Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You guys are making a big deal out of city limits lines. Does it matter if its 2 big cities with a bunch of middle sized cities like DFW or one mid-sized city with hundredes of small suburbs like Atlanta? A metro area is a metro area period. It doesnt matter what sized the cities are in the metro area, its still a Metro area.

It matters not how the population in a metro area is distributed, its still all in one area. Dallas/Fort Worth and Metro Atlanta take up very similar land area's in square milage, so it is indeed an apples to apples comparrison.
I was taking about population not land area. A one on one Metro Dallas and Metro Atlanta, Dallas with out FT Worth is smaller than Atlanta. DFW is bigger because it's two cities! both of which metropolitan divisions are smaller than metro Atl by itself.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
+1!

Yet another over generalization based on nothing but their small world.
Really it funny both of these statement did come from the native populace of Atlanta . Not surprising .

Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Really it funny both of these statement did come from the native populace of Atlanta . Not surprising .
Well, duh. Wouldn't you think people who actually live here would have a better sense of what this town is about?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:

Sounds like a case of "the outside looking in" or maybe "the inside looking out".
There seems to be a general perception from the outside and there seems to be a general perception within of how the inside is being perceived, neither of which agree with each other.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, duh. Wouldn't you think people who actually live here would have a better sense of what this town is about?
I agree with you 100% I guess I could have reframed my statement a little better. I see how my comment may have been offensive to natives of the ATL. Hope all is forgiven...As a previous poster stated there as difference perception within the general ATLcommunity and outide of the ATL community and neither is completely right.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Guess again. I'm not a native, I just hate broad overgeneralized nonsense.

And quit watching the Real Housewives of Atlanta. It is hardly real.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100% I guess I could have reframed my statement a little better. I see how my comment may have been offensive to natives of the ATL. Hope all is forgiven...
Actually, I respect it a lot that you could turn around see how what you said can be misinterpreted.

For the record, there is a certain segment of the population here that could fit your definition. Those people however are the attention grabbing types who *cough* get their own televisions shows *cough* and such, and make it seem like that's how a lot of people act here. In fact, these types do everything to show off what they have with their material possessions, but when you peer behind the scenes there isn't much there. This type of mentality is just not relegated to Atlanta though. Thus is why there are 5 "Housewives" shows in different cities.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats actually not true. Atlanta has mainained a higher crime rate than Dallas for this decade. However, Dallas' crime rate is soaring right now so I dont know if that will always be the case. According to the Dallas Observer Dallas' Latino gang problem is out of control while Black gangs are mellowing out. Appearently Dallas has the fastest growing Asian gang scene in the country as well (but theyre mostly extorting their own people).
Dallas has hit number 1# in crime per capita a year in this decade Atlanta has not, Dallas has got better but over all Atlanta was safer.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
false again do you want me to name Bad Dallas neighborhood? Dallas crime rate for the most part in this decade is higher than Atlanta new topic.
Every huge city has bad neighborhoods. It is just more in your face in Atlanta. You just dont see this nearly as often in Dallas. In Atlanta you have to go all they up to Buckhead to have the same feeling you would in areas near Downtown Dallas such as Uptown and East Dallas and feel very safe walking at night and such. There is nowhere in the main areas of Dallas that is anything like Five Points in Atlanta or that area behind the Peachtree/Pine shelter. If these areas exist they are off the beaten path and do not affect tourism and business as it does in Atlanta. You people act like i'm just making this up to be argumentative. When outsiders where polled in Atlanta by the Chamber of Commerce this was their top complaint. This is simply not as much of an issue in Dallas. Sorry to tell you.

It seems as tho its more spreadout in Atlanta. I feel like Atlanta people are becoming defensive because when I was there everyone talked about how unsafe the city felt. There are even protest groups that have formed over the past couple years because of this. There is no denying that Atlanta has a bigger social issue concerning this.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I was taking about population not land area. A one on one Metro Dallas and Metro Atlanta, Dallas with out FT Worth is smaller than Atlanta. DFW is bigger because it's two cities! both of which metropolitan divisions are smaller than metro Atl by itself.
But take all the city limit signs out of it and what do have:

In North Texas you have 6,300,006 people living on 8,991 square miles of land with 12 counties and a density of 634 people per square mile.

In Norther Georgia you have 5,376,285 people living on 8,376 square miles of land with 27 counties and 630 people per square mile.

Both metro areas have over 300 cities not just one or two respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City