Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I got family within the DC area and the people there are very arrogant. I use to visit DC often; even the people there admit they feel superior to the rest of us and this is coming from natives.

My roommate is from DC and he acts just like what I describe. I'm not saying everyone there is like this though.

Yeah, I'll have to concede and agree with this the more I think about it. I guess being the nation's capital, people do tend to have a big head out there. Most DC people I know of tend to look down on Baltimore too! And these are folks from some of the hoodest parts of DC and PG County.

I have considered relocating to the "DMV" area if I don't move to Texas, but considering the cost of living, the weather, the congestion, and some other headaches I know I'd have to deal with, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. It would be excellent for my career (I'm in communications), but would it be worth it in the long run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Stereotype much, don't we? Most of the "snotty" people in the DC area tend to be transplants, but yes, people in Bethesda can come off as VERY snotty.

Although my family in the DC suburbs of Maryland are always forever talking slick about Atlanta, talking about how "country" we are . As if Maryland is the epitome of urbane...
That would explain my horrible new neighbors. They moved here from Bethesda for the CDC.

This is a very friendly neighborhood, where we all wave at each other, stroll around at night visiting while walking our dogs, etc. These people have been here for almost a year, and have already earned the nickname of "the ice sticks".

Ice for personality, stick for well, you know........

Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
From what I've heard, the "non sensationalized" parts of LA like Carson, Long Beach, Anaheim, Pasadena, Burbank, and Hawthorne are very chill, laid back, open minded, integrated, and friendly. I would've loved to have been raised in those towns during my teenage years, and if I ever had to work in the Los Angeles area, those towns would be my preferable places to live in.

But after years of dealing with DC area snobbishness, any sort of SoCal snobbishness would be a relief.
Long Beach is great. I was actually about to live there.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM

182 posts, read 540,719 times
Quote:
As if Maryland is the epitome of urbane...
Hahaha, so true!!!

That's the funniest part about DC area snobbery, there's really nothing to be snobby about! Every day you hear something about how high incomes are around here, but big whoop! There's many more pieces to the "wealth" puzzle than just a big salary and overpriced home. Yawn...

Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 10,275 times
Beverly Hills,Bel-Air,West Hollywood

Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
snooby?

do you mean snobby?

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
Hahaha, so true!!!

That's the funniest part about DC area snobbery, there's really nothing to be snobby about! Every day you hear something about how high incomes are around here, but big whoop! There's many more pieces to the "wealth" puzzle than just a big salary and overpriced home. Yawn...
I know, right? I mean, I like the area enough, I like the urban environment of many parts of the District as well as the excellent cultural amenities. However, in terms of day-to-day living in the suburbs, I really wasn't that impressed with many parts of the area and the expense involved. Taxes in Maryland are some of the highest in the country. I'm no conservative by any means, but damn, you REALLY pay the piper up there!

Like I said, I understand the panache and prestige that comes with being the Nation's Capital, but at the same time, I couldn't see myself settling up there with a family. I'm sure millions of people up there do it and do it just fine, but I'm questioning it.

FWIW, even my relatives up there were telling me to "think twice" about moving to the area.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
OMG! This made me spray my coffee!

Its true!

Check out some of the posts on the thread "am I the only one that likes the NY accent?"

It is quite funny

Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I got family within the DC area and the people there are very arrogant. I use to visit DC often; even the people there admit they feel superior to the rest of us and this is coming from natives.

My roommate is from DC and he acts just like what I describe. I'm not saying everyone there is like this though.
But most Washingtonians are, at least those who are in the beltway. Many of the genuinely cool and laid back Washingtonians have either been priced out of anywhere decent or have fled the area the first chance they got.

And as for snobbishness, it amazes me when people complain about Northern VA being snooty when I consistently run across much more stuck up people in DC and Maryland. There is a spillover of snootyness into Arlington County, which is why I guess a lot of Marylanders don't diss that place, or not as much as they will trash the rest of Virginia (even the other parts of NoVA like Fairfax and Loudoun).

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 12-22-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
They're probably old money. That's why their money is "old" because they've spent and invested wisely rather than blow it on a ton of "toys". They do tend to be more humble than the so-called "noveau riche" and parvenu.

To answer this, when I lived in Mississippi, there is a suburb of Jackson called Madison, and I found the people there to be quite snotty and have an inflated sense of self-worth. I will admit that this is a generalization and I did meet some down-to-earth people that lived there, but they lived in the area when it was a rural area before it became a booming suburb.

I've heard that North Dallas and Plano have their share of snotty people.
What about Highland Park and University Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City