Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More active/entertaining CBD:
Philadelphia 44 42.72%
San Francisco 59 57.28%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes but why surrender your city's heart to them and force the affluent to flee to suburbia? SF actually offers more for both demographics.
...and this is the logic the continues to make San Francisco unaffordable and pricing out people of lesser means. In fact, SF is LAST in housing affordability in SustainLane's ranking of 50 cities. You can argue that's because SF is so desirable, yet the fact of the matter is that when housing become so unaffordable that newcomers/recent graduates can't afford it, you're going to start to push away that edgy/artsy/creative/innovative crowd. People aren't millionaires right out of college, and SF is by no means a "break into" market.

Wealth stratification is NOT a good thing. It's no question that Philadelphia offers much more of a balance of social classes than SF. The fact that Philadelphia is so much farther ahead than SF in terms of housing affordability will continue to play to its favor; it has ENORMOUS value.

Housing Affordability - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:37 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Many of the wealthiest neighborhoods in any metro area are usually located in the heart of the city. San Francisco: Nob Hill, Boston: Beacon Hill, Back Bay; New York City: Greenwich Village, Chelsea; DC: Georgetown. Maybe some of the Philly members can help me out with some of the wealthy inner-city neighborhoods?
Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and Washington Square are the most notable. Although, as I noted earlier, you find a really nice mix of social classes overall in DT Philadelphia. I'm not entirely sure why 18Montclair makes that out to be a negative attribute -- especially considering SF always poses to be a very politically progressive place.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
...and this is the logic the continues to make San Francisco unaffordable and pricing out people of lesser means. In fact, SF is LAST in housing affordability in SustainLane's ranking of 50 cities. You can argue that's because SF is so desirable, yet the fact of the matter is that when housing become so unaffordable that newcomers/recent graduates can't afford it, you're going to start to push away that edgy/artsy/creative/innovative crowd. People aren't millionaires right out of college, and SF is by no means a "break into" market.

Wealth stratification is NOT a good thing. It's no question that Philadelphia offers much more of a balance of social classes than SF. The fact that Philadelphia is so much farther ahead than SF in terms of housing affordability will continue to play to its favor; it has ENORMOUS value.

Housing Affordability - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com
Yes, its expensive, but SF is no different from Manhattan in that respect, in fact Manhattan is even more expensive than SF.

The difference is, SF is small and people who are looking to 'break into' the market usually opt for the East Bay or northern Peninsula.

Not really a big issue.

Furthermore, despite its cost of living, SF is one of the top cities on the radar of recent college grads and immigrants.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and Washington Square are the most notable. Although, as I noted earlier, you find a really nice mix of social classes overall in DT Philadelphia. I'm not entirely sure why 18Montclair makes that out to be a negative attribute -- especially considering SF always poses to be a very politically progressive place.
Well, Im hugely pro-business and very pro-development.

Are there really any solidly middle class areas of Downtown Philadelphia?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
Quote:
Well, Im hugely pro-business and very pro-development.

Are there really any solidly middle class areas of Downtown Philadelphia?
where i live

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
where i live

If there are solidly middle class areas that are safe and NOT super expensive in DT Philadelphia, then Im impressed.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

If there are solidly middle class areas that are safe and NOT super expensive in DT Philadelphia, then Im impressed.
well, although QV is good balance of middle class w/some upper middle. it has a seedy section with section 8 housing (not saying all section 8 is seedy, but this particular area is). so, it varies street by street. although, 75% of it is safe, there is a danger element. i wouldn't stroll around alone late night.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
well, although qv is good balance of middle class w/some upper middle. It has a seedy section with section 8 housing (not saying all section 8 is seedy, but this particular area is). So, it varies street by street. Although, 80% of it is safe, there is a danger element. I wouldn't stroll around alone late night.
qv?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM

sorry, queen village - its the neighborhood just south of south street. it has some really nice homes, but the further south you go, the sketchier it gets. its the transition area between center city & south philly.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
sorry, queen village - its the neighborhood just south of south street. it has some really nice homes, but the further south you go, the sketchier it gets.
Okay, Queens Village

I am a really BIG fan of nice big city neighorhoods-especially close to downtown. Im even more a fan if they are middle class.

Developers(who are only looking out for their bottom line) seem to shut out families, more specifically middle class families, from the latest wave of highrise condo development that has swept the entire nation.

I loved that so many downtowns were reborn in the process, but I wish the focus were on entire families moving downtown and not just hipsters, yuppies and rich empty nesters.

Tons of 3-4 bd condos in the $200K range would have been awesome. But obviously never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City