Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so cities should try to be one big brown glob of melted chocolate?

and do you mean one color? last i checked, all m&ms tasted the same lol
O..k.., Well make it a big bowl of Laffy Taffy or Skittles or something.

Seriously though, I didn't say any city should try to do anything. All I'm saying is that having different types of people don't make a place a melting pot from the jump.

(Wait no, M&M's come in Mint, Peanut Butter, Crispy, Peanut, Almond, Dark Choco., etc. I just thought of that, M&M's come in bookoo flavors. You had me for a minute.)

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-06-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
O..k.., Well make it a big bowl of Laffy Taffy or Skittles or something.

Seriously though, I didn't say any city should try to do anything. All I'm saying is that having different types of people don't make a place a melting pot from the jump.

(Wait no, M&M's come in Mint, Peanut Butter, Crispy, Peanut, Almond, Dark Choco., etc. I just thought of that, M&M's come in bookoo flavors. You had me for a minute.)
oh well you didn't say we were using different bags lol

Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicamomm View Post
Where are they? I just moved here from ATL for the job market and to be closer to aging family and have been majorly disappointed at the lack of blacks..2-9% in most suburbs? Are they all in Dallas and not the metro? I keep looking for the upper middle class AA that were sprinkled throughout the city of ATL...not to mention the white people.?..I miss the open-minded welcoming attitudes..where can I find that here?..
Dallas is very segregated. Most blacks in the metro live south of I-30. "We" aren't exactly welcome up in the northern burbs. What passes for "upper class" black communities pales in comparison to many other places.

"Open-Minded" and Dallas do not belong in the same sentence or Zip code. The Metroplex house-slave patsies are usually too busy telling folks what their false prophet megachurch pastors tell them. You're from Atlanta, so you'd should be used to that.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas is very segregated. Most blacks in the metro live south of I-30. "We" aren't exactly welcome up in the northern burbs. What passes for "upper class" black communities pales in comparison to many other places.

"Open-Minded" and Dallas do not belong in the same sentence or Zip code. The Metroplex house-slave patsies are usually too busy telling folks what their false prophet megachurch pastors tell them. You're from Atlanta, so you'd should be used to that.
lol...you just don't quit do you

lucky for us, we all know your posts haven't a shred of validity in them

Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Just to sum it up DFW is a Melting Pot....For people that love diversity....A black american from California or Flordia would have no problem adapting to DFW....but someone from a perdominately black town may have a tougher time....

This diversity thing is overrated I'm from Miami and trust the blacks are leaving Miami for places like Atlanta... All these cultures don't embrace each other if they did you wouldn't have all these ethinic nieghborhoods.. Everyone would be just live amongst each other... Indians are usually around Indians blacks are with blacks Latinos are with Latinos. You see more people hanging out with there own race verse people just blending together. So to me diversity is overrated..

Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Sorry to hear that you arent finding your niche in Dallas. The area does have one of the larger black populations in the country by raw numbers but the metroplex has a lot of people so the percentage is a lot lower than cities such as Atlanta or DC. I do feel that Atlanta has a lot more cultural and social offerings geared specifically toward blacks than what Dallas offers. But I think a lot of reasons for this is Dallas' offerings cross racial lines. You see a mixture of different people co-mingling rather than specific groups at certain places. Dallas could easily boast itself as a Latino city such as Atlanta refers to itself as a Black city but Dallas doesnt do that. I know you said you miss open minds, I dont think so much that its closed minded here. There just isnt the huge black percentage of the population that you're used to in Atlanta.
Can't believe your still trying this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7J6ijujUW0

Atlanta is Not viewed as just a place just for African Americans, and Dallas does get notice for it's large Latino population. There are lots of majority Latino Neighborhoods, majority African American Neighborhoods, and majority white neighborhoods around Dallas just like Atlanta. Do you want me to give you the names of these certain places with specific groups in DFW dude I lived 1/3 of my life out in the DFW area I know this. Dallas like Atlanta has a history of white flight, and ethnic enclaves that develop around DFW again just like Atlanta.

When I want to Lamar high school for 3 years in Arlington TX, the mornings went like this and the kids used to joke about this too. As soon as you got off the bus before you went into the school, was one of the areas that was majority Latino I taking about at least a hundred kids no exaggeration. As soon as you open the door and go inside your in this large hallway near the main gym the whole hallway was majority black, but if you go near the hallways of the practice gyms and the auditorium the majority of the kids were white. but other than schools I been to churches, malls, clubs, bars and etc that were clearly specific groups at certain places an it's just as common in Dallas-FT Worth as it is Atlanta. Dallas has less cultural and social offerings geared specifically toward blacks and Atlanta has less cultural and social offerings geared specifically toward Latinos, that dosen't gives Dallas any more or any less offerings cross racial lines. It's means demographics are different between Dallas and Atlanta.

1. You said Atlanta is ghetto, I ask you what is your definition of ghetto? and still no response 2. Then you literally generalize African Americans as racist in Atlanta which is painting a group of people as evil but you don’t see nothing wrong with that? 1.6 million people 99% of which you will never meet, so even if you did run into a black racist that statement will still be beyond ridiculous to make 3. Your trying paint Atlanta as extra segregate than use Dallas an example of a place that not? what? This is why Atlantans are jumping on you.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:43 PM

a commonly ignored fact is that a great deal of the latino population in these cities is illegals. the numbers of hispanics would not be what it is if the government were to crack down on immigration. even many of those who are american born are descendants of illegals

so you cant just look at a large mexican population and assume theyre going to be dominant, because in all actuality, many of them aint even supposed to be here

Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Isn't DFW the largest metropolitan area in the nation without a Tier-1 university? How dreadful. But doesn't surprise me in the least. So let's see what excuse the Dallas boosters have for that...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As is Atlanta........
yes,I see you caught that too.u got some "sneaky snakes" around theese parts.lol

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
oh well you didn't say we were using different bags lol
Say, I'm using every bag they make. (that'll be some nasty a** candy though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City