Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not sure about the idea that the city only focuses on one genre or that the local press doesn't pay attention to other genres. One of my favorite groups, The Indigo Girls, get a lot of local/national press and are very popular in Atlanta/elsewhere. John Mayer and Shawn Mullins are also two local artists that get a lot of attention. Many big groups from the recent past are also still around, like Drivin N Cryin, The Black Crowes, and Collective Soul.

There are several country artists from Atlanta that get a lot of local/national attention as well...Trisha Yearwood, Sugarland, and Confederate Railroad to name a couple. And don't forget that R&B is not Hip Hop...Atlanta has a pretty solid reputation for R&B.

It may seem like Atlanta is all Hip Hop if you're going by city-data discussions, but in reality it's the music scene is very diverse.
I know it does, and that was my point. If you just focus on one genre in Atlanta, your missing out on a ton of great music. As for the press, I was just going by the conversation which was complaining that the city only focuses on Hip Hop and I was assuming that included the local press based on some peoples comments. You live there, so you would know what's going on with the local press better than me.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I know it does, and that was my point. If you just focus on one genre in Atlanta, your missing out on a ton of great music. As for the press, I was just going by the conversation which was complaining that the city only focuses on Hip Hop and I was assuming that included the local press based on some peoples comments. You live there, so you would know what's going on with the local press better than me.
Yeah, I guess I was kind of agreeing with you...but it may not have come across that way. I get the feeling that some people have a very narrow view of Atlanta's music scene, at least online anyway. I wasn't necessarily including you in that group.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,843 times
Im so sick of this thing about this whole black mecca thing.... This was another attempt to get these Texans poster at it again about this black mecca issue..... We are going to say it Again hopefully for the last time. Atlanta is not were every black person comes to be successful There are plenty of other places were blacks are successful...Atlanta is Sorry for having a reputation through media around the USA for having a big influence on the African American culture.

Just like NYC, back in the day was the places where all the big jobs were and people from over seas would come there thinking it was the land of opprotunity and alot of them got a wake up call and realized it was not the land of milk and honey.... This applies for every city. Just because a city is labeled #1 for this and that doesnt mean that everyone is going to find success there.

These are somethings why people look atlanta as a melting pot for blacks
City Gov. and Population

numerous black entertainment venues and media ( Hip Hop awards and soul train awards lots of black films Black radio etc )

HBCU schools

Largest Black hair show (Bronner Brothers) and black hair salons and barbershops

Largest concentration of black gays and same sex couples

heavy influenced in black arts and music etc

Also black history in this city

Thats just some things. Atlanta has no control of who wants to move here. Hip Hop and R&B are one of our biggest music genres here almost every race listens too it. . If African Americans are viewing the city as such its a matter of there personal decision. Maybe they have friends who have become very successful around Atlanta and they are influenced by that. I pray that this arguement will go down the drain because its getting very OLD. Why dont yall write some of these Journalist and BET and The city council and ludacris and outkast etc tell them to stop hyping up Atlanta etc and let them know that is not right to be advertising one race over the other.....

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-14-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This was the exact point I was trying to make waaaay earlier in this thread but got jumped on. Its great that Atlanta has something about it that attracts blacks but it is glorified so much there that it is borderline offensive to other races/cultures that live there. All you hear in the media or on these threads are about what Atlanta offers its black community. I made a reference to hip hop giving Atlanta a bad image and someone responded with a statement saying "well why didnt it give NYC a bad reputation as well?". The answer to that is because NYC doesnt just focus on one race/culture, NYC takes pride in being multicultural. The whole black mecca thing will indeed slow down Atlanta's growth because other races have slowed their migration to the area. If you feel like blacks are the only ones welcome why would you move there?
this is killing really, when I was talking about Atlanta's latino population yall kept saying Atlanta wasn't on the Latino radar so how dare yall say Atlantans don't talk about other cultures umm no yall just ignoring it. It's funny because I just got done replying to some one in the Atlanta thread with a comment like yours so I"m going to quote my self

Quote:
what people are pointing out is Atlanta has a large black cultural scene, larger then most other major cities, not that Atlanta should only have a black culture scene. You interpret it that way because you don't like the fact that Atlanta does have a large black cultural scene or has a large urban music scene. Thus you made a few straw man, if Atlanta was known for other cultural scenes it still will be know for it's urban and black cultural scene.
The staw man is you tried to make it seem that if Atlanta's black or Urban cultural scene was smaller it would make the others bigger! instead of wanting all the cultural scenes in Atlanta to be big like the Black and urban cultural scenes. Then you tried to make it seem as if the black and urban cultural scenes are not part of multiculturalism in Atlanta, and they're size some how are holding others cultural scenes back or keeping those scenes from growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
That's exactly how I feel about it. All you hear or read about Atlanta is how it is this Mecca for blacks and how successful and thriving it is for black people there. It gets to the point where it comes off as if they are saying that Atlanta is the only place where black people can be successful and that isn't true. This tends to annoy people of any race, black included. Last time this came up I brought up the fact that Atlanta isn't the only place where black people can be successful and that people are given a false hope to go to Atlanta and I was told "but, Atlanta was the center of the Civil Rights Movement, blah blah blah" or "You're just putting Atlanta down and so on". That is what annoys aome people.
I responed this to earlier on this thread several times! yall trully are beating a dead horse. Atlanta isn't call the Black Meeca because it's a premise land, it's call the black Mecca because of the black population itself, You can't even name the people who you feel hype Atlanta into a premise land all you can say is people or the media oh yeah the hype LMAO! You are arguing against your own conclusion of what the term Black Meeca means and not anything any poster is deafening but even with your irational straw man that people hype Atlanta into a primise land, it like trying to argue LA isn't The Entertainment Capital of the World, by saying but not everyone is entertain by LA and it isn't a guarantee, your going there will make you a star so LA is hype
I just said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1. Dude the black population was here and was increasing before it even got notice, not the notice made the black population increase. My goodness DFW now probably has the black population Metro Atlanta had in the early 80s. But people are acting like all the sudden this recent attention from the black media is to why the black population is so large and why it's growing. Metro Atlanta has over 800,000 more blacks then DFW, so as yall call this recent "hype" did not create this gap, decades of a larger black population growth did.

2. the term "BLACK MECCA" honestly I just recently heard of the term and don't really care for it that much, but with or without the term Atlanta is still going to be Atlanta. furthermore the term is a nickname not a title yall are sounding so silly for taking it that seriously to be upset, because the term black mecca refer to Atlanta. So it really trip what me out when people me make threads like what will be the next black Meeca?, by the way DC is nickname Chocalate city. They're just nicknames folks and they're not a exclusive representation of there cities just to a specific demographic.
Quit beating a dead horse over a nickname, and quit talking about Atlanta's black population if yall don't want to hear about. Yall know where it's going to go and it isn't going to change, give it a rest! next topic please. there so more we can be discussing that better then yall dislike over one little nickname.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Im so sick of this thing about this whole black mecca thing.... This was another attempt to get these Texans poster at it again about this black mecca issue..... We are going to say it Again hopefully for the last time. Atlanta is not were every black person comes to be successful There are plenty of other places were blacks are successful...Atlanta is Sorry for having a reputation through media around the USA for having a big influence on the African American culture.
...and you came to this conclusion how exactly?
You like miss the entire point every single time.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Quote:
yall trully are beating a dead horse
and yet you keep dragging the horse back into the room so that it can be beat some more.

NOBODY HAS SAID that Atlanta claims to be the black mecca. We are talking perception. Stop getting so defensive and read. Almost every time you'll reply to something it is taken out of proportion or just completely miscomprehended.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
He did admit elsewhere that he was jealous that Atlanta was growing and Alabama is stagnant--as if Alabama's stagnant growth is Atlanta's fault. Apparently, he wants very badly for Alabama to catch up to and surpass metro Atlanta in population and growth but that's obviously not happening anytime soon. The sooner he realizes and accepts this fact, the better. God knows his uninformed criticism of Atlanta isn't doing anything for Alabama and it certainly doesn't reflect well on the otherwise fine residents of his state.
Why would I be jealous? I've never said that I was jealous of Atlanta. Why would I be jealous of a city?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
this is killing really, when I was talking about Atlanta's latino population yall kept saying Atlanta wasn't on the Latino radar so how dare yall say Atlantans don't talk about other cultures umm no yall just ignoring it. It's funny because I just got done replying to some one in the Atlanta thread with a comment like yours so I"m going to quote my self

I responed this to earlier on this thread several times! yall trully are beating a dead horse. Atlanta isn't call the Black Meeca because it's a premise land, it's call the black Mecca because of the black population itself, You can't even name the people who you feel hype Atlanta into a premise land all you can say is people or the media oh yeah the hype LMAO! You are arguing against your own conclusion of what the term Black Meeca means and not anything any poster is deafening but even with your irational straw man that people hype Atlanta into a primise land, it like trying to argue LA isn't The Entertainment Capital of the World, by saying but not everyone is entertain by LA and it isn't a guarantee, your going there will make you a star so LA is hype
I just said this

Quit beating a dead horse over a nickname, and quit talking about Atlanta's black population if yall don't want to hear about. Yall know where it's going to go and it isn't going to change, give it a rest! next topic please. there so more we can be discussing that better then yall dislike over one little nickname.
OKAY!!!!! getting old old old old A&M bulldog started this whole thing up and I knew The Those same 2 were going to respond to that mess. Can we please bury that subject... Please jesus!!!!

READ THIS!!!!
http://www.morehouse.edu/themaroontiger/archives/001776.html (broken link)

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-14-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This was the exact point I was trying to make waaaay earlier in this thread but got jumped on. Its great that Atlanta has something about it that attracts blacks but it is glorified so much there that it is borderline offensive to other races/cultures that live there. All you hear in the media or on these threads are about what Atlanta offers its black community. I made a reference to hip hop giving Atlanta a bad image and someone responded with a statement saying "well why didnt it give NYC a bad reputation as well?". The answer to that is because NYC doesnt just focus on one race/culture, NYC takes pride in being multicultural. The whole black mecca thing will indeed slow down Atlanta's growth because other races have slowed their migration to the area. If you feel like blacks are the only ones welcome why would you move there?
People took the "Black mecca" appellation and blew it up into something it was never meant to convey. The fact of the matter is that when you consider the history of Blacks in this country and how Atlanta, a Southern city, was very quick to embrace civil and economic equality for Blacks, it is very laudable and significant. Atlanta thus became a center of Black culture, and rightly so. At one point, it was one of only a handful of cities where Blacks weren't just doing OK for themselves, but they were actually prospering and thriving. Now other cities, such as my own, are joining that club and that's a great thing. But Atlanta has been and continues to recognized as a trailblazer in that era. The historic prosperity of Blacks there evokes a time when Blacks had their own self-sufficient, well-to-do communities (the Black "Wall Streets" in various cities) that were destroyed for one reason or another. Regardless as to what some think, Atlanta wouldn't be what it is today had it not been for early progressive leadership that caused the city to be a magnet for African Americans. And neither does the city's status as a "Black mecca" preclude other people of other races/ethnicities from moving to the city and doing well for themselves, which they have done and continue to do.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
...and you came to this conclusion how exactly?
You like miss the entire point every single time.
The thing is this has already been discussed once before why go right back into it .. A&M bulldog started this thing back up and now you guys are feeding right back into this can we drop this whole black mecca crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City