Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The wealthiest family I know (stinking filthy rich wealthy) all drove cares that were at least 15 years old and passed down through the family.

One of the nicest, down-to-earth, unpretentious families I ever met.
Spot On! I notice in Milwaukee's "old money" areas that this is very true. Nothing like an old 1995 Nissan Maxima outside a 3 million dollar home. However once you go out into the "new money" cookie cutter suburbs it's all the latest's and newest cars. You can also tell old money and new money by the type of suits they wear. I remember seeing a local Billionaire wear an old crusty suit with a 5.00 Packer hat that he had picked up at a local thrift shop. Then you see the young stud driving a Ferrari who is 30 yrs old and wears $5,000 suits and has a private plane. I have met and talked to both and you can bet who was the Jag Off and who was the nice guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,192,112 times
Tulsa, Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma. Tulsa has the hills, old money and potential. However being stuck in the past has prevented them from advancing. OKC has left them way behind.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 PM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Tulsa, Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma. Tulsa has the hills, old money and potential. However being stuck in the past has prevented them from advancing. OKC has left them way behind.
Sounds like Cleveland and Columbus.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 PM

92 posts, read 351,399 times
I would say NYC area (i.e. Manhattan), Los Angeles/orange County (people are materialistic and cocky) and parts of New England have snooty people.

Midwest, where I"m currently living, has more humble and down-to-earth people that I can interact with.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Sarasota, my current location......people are generally unfriendly here...we've been voted "meanest" city on numerous occassions and when it rains many of our residents drown...LOL.(noses too high up in the air).
I'm going to have to agree! I LOVE Sarasota.. my parents live there, and visiting them is like spending a week in a picture book. But some of the service people (especially in the tourist-y areas, like downtown and St. Armand's Circle) are very, very strangely rude. (I've heard Miami's worse.. I'd love to visit sometime and see for myself. I'm not a huge fan of the East Coast of FL in general, but I would love to check out some of Miami's historic neighborhoods.) I live in the DC area now, and, oddly, I've never found DC (or the DC suburbs) to be that snobby. Especially clerks in stores, etc. Parts of Manhattan and Chicago are much, much worse, IMO. I also agree that SoCal natives are usually *not* snobby (with millions of exceptions, of course, just like you'll find anywhere, and in both directions of the 'snobby' continuum).

As for the "Seattle freeze" thing, I'm very skeptical. Seattle, and the entire NW, is the friendliest region of the US, from my experience. I mean, you can be shopping in Seattle and a random stranger (not a homeless person - although I don't necessarily have a problem with a homeless person starting a conversation with me - I mean just an average middle-class person also shopping) will start a friendly conversation with you. If you're coming from another part of the country (almost any part), this can seem downright weird. Other parts of the country I've found to be almost (but not quite) on par with the Pacific NW in this sense are Texas and the Northern Midwest (Wisconsin, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City