Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better scenery?
Los Angeles 263 75.79%
Chicago 84 24.21%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM

7,740 posts, read 6,533,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
But are inland areas of Los Angeles really dry, dusty and ugly? i took these pics of LA not on the coast.

Those are some nice pictures, nicer than some of the areas I saw off the freeway on my way to Hollywood from Pasadena... but, being from the east, I can tell a very very stark difference between the foliage in LA, and the foliage in the Midwest or South. Look how dark those leaves are. They look dry and parched. Here in Minnesota, during late spring, summer and early fall, things are SUPER verdant and green. There's a lushness that southern California can't compete with. Oregon and Washington, yea, but not southern California. I imagine the foliage in Chicago to be the same in this regard. The types of trees make a difference, too. My favourite tree is the northern catalpa. Not sure if it can grow in California, I know it does in North Texas (which is more rainy and humid in comparison) but they grow like weeds in the Midwest. Lets not forget sugar maples which have the most vibrant fall colours. I've been to LA in the fall, the only "colour" was some really sick looking maple trees with a dull brown foliage. Now to LA's credit, where the scenery stands out to me is anywhere with palm trees against a mountain or ocean backdrop, or better yet, a combination of both. But I personally prefer a homier, greener vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 PM

37,347 posts, read 39,777,465 times
For me, there is no better urban scenery in LA or the entire US better than the Chicago River running downtown or Ohio Street Beach

Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,401,338 times
Los Angeles is leading as of today 206 to 70.
I'm sure Chicago can catch up one day in the future. Just sending thoughts and prayers.

Edit :

Oops I forgot to vote. 207 to 70

Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 PM

306 posts, read 482,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I think Downtown San Jose has whatever Downtown Chi has, except for the lake/river and relatively tall towers. Otherwise, Downtown SJ is just as dynamic as Downtown Chicago with its very dense urban feel with lots of things to do. Downtown SJ is on fire of lately and has nothing to do with Google, which is coming downtown in the next few years. They better start having a huge building boom in the heart of Downtown Chi or other cities will pass it by very soon.

Agreed Topper! After San Jose overtakes Chicago in skyline, Jacksonville, Florida will soon be larger than NYC/Toronto Combined in 10 years!

Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,917,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Agreed Topper! After San Jose overtakes Chicago in skyline, Jacksonville, Florida will soon be larger than NYC/Toronto Combined in 10 years!
LOL....makes sense, to me.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 PM

4,086 posts, read 3,270,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For me, there is no better urban scenery in LA or the entire US better than the Chicago River running downtown or Ohio Street Beach
Of course I agree and having a Core on a waterfront of Parks, ALL Public beaches and Harbors .... deserves credit too. But no one needs to mock the other city like some.
Pictures help prove it for the river alone .... and its CANYON OF SKYSCRAPERS from every era of them.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-16-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 PM

142 posts, read 117,531 times
Depends. Better urban scene Chicago by a mile. Better natural scenery LA by a mile.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:36 AM

256 posts, read 154,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Mike View Post
Depends. Better urban scene Chicago by a mile. Better natural scenery LA by a mile.
Never been to either city but my opinion exactly. The mountain backdrop in LA is stunning (in my opinion), but Chicago's cityscape is superior. I voted LA just because the title says "scenery", and "scenery" makes me think natural.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,402,926 times
I find the Chicago skyline from the lake fairly bland.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,944,706 times
Chicago needs prettier and more distinctive high rises to grace the lake. I also think Downtown Chi's skyline is way outdated, especially compared to NY and host of international cities. That may elevate Chicago's scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City