently in the city of Atlanta...the first one. They aren't generally located in cities - but in the suburbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 PM
 
307 posts, read 38,968 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In Little Rock, Arkansas, people actually dress up to go to Olive Garden because there it is a formal occasion. People there have no idea about real Italian food.
Oh Yeah!

Give me those all you can eat breadsticks and salad.

GET IN MY BELLY. I want to make sure I get my money worth. LMFAO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,448,801 times
Reputation: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
My point is that the south is dominated with crappy italian food.

let's run to the Olive Garden for those all you can eat breadsticks and sald.
Not in New Orleans. I think we have highest sicilian/italian population in the southeast. I'm not sure, but it's close, you go look it up. Stop trying to lump the south into one giant category. What they do in GA is what they do in GA, same with TX, NC, FL, LA and any other state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 11,964,061 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Not in New Orleans. I think we have highest sicilian/italian population in the southeast. I'm not sure, but it's close, you go look it up. Stop trying to lump the south into one giant category. What they do in GA is what they do in GA, same with TX, NC, FL, LA and any other state.
It's not that way in any large city...everyone knows that. Small towns don't have as many amenities, therefore people there may think more of chain restaurants - no matter if it's in the South or the Northeast or wherever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
 
786 posts, read 864,569 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
EXACTLY.

So, the toal score of all those restaurants is 9 for New Orleans and 21 Brooklyn.

The whole metro area of New Orleans has 1,179,459. Whereas, Brooklyn by itself has 2,556,598.

Not to mention its in a city of 8.3 million.

Thanks for proving my point even further.

LOL...this data shows that there are more of these restaurants per capita in Brooklyn.


Or was that your point?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top