Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your not even sure what you statement is.
DUH! I made that clear right from the jump as well has stating that I didn't want to see this turn in to an "Atlanta vs ___________" thread.
Which brings me to ask, why even take it this far?

Quote:
For the million time Atlanta was voted 3rd on the inferiority complex poll and what you just describe was closer a inferiority complex which we have already been bash on that thread the right thread, this is a superiority complex thread and the wrong thread, because Atlanta is still brought up!
O...k... this is the Superiority thread, not the inferiority thread. Apparently I wasn't sure whether I felt it as inferior or superior so that gives me reason to put it in this thread. What ever happens in the inferiorty thread has nothing to do with this one. If you read the body you would see that ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION. MY OPINION, NOT THE LAW. Also, you see this has also turned into a bash Atlanta thread and at the hands of people from what city????

Quote:
is why Atlantans think your trying to be funny.
The only person to comment on my post and not agree was DeaconJ. If you do a search of every post in featuring WestbankNOLA & DeaconJ you will see the same petty argument over and over again with a different topic but same undertones.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
In my opinion, darn near all major cities have superiority complexes when it comes to other areas of the states they occupy.

For an example, many Atlantans make it seem as if you can't even see an automobile or anything other than farms in Georgia, unless it's in Atlanta..even though we have several other metropoltian cities (including Savannah which is a gem in itself) and the Golden Isles coastline.

So....yes...I think pretty much all major cities have superiority complexes in some regards.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've never understood the hoopla about Dallas. I've lived in Houston and Austin and traveled plenty to Dallas, but I never found anything about Dallas to like.
Dallas has an ever-growing light rail system and lots of handsome buildings, not just in the central area, and a TRE rail link to Fort Worth, that's enough to make it love-able. One of the most down-to-earth cities in Texas. Small wonder why this city can attract even east-coast corporations to relocate there. This city is on the move, destined to be an even greater giant of American cities, Chicago of the south.

Houston and Austin, IMO, are still nothing more than unruly teenagers yearning for adulthood.

This is one city that should have a superior attitude, but doesn't.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM

I would have to vote for San Fran-NIMBY (oops! I meant San Francisco) and Chicago. I have a hard time agreeing with New York City.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Dallas has an ever-growing light rail system and lots of handsome buildings, not just in the central area, and a TRE rail link to Fort Worth, that's enough to make it love-able. One of the most down-to-earth cities in Texas. Small wonder why this city can attract even east-coast corporations to relocate there. This city is on the move, destined to be an even greater giant of American cities, Chicago of the south.

Houston and Austin, IMO, are still nothing more than unruly teenagers yearning for adulthood.

Umm....

Austin? Yeah, I'd agree with you on that.

But Houston? Houston is every bit as "grown up" and advanced as Dallas. Actually it (the city) is larger than Dallas, has more fortune 500 companies (ranks 2nd in the US on this), and is highly regarded in Texas for its culture and arts. It has one of the largest ports in the world. The largest medical district in the world (which is set to be larger than Dallas' downtown soon! This is just a district... not Houston's main downtown.) It makes top museum city lists and top restaurant city lists often even more so than Dallas. If you really must call anything the "Chicago of the south" Houston is right up with Dallas in the running.

Anyone who knows anything about the Texas cities would never put Houston down on Austin's level in this regard. Austin is just a larger-than-average college town and state capital. Houston is huge, the nation's 4th largest city and the most international in Texas. No comparison.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Well, Dallas and Houston are all "unruly teenagers yearning for adulthood" at something. Austin shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Houston yearns for a better LRT system,(working on that), but is something Dallas already has.

Dallas yearns to become a cultural center with a notable art scene/museums (working on that), but Houston already has an established culture and notable museums/art scene.

The list goes on and on, but it goes down to preference, on which do you think is better.(Houston, imo).

But if either Dallas or Houston are an "unruly teenager yearning for adulthood"[and neither really are], my opinion is that its Dallas. Dallas(in general, not C-D posters) seems more like its vying to be a world-class city, while Houston is focusing on improving itself just because. On the other hand, Dallas wants to showcase itself on a pedestal to the world.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Based on this site I'd say San Francisco & New York City by far, its not like this in real life though.
Yeah I'd like to add Los Angeles & Atlanta to my list. I've noticed Chicago is almost there as well.

NYC, SF, LA, ATL, & CHI are not like this outside of CD.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM

I was just in Houston last week. I hit it at a bad time, it was freezing. Walking around downtown was like a ghost town during the day. I then discovered those amazing tunnels downtown and that explained the lack of pedestrians on the streets and the lack of restaurants. With all those restaurants and shops in the tunnels, I don't blame them, given their climate, to dive into those tunnels on cold days and I can only imagine the street life during the hot, humid summer days, everyone in the tunnels?

Reminded me so much of Minneapolis with their extensive skyway system.
Come the first cold day in the Fall, or the first hot day of summer, and everyone deserts the streets for the comfort of the skyways and the multitude of shops/restaurants, and the restaurants/shops along the streets suffer.

I probably should have given Houston more credit and I saw many signs of maturity, like taking the bus down Westheimer to the Galleria district, as I see increasingly more housing filling in the parking lots and around the periphery of the downtown area.

A rail link to the Galleria district would be a nice shot in the arm to that city. I did ride the one rail line there and I was impressed. There's a lot of potential for this city, but I feel Dallas is doing it a bit speedier.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 233,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSoxRuinedBaseball View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a post from any city that claims to be the center of the Universe. Chicago does its fair share of bashing and posturing. You ain't innocent.
Chicago is the Windy City. Nicknamed that because of some of its political history. But it continues to stick, because Chicagoans generally have big mouths. If you are going to have a reputation as having a big mouth you need to be able to accept that others might have an even bigger mouth.
I dont think Chicagoans have a big mouth, people just perceive us that way. Especially among African Americans from outside Chicago, because they say that we black Chicagoans are arrogant. Because of the fact that we have a lot of charisma and style, people portray it as arrogant. I don’t think we’re arrogant, we just have high appreciation for ourselves. Many urban youth from here have a certain swagger that attracts people from other cities. I notice when I go out of town, that I tend to have a certain charisma, style, and dress that sets me apart. When Im in another city, I often bump into people who claim gangs that started in Chicago and they are mesmorized by me. Because other people from Chicago have been there, brought our stupid gangs there, and other urban youth flock to our swagger. It's quite comical. But some people mistake our confidence for us being big mouths.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthrules View Post
Atlanta thinks they are the best, but in reality they are just one big, sprawled suburb.
HA! the exact same thing I thought about ATL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City