Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times

Advertisements

Ha, Western Burbs of Minneapolis!

People there act like they are from the top-notch weathly areas, but the fact of the matter is that there are handfuls of communities scattered around the USA that would make their glorified McMansions seem like slums, it's quite funny.

"I'm the s.h.i.t. because my daddy bought a house on Lake Minnetonka" - Cool, you live on a lake in Minnesota, you're not that great man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
A word about Washington DC from a native:

First, let me disclose that I am not a Republican, and while not a registered Democrat, voted as such most recently.

A lot of Democrat/Liberal/Progressive leaning people I encounter online adamantly believe that "limousine liberals" and the "liberal elite" are just boogeymen made up by the right. While the right may exaggerate their presence, if you've lived in DC long enough, you know they definitely exist. The region is loaded with people from well-to-do backgrounds from private schools, driving luxury cars and jet-setting around the world, who believe that they are vastly morally superior to every republican, who are either just "greedy rich people", or are a bunch of stupid rednecks, aka people from outside the coasts who didn't go to fancy northeastern colleges, and therefore shouldn't have a say in public policy.

Furthermore, I've seen a pretty disturbing sense of materialism from the region's black middle class (wich I come from); growing up, I was twice as likely to get crap from other black kids about my clothes or shoes than from even the richest white people I knew, and many of their families seemed to spring for cars that were financial stretches.
Wow, this is the truest thing ive read in a while. VERY true.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Scottsdale, Arizona by far.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM

233 posts, read 720,951 times
I guess there are stuck-up people everywhere you go, but Sarasota, FL is one of the places I think of first. It's funny how they thing they have all this "culture" and are superior to other areas of the State. Oh well.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:19 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas: The city with no soul full of plastic people. DC has their share of stuck up $30K Millionaires too, but unlike most of the stuck up people in Dallas, a lot of these folks have the background and pedigree to back it up.
I blame some of the fake nightlife types on the presence of SMU...Southern Millionaire's University, as it is often called. Their students fill up places on McKinney and Greenville, and since a lot of them are from rich families, the avg Joes of town use platic to try and one-up them in order to score dates. I guess that is the Dallas/North Texas version of the Jersey Guidos.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
I blame some of the fake nightlife types on the presence of SMU...Southern Millionaire's University, as it is often called. Their students fill up places on McKinney and Greenville, and since a lot of them are from rich families, the avg Joes of town use platic to try and one-up them in order to score dates. I guess that is the Dallas/North Texas version of the Jersey Guidos.

Mmmmhmmm. Also, they fancy themselves as an Ivy-league level school. While their Business school and MBA programs are top-notch, SMU is nowhere near an Ivy-League level school. So of course, they have this attitude of being in this rarified atmosphere. It's actually pretty hilarious. Like most Dallasites, they think they're more than what they really are.

I think that Rice is the best private university in Texas.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Norwalk and Stamford are not affluent.
Actually, the 06903 zone of Stamford at 158K has one of the highest income levels in the county.http://www.city-data.com/zips/06903.html

And, unlike their western(Greenwich) and eastern(New Canaan) "old money" neighbors, they are somewhat obnoxious.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 02-15-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,236 times
Quote:
Mmmmhmmm. Also, they fancy themselves as an Ivy-league level school. While their Business school and MBA programs are top-notch, SMU is nowhere near an Ivy-League level school. So of course, they have this attitude of being in this rarified atmosphere. It's actually pretty hilarious. Like most Dallasites, they think they're more than what they really are.

haha totally agree. Are you from "Big D" or have lived there before?

And yes, Rice U is the best private university, if not the best university overall in Texas. UT-Austin and Texas A&M are of course the flagships with huge permanent endowments and with their medical schools, attract a lot more research dollars, but for being a small school, Rice more than pulls its weight.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,104,323 times
Quote:

Yeah, but every city in America has areas like that. NYC has Long Island, San Fran has Marin County, Chicago has Naperville, Atlanta has Alpharetta, Phoenix has Scottsdale.

No city in America has the market cornered on snootiness or being stuck up

Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Lets see:

New York has the Hamtons
LA has the O.C. and Beverly Hills
Chicago has Bannocburn, Wilmette/Winetka, Glencoe
Detroit has the Grosse Pointes
San Fran has Marin County
Phoenix has Scottsdale
Indianapolis has Carmel
Dallas-Fort Worth has Plano
Houston has Sugar Land
Washington DC has Reston

pretty much everywhere in America you will find snobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City