Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More active/entertaining CBD:
Philadelphia 44 42.72%
San Francisco 59 57.28%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:36 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its just the nature of the two cities. They are just different.

White Households in Philadelphia earning $100,000+ 21,805
Minority Households in SF earning $100,000+ 32,631
Once again we have another 18M statistic with no links or citations of any kind to substantiate it. Why am I the only one who ever calls you on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There are a fair amount of upscale stores in DT Philly -- rainrock listed a few. I'm not saying it's on a level of SF
Well it has some upscale stores but so does many other Downtowns.

Quote:
1.) National Museum of Jewish American history is currently under construction:

NEW MUSEUM ON INDEPENDENCE MALL :: National Museum of American Jewish History

I can assure you that SF's pales in comparison.
And this is offset by Philadelphia's non-existent Asian Museum. Point for SF.

Quote:
2.) The fact that you're not even conceding history to Philadelphia in this discussion is extremely distorted. That you're comparing something like the gold rush to the significance of a city steeped in the founding of this country shows glaring West Coast bias.
Oh please. It must pain you to finally be told that your self perceived patent on historical significance is really only a part of a much bigger picture that makes up America.

What's even more ridiculous is claims of importance TODAY based on things that happened over 200 years ago.

Its a fact, the Gold Rush is probably the most significant event in the history of the Western US. It put the west on the map and caused a shift in power from the east that is still happening today.

And SF was the center of the Gold Rush. People flocked from all over the world at a time when Philly was actually starting to lose its hold on power.

Now I think SF is important historically because of things like the Gold Rush, but its still relevant in 2009 because of all the things that have occured since then. SF didnt just whither away, it only got better.

Quote:
3.) Ever hear of the Rodin museum -- largest collection outside of Paris? How about the under construction Barnes? Sorry, but again, you're pretty off base if you think SF has any sort of advantage on the arts front.
That is all small change compared to the Fisher Art Collection being donated to SFMOMA.

this AP Article from the LA Times(Also carried by the NYT) said the following:
Quote:
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art will house one of the world's great contemporary art collections after forming a partnership with Gap Inc. founders Don and Doris Fisher to house the couple's some 1,100 works.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6931146.story (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-museum-fisher-collection,0,6931146.story - broken link)

This is from artdaily.org
Quote:
Doris and Donald Fisher that would provide the Fisher Collection—one of the world's leading collections of contemporary art—with a home at SFMOMA.
http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?in...&int_new=33523

Here's a quote from Reuters:
Quote:
The agreement with the Fisher family represents a coup for the museum, elevating its profile among institutions around the world that house modern art.
http://www.reuters.com/article/artsN...58O73R20090925

Quote:

The New York Times said this in its Obit to Don Fisher:
Quote:
Fisher also served on the Boards of Trustees of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. This past week the museum announced plans to permanently house the Fisher Collection, one of the world's leading private collections of contemporary art, upon completion of its expansion.
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...ss-uk-gap.html

Quote:
4.) Immigration is irrelevant to this discussion.
Im not surprised you say this. Immigration has had much less of an impact on Philly than it has in SF.

Quote:
We're not talking about transit use, but transit availability.
And despite the perceived advantage in transit availability-which really is no the case at all, Philly still has less transit riders per capita.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
White Households in Philadelphia earning $100,000+ 21,805
Minority Households in SF earning $100,000+ 32,631

[/b][/u]
I'm not surprised by this statistic ( If it's actually true). San Francisco is the most overpriced city in the country. Of course that is only my opinion, but it boggles my mind that people have to pay so much to live in that city.

Back to taking about downtowns; The homeless problem in San Francisco's downtown is pretty sad. No where else in the US have I seen so many homeless and in such bad conditions physically. It's great that there's tons of stores where you can buy a $300 pair of jeans but the condition of many homeless downtown is quite deplorable.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Once again we have another 18M statistic with no links or citations of any kind to substantiate it. Why am I the only one who ever calls you on this?
All you have to do is go to American Factfinder Community Survey and look it up.

I welcome the scrutiny.

I can't link because its interactive and times out.

And your the only one who brings it up because you don't like the results.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm not surprised by this statistic ( If it's actually true).
More stats whose veracity you can ponder on...

Median Family Income, 2008

San Francisco City, CA $91,812
Philadelphia City, PA $46,363

Now, keep in mind Philadelphia is about 2x the size of SF.

Households Earning $200,000+, 2008
San Francisco, CA 45,805...14.1% of all households
Philadelphia, PA 10,192...1.7% of all households

Adults Age 25+ with a Master's, Professional or Doctoral Degree, 2008

San Francisco City, CA 130,332...20.7% of all adults age 25+
Philadelphia City, PA 83,942...9.0% of all adults age 25+

Million Dollar Homes, 2008
San Francisco City, CA 38,252...29.9% of all homes
Philadelphia City, PA 2,554...0.7% of all homes

The more one looks into the socio-economics of these 2 cities, the more evident it becomes that we are comparing two very different places.

Quote:
San Francisco is the most overpriced city in the country.
No different from any other desirable world city.

Quote:
Back to taking about downtowns; The homeless problem in San Francisco's downtown is pretty sad. No where else in the US have I seen so many homeless and in such bad conditions physically. It's great that there's tons of stores where you can buy a $300 pair of jeans but the condition of many homeless downtown is quite deplorable.
Well, reverse the old saying....
Ever silver cloud has a dark lining.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
Light a cigarrette once you get off embarcaderro Bart and see if you can make it one block with out a bum, crackhead, ghetto loser, asking you for a cig. You'll have said no to a royal rumbles worth of people by the time you make it to the warf. Bleh.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Again, those stats are meaningless considering how overpriced San Francisco is. You need much more disposable income to enjoy yourself than you do in Philadelphia. 30% of all homes are million dollar homes? I guess we know why the entire mortgage crisis effeced Ca in such a huge way and why there is such a discprepency between SF and Philly foreclosure rates. Philly housing prices have remained stable.

If this recession has taught us anything, it's that people need to live within their means and in that regard Philly is poised for a greater future than SF.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
More stats whose veracity you can ponder on...

Median Family Income, 2008

San Francisco City, CA $91,812
Philadelphia City, PA $46,363

This looks like pure fantasy on the posters behalf. The wealthiest suburban counties in the US only have median Household incomes is $100,000. You expect to roll out an Urban CITY of 770,000 people having a median household income of $91,000? Not on my watch.

San Francisco (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Census Bureau (2007 est)has SF County at $67,333(2007). SF City at $55,221(1999). Now thats very impressive for a city but its a far cry from $91,000.

Meanwhile Philadephia has 6 suburban counties with household median Incomes greater than SF County, those 6 counties in large part patronizes Center City which is the point of this thread, which is getting off track as per usual with Montcliar.

Population of those 6 suburban counties in excess of 3 million people. Avg of their Household median income $73,000.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,883 times
The city and county of SF is one and the same. ^^^ Weird #s you are coming up with.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The city and county of SF is one and the same. ^^^ Weird #s you are coming up with.
I didnt come up with them the census bureau did. I post links with my data unlike Montcliar.

Look it up.

State and County QuickFacts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City