Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times

Advertisements

Naples, Florida is stuck up and snobby retired rich people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,670,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Washington, DC
Los Angeles (away from the beach and ghetto communities, but many of the surrounding suburbs are more laid-back)
Seattle (haven't been there and would love to visit, but have met enough people from there to think that perhaps it really is that snobby)

And, for two surprises:
Louisville, KY (although much of the city west of Bardstown Rd. has more down-to-earth folks)
Lexington, KY (spend a week there and see what I mean)
Yes, Seattle can be snobby, because it is quite provincial and there are many wealthy folks in the area who believe it is the be-all and end-all. (However, they may have a point when you look into the area). Plus, wealthy Seattleites tend to be rather private and do not like to display their wealth...another type of snobbishness.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiehler View Post
My wife and I live in Lexington, KY and we absolutely cannot wait to move. This city is by FAR the snobbiest place we've ever lived. People most of the time won't talk to you or even acknowledge you because you aren't worth their time. Most of them go to Southland Christian Church and truly believe they are above everyone else because where they attend services...(If you've lived here any amount of time, you would know what I mean) If you are not from KY, you are considered an outsider and will NEVER be accepted.

This attitude is also expressed by some of the most inconsiderate drivers who feel they can run red lights and pull out in front of you. They will do their best to pretend they didn't see you...the people here are FAKE.

As for the driving situation, I'm from NY, so that truly speaks volumes.
There is some beautiful countryside around Lexington, Ky though! I love all the horse farms.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 AM

648 posts, read 1,619,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think "Gold Coast of Connecticut" was traditionally seen as snooty. (Greenwich, Norwalk, Stamford) Don't know if it is though. Possibly parts of Orange County, California have a reputation like that.
Norwalk and Stamford are not affluent. Norwalk has many hispanics who work for the affluent in the surrounding wealthy towns as cleaning people and landscape workers who mow their lawn and trim their bushes in the yard.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,947 times
All the people in Washington DC who are involved in politics are the snobbiest people I've ever, ever met. I'm not talking government employees (although some of them are political), but the actual, political people. Anyone who works for this or that lobby, this or that Congressman, etc. is drunk on whatever power they perceive themselves having. I think they get euphoric anytime they're in a fancy colonial-style room or office.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
I've heard of the "Seattle Freeze" when it comes to the "friendliness" (or lack thereof) when it comes to that city.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,759 times
A word about Washington DC from a native:

First, let me disclose that I am not a Republican, and while not a registered Democrat, voted as such most recently.

A lot of Democrat/Liberal/Progressive leaning people I encounter online adamantly believe that "limousine liberals" and the "liberal elite" are just boogeymen made up by the right. While the right may exaggerate their presence, if you've lived in DC long enough, you know they definitely exist. The region is loaded with people from well-to-do backgrounds from private schools, driving luxury cars and jet-setting around the world, who believe that they are vastly morally superior to every republican, who are either just "greedy rich people", or are a bunch of stupid rednecks, aka people from outside the coasts who didn't go to fancy northeastern colleges, and therefore shouldn't have a say in public policy.

Furthermore, I've seen a pretty disturbing sense of materialism from the region's black middle class (wich I come from); growing up, I was twice as likely to get crap from other black kids about my clothes or shoes than from even the richest white people I knew, and many of their families seemed to spring for cars that were financial stretches.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,393 times
Dallas has a reputation of having a lot of fake folks. "$30k millionaires"--basically wannabes. Dallas has a lot of rich folks and a lot of old money in places like Highland Park. Those folks might or might not be snobby, but they're rich and it's easy to see them be that way...their lifestyles are to keep up with the Joneses...in Manhattan and LA, afterall. But beyond that set, Dallas has a lot of barbies and kens, to a point where "Keep Dallas Pretentious" is an unofficial slogan, a riff on Austin's "Keep Austin Weird". The down-to-earth, liberal/progressive set in Dallas is supposed to be in Lakewood and more recently in Oak Cliff/Kessler Park. I can see Oak Cliff, but Lakewood too is pretty snooty, IMO. I don't know why this is the case, but it is.

Check out:

$30,000 Millionaires - It's not what you make...it's what you fake.

Dallas News - $30,000 Millionaires: Douchebags in the Mist - page 1

Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,759 times
Another thing on general snobbery: I briefly attended an independent school with a few kids who might be considered legitimately rich. Mostly, these guys were pretty laid back and carefree, and didn't make a big deal out of clothes etc. The real snobs are frequently the families who have enough to live a nice lifestyle, but aren't real "big shots".

Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
Dallas has a reputation of having a lot of fake folks. "$30k millionaires"--basically wannabes. Dallas has a lot of rich folks and a lot of old money in places like Highland Park. Those folks might or might not be snobby, but they're rich and it's easy to see them be that way...their lifestyles are to keep up with the Joneses...in Manhattan and LA, afterall. But beyond that set, Dallas has a lot of barbies and kens, to a point where "Keep Dallas Pretentious" is an unofficial slogan, a riff on Austin's "Keep Austin Weird". The down-to-earth, liberal/progressive set in Dallas is supposed to be in Lakewood and more recently in Oak Cliff/Kessler Park. I can see Oak Cliff, but Lakewood too is pretty snooty, IMO. I don't know why this is the case, but it is.

Check out:

$30,000 Millionaires - It's not what you make...it's what you fake.

Dallas News - $30,000 Millionaires: Douchebags in the Mist - page 1

Dallas: The city with no soul full of plastic people. DC has their share of stuck up $30K Millionaires too, but unlike most of the stuck up people in Dallas, a lot of these folks have the background and pedigree to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City