Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM

320 posts, read 717,543 times

Advertisements

New York is way bigger, way more people, way more diverse, more crowded, a much larger subway or EL, longer skyline, more skyscrappers more theaters, restaurants, nightlife, history, museums, beaches, shopping, attractions, entertainment, media, sports, embassies, fortune 500 and 1000 companies, worldwide organizations, a lot less segregated its much much older and a located on the East Coast which is waaaay better than the Midwest.

New York also has higher rent, property values, taxes, no alleys, narrower streets, way more traffic and congestion, not as friendly, more blizzards, hotter in the summer, more garbage on the streets, less open space, confusing street grid, more noise and much more expensive.

Chicago on the other hand has just about everything New York has, but less. It is also cheaper, lower property values, rent and taxes, it has allies, wider roads and boulevards, less traffic and congestion, a little more friendlier, not as cold and less blizzards, a little cooler in the summer, less garbage on the streets, more open space, superior street grid, lesser noise and a lot less expensive. However, Chicago is a little more segregated despite its diversity. Despite what people think, the city is located in the Midwest and straddles the dairy belt to its north and the corn, wheat belt to its south, the cattle belt to its west and the goods coming from its east. Its located in a perfect location of the country.

They don't call Chicago the "Second City" for nothing. It is truly a miniature New York, but it's still a very big city in its own right and clearly has its advantages over the Big Apple. If you like the hustle and bustle of a major urban city then Chicago and New York are for you. If you want the amenities of New York, but more bang for your buck, then Chicago is for you.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times
If you wanna die a horrible feezing death than chicago is for you.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
ard man. I was actually trynna give it props by comparin it to Philly. But nevamind, like you said it's some big, wierd midwestern thing.
My mom is from Chicago and my dad's family is from Philly (many still there). I have experience with both cities, and I love them both. They are nothing alike in any way. Chicago is also much much much larger in almost every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
New York also has higher rent, property values, taxes, no alleys, narrower streets, way more traffic and congestion, not as friendly, more blizzards, hotter in the summer, more garbage on the streets, less open space, confusing street grid, more noise and much more expensive.

Chicago on the other hand has just about everything New York has, but less. It is also cheaper, lower property values, rent and taxes, it has allies, wider roads and boulevards, less traffic and congestion, a little more friendlier, not as cold and less blizzards, a little cooler in the summer, less garbage on the streets, more open space, superior street grid, lesser noise and a lot less expensive. However, Chicago is a little more segregated despite its diversity. Despite what people think, the city is located in the Midwest and straddles the dairy belt to its north and the corn, wheat belt to its south, the cattle belt to its west and the goods coming from its east. Its located in a perfect location of the country.

They don't call Chicago the "Second City" for nothing. It is truly a miniature New York, but it's still a very big city in its own right and clearly has its advantages over the Big Apple. If you like the hustle and bustle of a major urban city then Chicago and New York are for you. If you want the amenities of New York, but more bang for your buck, then Chicago is for you.

Pretty good analysis, though I have to correct you about the weather. Chicago is on another level of cold than New York and receives far far far more snowfall every year. Chicago weather is more akin to Buffalo weather (think lake effect snow and colder temps...New York at least has highs above freezing and its climate is moderated by the Gulf Stream).

It's hard to like one city more than the other unless you have lived in each for at least a couple years and can really compare. I, unfortunately, can't do that, though I have plenty of quality experience with both. First white Christmas was in Chicago (it was close to 2 feet, which is normal there) and being from FL, we just went to New York to shop, eat, and go to museums (but have done that in both cities).

Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I'll have to correct you also. Chicago doesn't really get much lake effect snow. Certainly nothing like Buffalo or even Cleveland for that matter. It is colder than NYC though. The cities on the east side of the great lakes get the lake effect.

2 feet of snow is not normal in Chicago. Chicago has had 2 feet of snow once on record since 1886 and only 5 times over 1 foot...Maybe you have it confused with some other city.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,729 times
Hmmm, then that's weird. I wonder why I have trudged through 2 ft of snow in my aunt/uncle's yard a few times? I'm not talking in one day or night's snow event (though it can seem like it). My aunt and uncle live on the North Shore (north of Evanston) and I have a cousin in Wayne and a cousin near St. Charles. Maybe I was wrong about lake effect snow (I have been to Buffalo to experience that!), but a few days of snow in Chicago will easily put a couple feet on the ground, and snow stays on the ground for a lonnnnggggg time in Chicago. It's hard to deny that.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Hmmm, then that's weird. I wonder why I have trudged through 2 ft of snow in my aunt/uncle's yard a few times? I'm not talking in one day or night's snow event (though it can seem like it). My aunt and uncle live on the North Shore (north of Evanston) and I have a cousin in Wayne and a cousin near St. Charles. Maybe I was wrong about lake effect snow (I have been to Buffalo to experience that!), but a few days of snow in Chicago will easily put a couple feet on the ground, and snow stays on the ground for a lonnnnggggg time in Chicago. It's hard to deny that.
Yeah it is possible that it builds up for that long without melting, I was referring to a massive snow storm dump like say New England gets. They do get more snow though the farther north you go up there. There hasn't been snow onthe ground for the last week here... that will change sometime tonight or tomorrow though lol.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Why hate places? It's America, you have the ability to get on the plane and go anywhere you want in this country and see everything and know its in your country, your country. Seattle is just as much your city as it is someone else's city, Philadelphia is just as much my city as it is your city. That's what our country is, its a open market and its an amazing collection of diverse and unique cities.

What's there to hate on? It's all America, its all good.
America is so big that we try to emulate europe in this aspect. We attach to our states/cities like europeans attach to their countries. America is too big, a person from iowa might aswell be in a different country than someone from philly or LA. Thats why the whole unified USA thing never works out

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Um, is this Chicago Public Schools "New Math"?

NYC has 6 times as many tall buildings as Chicago. Obviously it has more tall buildings than Chicago.

Except that's not what you said. You said NYC has "taller" buildings than Chicago, not "more tall buildings" than Chicago. Two entirely different concepts.

And what you said is what I was replying to.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
ard man. I was actually trynna give it props by comparin it to Philly. But nevamind, like you said it's some big, wierd midwestern thing.
Whatever Chicago is, it's a lot better than Philadelphia.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'll have to correct you also. Chicago doesn't really get much lake effect snow. Certainly nothing like Buffalo or even Cleveland for that matter. It is colder than NYC though. The cities on the east side of the great lakes get the lake effect.

2 feet of snow is not normal in Chicago. Chicago has had 2 feet of snow once on record since 1886 and only 5 times over 1 foot...Maybe you have it confused with some other city.
Yeah, what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City