Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM

188 posts, read 477,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
It's kind of cool he chose to get his degree in Columbia than in Harvard, kind of forgetting all the great Chicagoland education institutions.
Anyways, many places can calim obama including Hawaii, New York, Chicago, Boston and DC. Of course for Chicago is hard to find reason to gloat so you kind of cling to whatever you can find, hence the other poster claim that Chicago is Obama's birthplace.

PS. By the way, let's see how his presidency plays out. he hasn't achieved much yet and you may be regretting those claims if anything goes wrong...
Yet again your show your lack of knowledge. Ever heard of UIC. University of Illinois Chicago. They have/had a professor there that created a crucial formula for valuing stocks. He won a pulitzer prize they dont hand that stuff out. Secondly Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management turns out more CEOs than any other college. Shut your mouth on topics you dont have any facts on, or the slightest clue

Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
He's like 17, go easy on him. He's just a liar, that's all.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
For one, I have actually lived in Chicago and only visited NYC several times... I love Chicago, but I'm not delusional either.

Chicago may "have" similar activities, so do other cities... NYC just does it better. And I know the scale you are referring to, Chicago is *not* in it.

NYC for one IS 3x bigger, that is a big difference.
NYC has Wall Street (NYSE, NASDAQ) which dwarfs the Chicago Stock Exchange and Mercantile Exchange
NYC has United Nations, no comparison in Chicago.
NYC has Broadway which dwarfs Chicagos theater district
NYC has FAR more art museums.
NYC has FAR more fashion influence.
Chicago may claim house, but the club scene in NYC is leaps and bounds above Chicago.
NYC has FAR more history.
Better mass transit

I stick with original statement, NYC is GLOBAL leader in many of these categories, Chicago isn't even 2nd in the US in many (see LA and Houston), much less even CLOSE to NYC.

From your ratings...it is actually this.

Global Cities[5]
Well rounded global cities
  1. Very large contribution: London and New York City Smaller contribution and with cultural bias: Los Angeles, Paris, and San Francisco
  2. Incipient global cities: Amsterdam, Boston, Chicago, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Toronto

Rank City Best category (position in that category) 1 New York City Business Activity and Human Capital (1st) 2 London Cultural Experience (1st) 3 Paris Information Exchange (1st) 4 Tokyo Business Activity (2nd) 5 Hong Kong Business Activity and Human Capital (5th) 6 Los Angeles Human Capital (4th) 7 Singapore Business Activity (6th) 8 Chicago Human Capital (3rd)
Im going to lump you in with the shall i say fool above. Wall Street and the CME are two different things. Chicago sells options and futures. NASDAQ is an automated broker exchange program. You might see a NASDAQ light in a time square window, which obviously works because you bought it, but its on the internet. Those stock brokers exchange from their homes in boxers. Who cares about the UN all it does is create traffic jams and security issues, so you guys can keep that. Who cares about the club scene?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Not you lucas im talking about the infamous dementor

Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
I know- I'm saying he's 17 and a liar. Don't take him seriously.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 PM

How can you im finding a lot of these NYC dwellers (not all) seem to find any "category" that NYC is 1st in and bring it up. Like i care if New York has a good club scene, most people that live in the city work, therefore go out once maybe twice a week. Chicago not having the UN doesnt bother me one bit, NYC folk act as if they get to shake hands with all these dignitaries, wrong. Lastly id like to know where grapico got his facts. CHICAGO IS INCIPIENT and SAN FRAN is a global leader. HA. Thanks for the good laugh. San Fran has alcatraz thats about it. Children when you get to college you will learn wikipedia is not a valid source

Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index

The 2008 Global Cities Index

Quote:
So, Foreign Policy teamed up with A.T. Kearney *ahem* and The Chicago Council on Global Affairs *ahem* to create the Global Cities Index, a uniquely comprehensive ranking of the ways in which cities are integrating with the rest of the world.

In constructing this index of the world’s most global cities, we have collected and analyzed a broad array of data, as well as tapped the brainpower of such renowned cities experts as Saskia Sassen, Witold Rybczynski, Janet Abu-Lughod, and Peter Taylor.
Chicago scored so poorly. New York at #1 of course.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
New York wallops Chicago no matter what list.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
New York wallops Chicago no matter what list.
lots of Chicago bias here... pretty much all my posts they agree on lol, but seem to think its invalid and who cares, lets get an italian beef and shop at macys! then completely disregard the same stuff they claimed Chicago was good for, but then NYC is MUCH better at it and world class, then all of a sudden it doesn't matter anymore... WOW

you guys are delusional, maybe just the winter there and nothing else to do right now.
need to start comparing Chicago with Indianapolis, b/c that is kind of what your doing with NYC to Chicago...I could claim Indianapolis is doing everything Chicago is doing...albeit on a much smaller scale... could do the same with Atlanta, Dallas, etc...
this is the same with nyc
you are not grasping global, national and regional influence as what these cities do, not what they offer to an average citizen living in them.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Yet again your show your lack of knowledge. Ever heard of UIC. University of Illinois Chicago. They have/had a professor there that created a crucial formula for valuing stocks. He won a pulitzer prize they dont hand that stuff out.
Pulitzer? Not unless he published his discovery in New York Times... The caliber of Chicago apologetists in this forum is simply astounding

Last edited by dementor; 02-23-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City