Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It depends. Some of the wealthiest people in the world reside on the "Gold Coast" but many of them are still driving their 1995 Volvo. No lie.
Good to hear! I just remember all those "Stepford Wives" type movies in the 1980s and 1990s, but was thinking they were likely exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Quote:
It depends. Some of the wealthiest people in the world reside on the "Gold Coast" but many of them are still driving their 1995 Volvo. No lie.
The wealthiest family I know (stinking filthy rich wealthy) all drove cares that were at least 15 years old and passed down through the family.

One of the nicest, down-to-earth, unpretentious families I ever met.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You can find a lot of snobs in Manhattan (NYC). It's either that or they are just plain too busy for the common folk.

I.E. A lot of these people are transplants and foreigners.
Same thing in New England. The most stuck up people seem to be transplants from other areas of the country.

Currently I live in Kansas City and over the years here I've encountered a lot of people here that think their doo doo does not stink.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The wealthiest family I know (stinking filthy rich wealthy) all drove cares that were at least 15 years old and passed down through the family.

One of the nicest, down-to-earth, unpretentious families I ever met.

They're probably old money. That's why their money is "old" because they've spent and invested wisely rather than blow it on a ton of "toys". They do tend to be more humble than the so-called "noveau riche" and parvenu.

To answer this, when I lived in Mississippi, there is a suburb of Jackson called Madison, and I found the people there to be quite snotty and have an inflated sense of self-worth. I will admit that this is a generalization and I did meet some down-to-earth people that lived there, but they lived in the area when it was a rural area before it became a booming suburb.

I've heard that North Dallas and Plano have their share of snotty people.

Last edited by grindin; 12-22-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
Quote:
lol, nice!
yeah, its that "old money" wealth where people don't really need to show off...

edit: just read your post grindin

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've heard that North Dallas and Plano have their share of snotty people.
Funny thing is, I live in North Dallas and I find people here to be similar to how they were in California. I have been to other parts of Dallas where I have found people to be (not really snobby) but a little fake.

I would nominate Austin as a place I have found snotty people. Not snobby in what you think of, but with a certain attitude thats "liberaler-than-thou". When I go down there for work and I tell them Im from LA and I choose to move to Dallas, they act like Im from another planet. "How could you possibly want to live there?", "Why would you go there instead of Austin?", "People there are so materialistic, but here in Austin, people are so down to earth and friendly!", "Dallas is full of snobs and Houston is a toilet, Austin is the saving grace of Texas". I have heard all of those statements while being in Austin. The funny thing is in Dallas and Houston, people seem to act like Austin doesnt exist.

I dont get why people think there are alot of snobs in LA. People in LA are for the most part extremely laid back and tolerant of just about anything. There are exceptions. Beverly Hills, Westwood, Baldwin Park, and Rancho Park. Ive met my fair share of snobs there, but overall not so much. People in the South Bay, Long Beach, the Gateway Cities (Cerritos, Bellflower, Artesia, Cypress, Whittier, etc.) and Northern Orange County are some of the most laid back in the world. They dont care where youre from, who you are, where youre going, who you worship, or whatever.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Funny thing is, I live in North Dallas and I find people here to be similar to how they were in California. I have been to other parts of Dallas where I have found people to be (not really snobby) but a little fake.

I dont get why people think there are alot of snobs in LA. People in LA are for the most part extremely laid back and tolerant of just about anything. There are exceptions. Beverly Hills, Westwood, Baldwin Park, and Rancho Park. Ive met my fair share of snobs there, but overall not so much. People in the South Bay, Long Beach, the Gateway Cities (Cerritos, Bellflower, Artesia, Cypress, Whittier, etc.) and Northern Orange County are some of the most laid back in the world. They dont care where youre from, who you are, where youre going, who you worship, or whatever.
I used to live in SoCal long ago before I made the move south. I have contemplated a move to Dallas, so I guess I could hang with Dallas people okay, huh?

I have family in the South Bay (Carson/Long Beach) that have snobby ways though. I like to think they're exceptions to the rule though.

My family that lives out in the Inland Empire are a lot more chill and laid back.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,902 times
Quote:
I'll give Connecticut this. A lot of people I've met who were from there tend to downplay their wealth and affluence, driving middle-class cars like Volvos, Toyotas, and Volkswagens; along with countering how they aren't that wealthy when someone would try to ask them how rich their family is. they are pretty pleasant to associate with.

Now the nouveau rich - which I found to be the case more of people from the suburban areas of New York and Jersey - are way more snobby and stuck-up, and hence more nauseating. This was not everyone from there, but it was the majority. Ironically, these are the same families who are usually one layoff or divorce away from slipping into the lower-middle class segment.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 12-22-2009 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 AM

217 posts, read 693,123 times
manhattan...because people in harlem and the bronx are okay, but them rich people get on my ****ing nerves in manhattan...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

I would nominate Austin as a place I have found snotty people. Not snobby in what you think of, but with a certain attitude thats "liberaler-than-thou". When I go down there for work and I tell them Im from LA and I choose to move to Dallas, they act like Im from another planet. "How could you possibly want to live there?", "Why would you go there instead of Austin?", "People there are so materialistic, but here in Austin, people are so down to earth and friendly!", "Dallas is full of snobs and Houston is a toilet, Austin is the saving grace of Texas". I have heard all of those statements while being in Austin. The funny thing is in Dallas and Houston, people seem to act like Austin doesnt exist.

There are ridiculous people everywhere, but L.A. had some of the least snobby people from my experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City