Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Cities with palm trees and beaches look less urban and more rural; this leads to the notion that this place may be not as ghetto. Ghetto being associated with urban slums; urban slums being associated with the "concrete jungle", simply refer to anywhere in the Bronx or Detroit. A place like Oakland or Miami seems more rural due to the fact it has an abundance of palm trees and other non urban characteristics.. is what i'm saying. Which looks more depressing.. a frozen urban slum with rampant pollution, vacant brick (half demolished) run down lots, or a palm tree infested Oakland with stucco houses; accompanied with some nice warm weather. Which looks less appealing to you?
There are some REALLY destroyed and rundown looking stucco houses in FLA and CA, that look almost as bad as the brick buildings up north. But I'll admit, the ghettos up north are insanely messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Actually it looks extremely rural to be honest.
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Do you know what rural is?

Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Rural to you, but to someone who grew up with them and sees them on every street, NO. Now trees like pine trees are extremely rural to me because I am all around palm trees. Remember different geographical area qualify for different meanings with words.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Hard to pick one....

Southern half of the Bronx, most of Brooklyn, Washington Heights in NY

Roseland and Austin sections of Chicago

East Cleveland

Most of Miami

Alief in Houston

East LA, South central LA

Most of Detroit

North side of Rochester NY

many other ghetto looking areas in other cities as well

Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 AM

132 posts, read 356,360 times
Default l

This Proves my case for Cleveland Even More, Cincy's OTR was pretty bad but its a lot of places like that in Cleveland like 55th and cedar, carneigie, and its a street in East Cleveland with literally all abandonded homes on it and before you say East Cleveland is a different city CLeveland is in the process of combining the two cities. And East Cleveland is 30-45% abandoned homes.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defatheist View Post
ROFL, the paint was probably donated
Maybe if they painted those buildings in Camden and Detroit and East Cleveland pink and robin's egg blue and pale yellow and light purple and white, they wouldn't look so.... uh, ghetto!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
There is nothing wrong with that picture. It shows true diversity in architecture, and you do NOT FIND much like this anywhere outside of New York City or Boston in this country. Obviously you do not know much about Over The Rhine, and what is has to offer. What, you think you know it because you once lived there and have been through it a few times, or maybe not even that, you read articles on it and think you know everything. Sorry, Over The Rhine is a true gem, and you don't find really much like it in this country.

Over The Rhine, photos just recently taken:

A Rejuvenated Over-the-Rhine (Cincinnati)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defatheist View Post
OTR
Once again, your picture does not even serve justice. You can see in both pictures there is construction going on. Really?! Its an area seeing tens of millions in new investment in just 2009 alone.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Camden..

http://www.dvrbs.com/ccwd-ww2/WW2-H-Binnix-ARL-StoN.jpg

I'm sure Detroit has depressing ghettos as well.
That me reminds me of Amsterdam from The Wire.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That me reminds me of Amsterdam from The Wire.
You mean Hamsterdam. And to me it doesn't. Those rows don't look like Baltimore rows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City